Format on nas works fine but dissapears

Reaction score
Hi there all,

i have here in my home 4 camera's and they all record on a Qnap nas.
All the camera's are WR models from Hikvision so suitable for the European Market.
But only one camera if i format the partition on the Qnap-nas seems to be successfull and says format complete.
But the next time i look at the settings in the camera or IVMS 4200 it says the disk is unformatted and then i have to format the disk again. So i can not get the disk (separate directory) formatted to record files from the camera.
I checked all the networksettings from all the camera's and all the settings are the same.
I am getting hopeless to get this camera working on my nas.

Thanks for all your kind help in advance and i hope you can help me out on this,

Regards Willem

alastairstevenson

Staff member
Reaction score
Depending on the version of the camera firmware - and don't ask me what version goes up to which size as I don't know - the NAS volume size that the camera is able to 'format' has a maximum size of around 200GB for the 5.2.5 firmware.
This is volume size, not free space.
On the QNAP NAS you have a couple of solutions -
Use SMB/CIFS and assign a per-user quota to limit the size.
If your NAS has the LVM capability (Logical Volume Manager) that allows you to create volumes of arbitrary size, you can use an NFS share as well.
Also - it's a share per camera, the firmware objects to 'foreign' files in the assigned volume.

Reaction score
Thanks Alistair i am gonna try if i can get this work out as you mentioned, the firmware on my cams is V5.4.5 170124.
Hopefully its works i'm spending days searching on the internet for this problem.
I'll let you know if it works,

Regards Willem

P.S. i did not send you the camera yet we discussed a while ago, excuses

Reaction score
Hi there Alistair,

the setting did not workout with the settings on my nas.
Hereby i send you two screenshots of hdd format from the camera's.
Maybe you can see why the one shows the space on the hdd and the other not.
It's Dutch but i think it shows enough
Thanks againCam 1.JPG Cam 2.JPG
Thanks againCam 1.JPG Cam 1.JPG Cam 2.JPG

alastairstevenson

Staff member
Reaction score
Maybe you can see why the one shows the space on the hdd and the other not.
Are you using separate shares for each camera?
I have not examined this for firmware 5.4.5 - but on the older firmware it was necessary to have different shares for each camera.

Reaction score
Hi there Alistair, yes i did but still no usable space for this camera while the other ones work fine.
I can format/initialize the disk but after 5 minutes its gone and says unformatted or disk offline.
I',m getting grazy not finding the solution for this problem.
It's not a chinese camera and it has WR in the serialnumber which stands for World Region.
What can i do wrong i don't know anymore.
Maybe this is a bit strange in the file i upload with this thread
Knipsel.JPG
This does not seem to be correct.

Regards Willem

ATM

n3wb
Reaction score
Hi
I'm facing the same problem: one camera works fine and the 2nd gets the HD (Synology NAS) unformatted a while after the formatting is finished successfully !!
This makes me crazy. I checked the setting of the two cameras and are identical and I reformatted HD of camera2 no less than 5 times, with no success.

Were you able guys, since 2017, to fix it please ?

Thanks for your help
ATM

alastairstevenson

Staff member
Reaction score
Were you able guys, since 2017, to fix it please ?
depending on the firmware version, there used to be a maximum volume size (not free space) of around 200GB, above which the camera would not handle the storage.
That ceiling has been raised in newer firmware, maybe removed altogether, but I have not studied what each version can handle, sorry.
What worked on a QNAP NAS as an easy way to explore the limits was to apply user quotas.
This had the same effect as changing the size of the shared volume.

Presumably you can experiment with either the shared volume size if it's a flexible allocation, or maybe user quotas (SMB shares) to resolve the problem.

ATM

n3wb
Reaction score
Thank you for your prompt answer

Indeed, my 2 cameras have exactly the same, model, firmware version, configuration…
The Synology user has already quota set to 4To.
The camera I set up first is working fine and is already using 1,5 To.
The second fails with the same firmware !!!
I tried to use a different shared folder for the second by this has no effect.

I resent a second mail to hikvision support (the first one had no answer for weeks); hope they will provide some help.
Will keep you posted

BR
ATM

SouthernYankee

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
Contact the company you purchased the hikvision camera from. Hikvision does not provide end user support.

alastairstevenson

Staff member
Reaction score
The Synology user has already quota set to 4To.
The camera will not support a shared volume of that large size.
Shrink the volume, or change the user quotas (SMB shares) to determine where the threshold of support is.

**edit**
Are you using separate shared volumes for each camera?
That is necessary for correct operation.

ATM

n3wb
Reaction score
Hi,

I'm pleased to share with you the solution I found.

Indeed Hikvision provides not help nor the online distributor where I bought the cameras.

I tried several configurations based on your advices and finally this worked for me:
- I kept one shared folder with 4 To
- one directory for each camera
- I activated Windows file services (and kept NFS services disabled)
- the good idea was to create a new synology user for each camera and to split the 4To between them using quota and give them R/w rights on the shared folder
- in the camera configuration interface of each camera, I reconfigured the storage using its specific syno user (Cifs mount), I formatted the HD and restarted the camera
and this is working

My cameras are recording on the same shared folder of 4To :)

Hope this could help
BR