Force Hikivison iVMS-4200 to record large video in multiple windows

Reaction score
Hello,
first post here. If this is not in the correct forum, I hope somebody can move it for me.

I have a 5 Swann IP cameras I purchased at Costco some time ago, and when I use the Hikivision software on my computer to try and record more than one window at a time, it records a very tiny 640x480 video instead of 1080p. IF I open only one window and have it full-screen in the software ( iVMS-4200 on a Windows 10 computer ) and hit the record screen button, I get 1080p video, or 4K video on my 1 and only 4K IP cam ( Swann )

Does anyone know how to get those cameras to record at full resolution if you have all camera windows showing at the same time ? and hitting the record button on a few of them one after the other ? Even if I hit just one camera to record in this multi-window view, it will still only record at a low 640x480.

thanks for any help !

StewartM

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
You'd be better off using BlueIris. IVMS-4200 is not the most intuitive. It's a long shot, but have you tired in IVMS-4200: Tool>System Configuration>Image and unchecked Auto-change Stream Type?

Reaction score
Hi Stewart ! Wow, you are a genius ! You said it was a long shot, so I didn't try this when I first saw it, but figured I'd give it a go this morning. Fired up the software, and opened my first camera screen to full-screen and started recording. Went back to my multi-cam view, chose a second camera, made it full screen, and started recording. I then went back to multi-view. Waited 20 seconds or so to get some footage, and then stopped the recordings. I crossed my fingers, and guess what ! ---- IT WORKS ! so a big big thank you to you !
I realize that Blue Iris is on-sale right now, and if one is ready to purchase, now is the time.... I did some searching, and have not found any good video reviews, - so is Blue Iris years beyond iVMS-4200 ? - I will say that this iVMS software is NOT user friendly, it's actually terrible, but if you are just sitting in front of the computer monitor, it's a nice looking screen, but as far as options, it's hard to use. I realized only today that this forum seems to be owned by the Blue Iris people, so I guess that's why it's mostly Blue Iris people here using it. Are there any good reviews, or tutorials on YouTube that show a new user good tricks, starting points I wonder... hmm... I have done some looking on YouTube and most videos are just bad and really old. Ba-humbug LOL. Anyway - THANK YOU for that suggestion ! -- it works !