Foscam cameras dropping off BI

monty77

n3wb
Reaction score
I have a BI server talking to 5 cameras. 4 Foscam, 1 YCam. The Foscams have developed an annoying fault lately of dropping off the grid. I can get them back by restarting the switch, the camera itself is still up and lights on etc..

I seems like (and backed up by a few posts) the the Foscam cameras become unresponsive once they have a few connections active and wont talk again until some are released.

Anyone else seen this? How do I monitor the number of connections BI is making, or perhaps there's a way of seeing connection logs from the camera end too - as far as I can see in the Foscam log I only see GUI logon requests though.

I'm running BI 3.49.06 (I know it's old but didn't see a compelling reason to upgrade to 4.x).

Cheers

fenderman

Staff member
Reaction score
I have a BI server talking to 5 cameras. 4 Foscam, 1 YCam. The Foscams have developed an annoying fault lately of dropping off the grid. I can get them back by restarting the switch, the camera itself is still up and lights on etc..

I seems like (and backed up by a few posts) the the Foscam cameras become unresponsive once they have a few connections active and wont talk again until some are released.

Anyone else seen this? How do I monitor the number of connections BI is making, or perhaps there's a way of seeing connection logs from the camera end too - as far as I can see in the Foscam log I only see GUI logon requests though.

I'm running BI 3.49.06 (I know it's old but didn't see a compelling reason to upgrade to 4.x).

Cheers
Upgrade is 30 bux... there are tons of new features, timeline, synchronized playback, security enhancement.. it's more than likely the cameras are just crapping out because they are foscam or if you are using WiFi, your connection...

monty77

n3wb
Reaction score
Upgrade is 30 bux... there are tons of new features, timeline, synchronized playback, security enhancement.. it's more than likely the cameras are just crapping out because they are foscam or if you are using WiFi, your connection...
If it is BI issue I'm not about to upgrade blindly to see if that's the case, will see if I can install latest version and see if issue persists first.

Not using WiFi, everything is gigabit ethernet.

fenderman

Staff member
Reaction score
If it is BI issue I'm not about to upgrade blindly to see if that's the case, will see if I can install latest version and see if issue persists first.

Not using WiFi, everything is gigabit ethernet.
you are not upgrading blindly as I explained there are many functional and security improvements- at least 100 or so....im sure you will survive the 30 dollar hit....since you have not upgraded blue iris and surely this issue has not been occurring for the last 3 years, why do you suddenly believe its blue iris?

monty77

n3wb
Reaction score
you are not upgrading blindly as I explained there are many functional and security improvements- at least 100 or so....im sure you will survive the 30 dollar hit....since you have not upgraded blue iris and surely this issue has not been occurring for the last 3 years, why do you suddenly believe its blue iris?
...improvements I have not missed thus far. I will indeed survive the 30GBP hit.

Agreed, I'm not sure at this stage. The pattern fits the 4 connection Foscam limit however, and the only thing connecting to the cameras is BI. If someone knows a way of getting some more verbose info out of BI regarding the connections it makes that'd be great - it would well be a Foscam connection issue that makes it reconnect in the first place, but it'd be nice to see it happening.

fenderman

Staff member
Reaction score
...improvements I have not missed thus far. I will indeed survive the 30GBP hit.

Agreed, I'm not sure at this stage. The pattern fits the 4 connection Foscam limit however, and the only thing connecting to the cameras is BI. If someone knows a way of getting some more verbose info out of BI regarding the connections it makes that'd be great - it would well be a Foscam connection issue that makes it reconnect in the first place, but it'd be nice to see it happening.
so you are running blue iris over vpn? surely you are not port forwarding blue iris for remote view right? So you dont need any of the security improvements.
you havent missed them because you dont have a clue what they are...
you cant get any info out of blue iris because version 3 is no longer supported and you dont have a support plan...but keep tinkering....well worth your time....eventually you'll pry the 30 dollars out of your hand...

fenderman

Staff member
Reaction score
I've been having probs with my Foscam too recently and I'm narrowing it down to BI (possibly). It loses the IP address and then I have to reset the camera like what you are doing. It started when the BI app was updated on my phone. When trying to troubleshoot at that time I heard that the client was a new version so I updated that too. When I delete the camera from BI and view with a browser only, the camera does not seem to crash. I'm hardwired, have static ip. I've reset the camera.
the op is running a 4+ year old version - 3.49...that was never updated...your issue is not related...email support and revert back to an older version..understand that when streaming via the browser the same protocols are not used so its not a valid test...you must stream to vlc via rtsp..avoid foscam in the future..

monty77

n3wb
Reaction score
I've been having probs with my Foscam too recently and I'm narrowing it down to BI (possibly). It loses the IP address and then I have to reset the camera like what you are doing. It started when the BI app was updated on my phone. When trying to troubleshoot at that time I heard that the client was a new version so I updated that too. When I delete the camera from BI and view with a browser only, the camera does not seem to crash. I'm hardwired, have static ip. I've reset the camera.
I don't reset the camera, I reset the switch killing any open connections to the camera hence me assuming it's something to do with the connection limit

so you are running blue iris over vpn? surely you are not port forwarding blue iris for remote view right? So you dont need any of the security improvements.
you havent missed them because you dont have a clue what they are...
you cant get any info out of blue iris because version 3 is no longer supported and you dont have a support plan...but keep tinkering....well worth your time....eventually you'll pry the 30 dollars out of your hand...
I've upgraded for the 30 POUND fee and it is a little nicer, still ultimately doing what it did before but it's nice to be supported again :)

fenderman

Staff member
Reaction score
I don't reset the camera, I reset the switch killing any open connections to the camera hence me assuming it's something to do with the connection limit

I've upgraded for the 30 POUND fee and it is a little nicer, still ultimately doing what it did before but it's nice to be supported again :)
you could have paid 30 DOLLARS via paypal...but too late...right so the security improvements dont matter...timeline doesnt matter....new motion detection dont matter and all the improvements below don't matter. I cant fix stupid.
What's New

As updates are released, this page will be updated with a detailed list of what's new and what's been changed.

4.6.6 - January 4, 2018

• Happy New Year!

• Primarily a big fix release

• Support for H.265 video on SUNBA and other port 34567 camera streams

• Camera windows displaying "inactive" or an error message will now always be shown zoomed-out and will not respond to the mouse-wheel zoom

• A new right-click option on the Clips list "include clips from excluded cameras" will allow you to view clips from all cameras regardless of whether the window is invisible due to other display settings
4.6.5.2 - December 5, 2017

• A fix for users experiencing error 5 (access denied) when importing stored settings

• A fix for HLS camera sources with multiple audio/video streams
4.6.5 - December 1, 2017

• A new "Save image" button on the PTZ/Presets page will capture an image from the camera to be associated with the preset position. It may be retrieved from the web server with /image/camshortname/preset_x.jpg where x is the preset number. This will be used by updated UI and web access methods.

• The "GO" button on the PTZ/Presets page will now run the script or call the HTTP page if configured

• A new option on the group settings page allows you to include clips/alerts from hidden or inactive cameras

• The clips list is now more accurately filtered to include/exclude clips based on the visibility of cameras in groups and on the main UI.

• A new option on the Trim/Export window allows you to specify 2-pass encoding for MP4 files for fast-open. This is not supported on all players, so an option was necessary.

• The options "move to preset" and "move camera groups" on the Trigger tab have been disconnected. It is now possible to move other cameras in the group/s without moving the triggered camera.

• The MIME content-type for proprietary streaming video requests from the server has been changed from video/mpeg to the more accurate application/octet-stream. This may help in some circumstances where the video streaming is unable to traverse some proxy servers.

• The Apple Push notification security certificate has been renewed through the end of 2018.

• A bug was fixed which prevented some MJPG streams from being recorded in Direct to Disc mode.
4.6.4.9 - November 9, 2017

• This update specifically addresses a bug which causes camera time to "run fast" under high system load.
4.6.4.6 - October 26, 2017

• It's now possible to drag/drop files from a network share into the main window to open them in the viewer; previously this resulted in a path error (3).

• MP4 files exported will now be post-processed to move the index and metadata to the beginning of the file for faster opening on remote drives/systems.

• Fixes a startup bug that occurs if you attempt to limit the admin account (used for the console) to camera groups.
4.6.4.5 - October 25, 2017

• As "inactive" cameras are no longer hidden by default, new options have been added to hide inactive cameras. You will find these on the right-click menus in the video window as well as on the group settings page (gears icon near group selection box beneath the video window). Individual cameras on the camera lists found in the browser interface will be hidden/shown based on the settings of the "all cameras" group.
4.6.4 - October 23, 2017

• A new option on the Video tab in camera properties "Limit decoding unless required" can be used to lower CPU demand by only decoding video key frames instead of all frames. Generally an H.264, H.265 or MPEG4 stream will encode a key frame once each second, and this is usually enough for the motion detector to operate. When the software determines that ALL frames are required for webcasting or recording without direct-to-disc mode, all frames will be decoded. In addition, all frames will be decoded if the camera is selected or full screen. One CAVEAT to note: the H.264 decoder uses a pipeline--4 or more frames can be in this pipeline at any time. You will notice this effect when decoding only key frames--the output may be delayed by 4-12 or more seconds and will "catch up" once all frames are again decoded.

• A new option on the Schedule tab in camera properties "Camera is only active when viewed remotely or full screen" can be used (in conjunction with un-checking the box Continue to display and stream video) to close the camera stream completely when not required for webcasting.

• Following an ONVIF find/inspect operation, the "events subscription" was always enabled if the camera reported support for this. However this needlessly used network bandwidth if it was not required (in conjunction with camera triggering for example). The default is now OFF.

• The camera border will be yellow when the motion detection is paused, such as after a PTZ command or PTZ preset position change.
4.6.3 - October 9, 2017

• Significant architectural changes have been made to the main camera frame processing loop in order to virtually eliminate the possibility for dropped frames when using direct-to-disc recording. With direct-to-disc, dropped frames cause "ghosting" or trailing artifacts evident during playback. When the CPU is slammed (at/near 100%) or the camera frame processing loop cannot keep up, the possibility for dropped frames increases, however with this update it is possible for frames to be recorded without further processing in order to insure that they make it into the file.

• A long-standing but rare (and difficult to reproduce) bug may now be fixed. This bug had the potential to cause the time stamps on video to drift from real-time, especially when frames are dropped due to high CPU load.
4.6.2 - September 27, 2017

• Options/Email server DNS IP address for advanced use

• Fix for incompatible H.265 streams

• Foscam 89xx (and the many compatibles) audio decoding adjustments

• If not already running, the console process can launch the service process without requiring a re-start of the console

• The console process will install the service automatically if registry options "service" value disagrees with the service manager

• If the console is open with admin access and a software update occurs, the console will perform the update and the console will be restarted as well as the service process

• Audio output devices are now referenced by name instead of index when used for alerts, allowing you to add/remove devices without altering configuration

• Code signing certificate renewed for 2 years, all EXEs have been resigned
4.6.1 - September 15, 2017

• Fixed a bug which resulted in "movefile 2" errors in the log and files not being moved on some systems.

• Inactive cameras (enabled but profile 0 or ~) that also have the "Continue to display and stream video while inactive" box unchecked on the Schedule tab in camera properties were previously handled almost identically to disabled cameras. Now they are handled a bit more like cameras in the "no signal" state. They will now appear on group images with an "inactive" message. You can also use a JPEG image in place of the "inactive" message by placing an "inactive.jpg" file in the camera's folder in the Blue Iris program files folder. These cameras will still be skipped in camera cycle functions.

• Camera window borders are now drawn in red only when triggered or when recording when camera headers/names are hidden and this applies to group streams as well. Previously they were drawn red whenever triggered or recording for any reason.

• On camera properties/Audio, options for "hail" and "goodbye" WAV files which will be sent to the camera speaker when the "talk" button is used from either the main Blue Iris UI or one of the client apps. The 2 audio files correspond to the press and release of the talk button.

• Fixes for 2-way audio functionality on the Beward/Wellcam cameras, providing another excellent option for a doorbell camera

• Fixes for cameras with streams on port 34567 such as SUNBA, CantonK

• Updated decoders and other audio/video components
4.6.0.3 - September 6, 2017

• Changes to allow the client apps for iOS and Android to pull full-resolution images when using the Snapshot button

• Changes to allow the client apps to display current login status and current camera/group stream on the users list from the Status button
4.6.0 - August 29, 2017

• A new status icon (an orange database) appears in the lower/right area of the software UI whenever the database maintenance task is running. This task runs automatically each 5 minutes, but may require significant amounts of time to complete, especially if there are very large files to be transferred to external media.

• You can now manually kick-off the database maintenance task by using the right-click Database menu in the Clips window.

• A new setting on the PTZ/Presets window allows you to associate DIO input bit/s with preset positions. When the DIO input bits are detected, the PTZ preset position will be called. This allows you to move cameras in response to external triggers.

• The clip Move operation (from New to Stored for example) is now interruptible. Previously, moving several gigabyte files between drives may have been the cause for some failures to shutdown for software updates etc.

• The clip Move operation will show a progress bar on the clip that's being moved on the clips list.

• Manual clip move operations now display a cancelable progress display.
4.5.9 - July 20, 2017

• Advanced web server configuration options have been moved to a separate dialog to allow room to add more options

• New advanced web server settings allow for the banning of IP addresses either temporarily or permanently. Permanently banned IP addresses are automatically added to the "limit IP address" box.

• The web server attempts to slow responses to unauthenticated requests in order to limit the impact of a malicious client or other attack

• Further effort has been made to more fully support the Doorbird camera including a PTZ/control option to enable door-open (via the DIO output button) and light-on (via the IR light button)

• Further effort has been made to limit the number of connections required for the new 3D push notifications

• An update to the iOS app 1.57.01 will now allow retrieval of the 3D push images from servers using Stunnel

• As some users struggle to understand how/why clips are/are not moved/deleted, the clip database move/delete logging has become much more verbose. A log entry is emitted following each database scan, approximately each 5 minutes. The entries show the age of the next clip that's up for movement/deletion along with the folder size, occupancy and free space, as well as the number of locked files and database errors encountered. When writing to support for issues with clip management please provide these log entries.

• Email alert MP4 attachment durations have been repaired. They are now also recorded at the camera's full frame rate.

• Video component updates fixing potential decoding bugs
4.5.8 - June 23, 2017

• The functionality of the BlueIrisApplePush.exe is now built-into the main executable, so this file is no longer required and will be removed from the installer. This new version is much more efficient and can be extended to support new Apple and iOS features.

• Support for "rich notification" content via iOS push notifications. A corresponding update to the iOS app is forthcoming--you will be able to "long press" the notification to preview an image without launching the app. A web server session key is generated in order to allow the app to connect back to the server to retrieve the image--you may notice this on the Status/Connections page as IP address 0.0.0.0 unless/until the app retrieves the image.

• The Status Connections and Status Messages pages now memorize column widths when you adjust them

• The Status Messages page now performs a refresh without losing list position and selected item state. Previously it was difficult use the list while it was continuously updated, taking you back to the top of the list each time.
4.5.7 - May 25, 2017

• Copy option on Options/Users

• Copy option when adding a new camera

• A "maximum FPS" setting has been added to the group settings page, allowing you to go beyond the default 5 fps. Historically this was limited due to the significant computing power required to compose larger group images. However, users have expressed interest in increasing this number.

• Motion triggers are now distinguished from other triggers on the Timeline view via the use of the "walking man" icon in place of the more generic Trigger icon.

• Capture JPEG images with 0.1 second precision on the Record tab. Use with caution as this may quickly result in thousands of files and database entries.
4.5.6 - May 17, 2017

• Video component updates

• H.265 parsing and decoding fixes

• MP4 format direct-to-disc fixes for file compatibility, affecting both recording and convert/export

• The web server now responds to the HTTP Accept-Encoding header with zlib "deflate" encoding for JSON, HTML, and other text requests made by the client apps. This reduces the size of the transmitted reply significantly.

• Rolling back the default group image resolution change which has adversely affected our Android client app--crashes have been reported with the new 960p resolution, so it's once again 720p. You can still override this size as required via the group settings pages.
4.5.5 - May 8, 2017

• Improved efficiency in the generation of the clips view for camera groups and/or removal of hidden cameras

• Group images now default to a resolution of 960 for better resolution on HD monitors. You can still override this with any value on the group settings page.

• The site canhazip is no longer used for retrieving your WAN IP address. There was nothing wrong with using this site, but an update to a popular package "malwarebytes" has caused this to be flagged as "suspicious." The software instead will now use the Blue Iris website for this purpose.

• On the camera properties Video tab, you may now select either "ceiling" or "wall/vertical" (hemispherical) for the mounting of a 360-degree camera. This value is used as a default for the clip viewer's de-warping capability.

• A new value "hemispherical" has been added to the viewer's right-click 360 de-warping menu. This method is appropriate for 360-degree cameras mounted vertically as on a wall or door. The viewer maintains a separate default value depending on the camera's "360" setting.
4.5.4 - May 4, 2017

• The viewer now has built-in 360 degree camera de-warping for BVR source files. From a right-click menu select one of No (original image), Regional (allows panning left and right), or Panoramic (fits the entire 360 de-warped image into two rows in the video frame).

• On the same Viewer right-click 360 degree menu you will find an HQ scaling option. This will provide a smoother image, but it will use more CPU so may be undesirable for use with higher resolution cameras or on systems where CPU cycles are in short supply.

• A new checkbox on the Video tab in camera properties allows you to designate a camera as being 360 degrees fisheye. When selected, clips opened from this camera will use the viewer's most recent "360 degree de-warp" setting.

• When remotely viewing a clip from a 360 degree camera, Panoramic de-warping is always used. Further de-warping options eventually will be added to the client apps.

• The export/trim dialog now offers an option to include/exclude the audio track

• When using export/trim from the viewer, the current 360 de-warping setting is used. This is applicable only when re-encoding the video.

• Admin access is now required locally and remotely to set a PTZ preset position

• The default vertical resolution for group images/streams has increased from 720 to 960

• When using parent/child camera windows, children may now be quickly identified via asterisks in their headers

• Status information supplied via the JSON "status" command for the smart phone and UI2 client interfaces has been expanded
4.5.3 - March 31, 2017

• Fix for browser clips list

• Security updates for FTP client components

• Security updates for web server including cache-control headers for video files. HTTP authentication now takes precedence over URL authentication.
4.5.2 - March 21, 2017

• Stability updates for Sealevel E120 and other Ethernet DIO models

• "Console: has died" issue experienced by some users when running as a service has been addressed

• Support for Generic/HLS (HTTP live streaming) camera sources

• A time-lapse output feature has been added to the Convert/Export page. You may specify the speed factor (time multiplier) and output fps. The option is currently only available when used from the viewer with BVR source files.

• The system tray icons have been enlarged and re-rendered. Several new icons have been added to show Triggered, Paused, and Alert states. The icon will be cycled to reflect all applicable states.

• A new custom date formatting code %D may be used to add the English "st, nd, rd, th" to a day of the month value
4.5.1 - February 13, 2017

• Stability issues with Ethernet based SeaLevel devices have been addressed. A driver issue eventually causes a software crash and appropriate work-around measures have been implemented.

• Stability and quality issues with ReoLink cameras have been addressed. A firmware issue causes RTSP quality and device instability. However, newer versions of the ReoLink firmware support RTMP streaming instead, and this appears to work well. A new make/model device entry has been added for this on both the Video/Network and PTZ tabs. You must still set the camera's H.264 encoding to "base line."

• The 64-bit version of the software no longer appears to run on Vista 64 bit. This may be due to a number of OS updates and DLL incompatibilities which we are unable to resolve. The preferred solution would be upgrade to Windows 10 64-bit, but we have found that the software does continue to run on 32-versions of both Vista and XPSP3 (or you may select 32-bit when installing the software even on the 64-bit OS).

• The software is now compiled with Microsoft's latest Visual Studio 2017 RC.

• Video components updated
4.5.0 - January 22, 2017

• Added integration with Amazon Echo via physical device emulation. Begin Amazon Echo discovery via a new button on the Options/Mobile devices page. A "Blue Iris" device is added, along with a device for each camera where you have configured its Amazon setting. See the Mobile devices Help topic in order to learn about this integration.

• Memory leak bug fixed in RTMP/S device streaming (some Nest and Dropcam).

• Fix for issue with convert/export to AVI format
4.4.9 - November 29, 2016

• Support for Vista 64-bit has been restored.

• A bug has been corrected which resulted in a crash under specific web server conditions.

• A secure web server session now survives a software restart within 60 seconds. Clients streaming via browser may resume without a re-login.

• The Options/Web server page now allows you to set a virtual folder. If set to something other than /, the web server will expect requests to be pre-pended with this value. This may be useful if you are forwarding requests from another server.

• Video encoding/decoding components once again have been updated.
4.4.8 - November 12, 2016

• The client apps now use the FLAC audio compression codec. This lossless codec provides a lower bit rate yet much better audio quality than the previous μ-law configuration. Look for updates to the client apps.

• New by default, but optional, you may now also use lossless FLAC audio compression for BVR files. Previously, audio was stored uncompressed, potentially accounting for hundreds of MB/hour of storage. You will find the option on the Record tab's Format window.

• The ActiveX control has been updated to 4.0.0.9 in order to request and accommodate FLAC compressed audio.

• Several issues with H.264 decoding introduced with version 4.4.7's video component updates have been found and corrected.
4.4.7 - October 27, 2016

• H.265 cameras are supported via RTSP

• H.265 direct-to-disc recording and MP4 file exports are available only on the 64-bit version

• Other video compression and processing components have been updated
4.4.6 - October 11, 2016

• A bug fixed which led to dropped frames during recording. The bug only surfaced with cameras that send multiple video frames with identical or nearly identical time codes (less than 2ms difference). Many Foscam models appear to be affected by this.

• Effort has been put into attempting to smooth local playback of BVR content. Previously without an output buffer, playback could appear to pause and then jump forward slightly at each key frame boundary, as these frames take slightly long to decode.

• From a group settings page, you can enable a "manual mixing mode" for the remote streaming camera cycle. This allows you to control which camera is visible remotely by selecting the camera window from the PC console software.

• From the Trigger tab in camera properties, you may now select to move entire group/s of cameras to a specific preset position when one camera is triggered.

• The Database/Repair function now logs errors with inaccessible folders. It will also delete empty folders when they are encountered.
4.4.5 - September 23, 2016

• Handling of DIO modules has been moved to a separate thread. This prevents issues with these devices from causing the UI to appear possibly to hang.

• Connections to SeaLevel Ethernet devices will now be refreshed each 30 seconds to prevent them from timing out, which has been linked to system instability.

• The number of supported inputs and outputs for DIO modules has been increased to 16 each.

• The Blue Iris web server has been updated to increase responsiveness during times of heavy demand such as after a software update release.

• The iOS app version 1.54.05 is pending Apple release. This version addresses a number of issues introduced by the switchover to iOS 10.
4.4.4.1 - September 13, 2016

• A bug finally found and fixed where an automatic adjustment of the "max frame rate" may cause issues with direct to disc recording dropping frames.

• When using the clip viewer's motion detection test feature, the window border will turn red when triggered. Previously it was necessary to use object detection rectangles to visualize the trigger.

• The Status/Cameras page contains a column for megapixels (MP). There's also a total MP/second calculation displayed at the bottom of the window.

• Analog/USB cameras are now treated more like Network IP cameras when it comes to a "no signal" status. Watchdog, recording, image posting and web casting functions continue through until signal is restored.

• The software should now be able to follow a 301/302/303 RTSP "moved" event for redirection
4.4.3 - August 28, 2016

• This version represents a week of fine-tuning and bug repair based on user feedback
4.4.2 - August 19, 2016

• There is an adjustable brush size on the Trigger/Motion/Mask window

• When you drag desktop camera windows by their title bars they will "snap" edges for easier alignment. You may still combine cameras into multi-camera frame windows by dragging a camera into another camera's frame.

• You may choose to exempt specific user logins from the Status/Messages/Alerts Remote Access alert condition. This is done with a new check box on each Options/Users page.

• The digital output alert on the Alerts tab now allows you to specify a duration for the alert in seconds

• Page up and down keys can be used to move between selected objects when editing graphic/text overlays from the Video tab
4.4.1 - August 4, 2016 ... (4.4.1.3 August 14)

• The camera group setting for "Only cycle when at least one camera is triggered" now works remotely via browser and client app

• A new feature on the Record tab allows you to set a time along with the "Cut video when triggered" option. The purpose is to allow you to keep the file open for a period of time following he last trigger so that trigger events may be grouped together by time proximity rather than strictly by the time of day.

• On the camera properties Trigger/Motion/Object page, you may now add a single zone letter as an argument to the zone-crossing box, allowing for zone crossing detection in addition to standard detection zones.

• On this same Trigger/Motion/Object page, you have the option to not use the zone crossing for re-triggers (triggers that occur while the camera is already triggered). This might be useful if motion continues for extended periods of time following the initial zone crossing.

• The ActiveX control and installer has been updated to version 4.0.0.7. There have been bug fixes concerning full screen mode and stream restarting.

• HLS (HTTP Live Streaming) code has been updated to provide precise segment sizes. There's also a setting for the segment size on the stream encoder settings page from Options/Web server.

• For very high resolution cameras (6MP+) the motion detector block size is now automatically adjusted smaller, offering a finer resolution for detection. Also use the "High definition" setting on the Trigger/Motion page for an even smaller block size for tracking much smaller objects.
4.4.0 - July 21, 2016

• Foscam R2 compatibility fix

• Adjust PTZ speed from camera right-click PTZ menu

• From a user's Options/Users page, you may now choose to not use the new-alert and status counters locally and on the client apps. This will suppress the red badge numbers on the app icon and alert images as well as prevent the re-ordering of the most recent alert for each camera to the top of the alerts list.

• The WAN IP address box on Options/Web server will now recognize an IPv6 address. Provided the remote devices and your router are also IPv6-aware and you have done the proper routing, you should be able to use this IPv6 address remotely. The procedure to pull the address automatically however is still looking for your IPv4.

• If you use the /admin?camera=cam1&profile=x method, this now overrides the camera's profile in all cases unless you are overriding the global profile number and do not have the option checked on the camera's Schedule page to ignore the global override. Sending a value of profile=-1 now will remove the override.

• On the camera properties page you may now assign a keyboard shortcut to each camera so that you may quickly select/focus a specific camera.

• You may now add fps=x to a Blue Iris web server request for /h264/ and /mjpg/ video streams. Previously some users were inappropriately using the "frame rate limiting compatibility" mode for this functionality when pulling streams from other Blue Iris servers.

• As the "frame rate limiting compatibility mode" function has been increasingly deprecated, it has now been fully removed. The proper way to manage the stream FPS is on the camera/server side, not the software/client side by attempting to manipulate the receive buffer size and timing as this function once did.

• The pre-trigger video buffer on the Record tab now has units of tenths of seconds rather than frames. You may need to revisit this field to adjust as necessary for your requirements.

• A previous method of tracking alerts by file position offset in the BVR format is being deprecated; new alerts will be marked with time position offset.

• When recording using any of the continuous options, the pre-trigger video buffer setting is now used to offset the playback position of any recorded alerts.

• A few users have written to say the RTSP timecode option is not working properly, causing odd times to display on some camera streams. While it's possible to disable the RTSP timecode on the camera's Video/Network page, additional error-checking has been added to the code that makes use of the RTSP timecode in an effort to prevent erroneous times from being used.

• Camera borders are suppressed when a camera is shown full-screen and the "show camera names" function is also disabled.
4.3.9 - June 8, 2016

• You may now choose to receive group or all-cameras images instead of camera images for the Email and SMS alerts.

• Group cycle is now available on the console. To begin, you first must have multiple groups defined and configured to participate in the group cycle via a new checkbox on their group settings pages, then with the all-cameras view displayed click the auto-cycle button near the group selection box. The "solo camera" button will pause the cycle when one camera is selected. The options to cycle only when detecting motion and favor groups that are detecting motion are enforced according to settings on Options/Cameras.

• The ESC key now also cancels camera auto cycle as well as group cycle.

• Group cycle is also available via remote client and browser. Caveats now are that groups must contain more than one active camera and group audio is not yet supported during the cycle.

• Several redundant auto-cycle settings have been removed from the Options/Cameras page and added to the Group Settings page as necessary. Auto-cycle in the console Cameras window now uses the appropriate group-specific settings.

• The camera Post tab now allows you to select separate profile settings for posting to a folder vs. posting to an FTP server.

• Some users complained of dropped frames in their direct-to-disc recordings since the last release and minor changes have been made to lessen this likelihood, but it was possibly just a bad compiler link.
4.3.8 - June 4, 2016

• The Size field on the Video tab in camera properties has been disabled for network cameras. It was a very common misconception both: that because a size wasn't listed, it wasn't supported, and that you could "set" the size, when in fact it is always determined by what the camera is sending. The exception is with the "anamorphic" option, which allows you to scale/stretch the incoming image to any size that you enter. There were a number of camera definitions with {XRES}x{YRES} in their video paths--please substitute these for the desired resolution as supported by your camera.

• The "auto fps" check box on the Video tab has been removed. It was confusing and a very common misconception that you can "set" the fps for a network IP camera. Blue Iris has always used whatever the camera sends. This value exists primarily so that the software can anticipate the frame rate and create buffers accordingly. The only requirement is that it is set >= to what the camera is actually sending in order to avoid "dropped" frames. Dropped frames are especially bad news for direct-to-disc recordings. There were a number of camera definitions with {FRATE} in the video path--please substitute this for the actual desired rate.

• If the actual FPS received from the camera exceeds the "max rate" setting for 5 seconds, the max rate will be adjusted upward automatically in increments of 1 up to a maximum of 60. The "fps warning" condition now occurs only if the actual fps drops below 50% of its maximum rate.

• Finally the DirectSound output list on the Options/Audio page is accurately populated and should operate properly with a selection other than (unspecified).

• From the camera properties PTZ tab, it is now possible to define custom HTTP requests for each PTZ command. If you configure these for a new camera, please send the camera export file so that they may be included pre-configured for other users.

• In an effort to streamline the process of adding a new camera, there's a new "add new camera" window which allows you to select a name, type of camera, and common configuration options before you see the general "camera properties" window.
4.3.7 - May 19, 2016

• RTMP and RTMPS camera streams are now supported! These are supplied by Dropcam, Nest cameras, and Flash servers. In order to find the stream path on a Nest camera, open the public viewer in a web browser, right-click to view the page source and search for rtmps. When adding a new camera to Blue Iris, copy and paste this rtmps:// URL into the address box.

• The network camera settings page has been updated to allow for network protocol selection in place of the previous "https" checkbox. In addition to the RTMP and RTMPS options, RTSP also appears on this list, so it is now possible to have an RTSP source without an HTTP server address. Previously you would have had to select the "skip initial HTTP DNS and reachability tests" check box.

• The Speex audio codec was added to allow for decoding of Nest/Dropcam audio
4.3.6 - May 10, 2016

• The Options/Clips page has been updated to display a full list of the folders instead of the previous drop-down control. It was common for new users not to realize that there were multiple folders to be managed. Editing a folder name is now done in-place on the list.

• Alert images if saved to disc now fully participate in the clip management system. The oldest will be deleted if the folder size exceeds its quota and the size of the folder is now represented in the clip statistics. Previously this case was considered an exception and ignored, as by default, alerts live only in the database as thumbnail images.

• The database folder size is measured and displayed on the Status/Clip storage page in order to assist you with managing its space requirements. Currently the database grows as necessary, using the "unallocated free space" on the disc, so you need to account for this to prevent the disc from running out of free space.

• The database scan which occurs each 5 minutes has been made more efficient by replacing complete recounts of files and folder utilization with an incremental approach. This should positively impact performance on systems with very large databases.

• By default, Alert images live only in the database and do not have their own files. If however you are saving hi-res file versions of your Alert images to the Alerts folder (option on Record in camera properties), you may now apply the clip storage rules to these files, imposing a folder size limit as well as age, and may also choose to FTP archive these files. You may also export the image, or move it to another folder. Once moved out of the Alerts folder, a JPEG file is then treated like any other snapshot clip and may not be moved back to the Alerts folder, as its video file association is then broken.

• A new check box on the Options/Web server page allows you to elect NOT to have a dynamic IP address logged as an error condition. The error condition was originally added so that it would prompt a Status/Messages/Alert to be sent when the IP address changed.

• Long-press on a clip in the clips list as a shortcut to set/clear the "flagged" status for an item.
4.3.5 - May 5, 2016

• There's a new "magic" button on all Schedule windows. This button will cycle through some common schedule layouts as you click it. These are the common work week scenarios of 8am-6pm, either inactive during business hours, or two separate profiles.

• Profiles 1 and 2 now have specific default names of "Active" and "Work hours" to demonstrate common usage.

• A new Status property page "Clip storage" has been added which attempts to help users to visualize their clip storage settings and status. It's often an enigma for many as to the meaning of the numbers at the bottom of the main window and in the Status/Messages log, especially when clip storage has been over-allocated and the text appears in red with !! before it. These numbers are also commonly confused with "disc free space." Hopefully this new page will shed some light onto this very important software concept and the equations used to determine adequate free space on your drives. The goal is to maintain some green on the graph, representing unallocated free space (room on the drive over and above what you've asked Blue Iris to use).
4.3.4 - April 28, 2016

• The camera properties Motion/Trigger tab has become the Trigger tab, and motion sensor settings are now available from there in a separate window. This allows more room for additional motion sensor settings, the newest being the algorithm selection of either "simple" or Gaussian. Gaussian was initially used from version 4.2.1 until 4.3.0 when it was replaced with a simpler method. At the time, there were unexplained false positives associated with Gaussian. Although Gaussian uses more CPU time, it should be a superior algorithm now that its initial instability has been ironed out. The "simple" method remains the default for now.

• The Intel hardware decoding produced distorted video with widths not a multiple of 32 (such as 720) this has been repaired.

• Several people have said that the new video components introduced in 4.3.3.1 have caused increased CPU utilization. Although a small number of users, the components have been rolled back to those used in 4.3.3.0 until more can be determined of possible causes.

• Many customers have written in about ReoLink's RTSP issues. While we hope ReoLink will eventually release a repaired firmware for RTSP support, in the meantime, many have reported that setting the H.264 encoding to "baseline" in the camera as well as limiting bitrates have made the stream usable. We now have a ReoLink camera here and are researching support for its native format as used by its web interface.
4.3.3 - April 20, 2016

• Each camera window now individually recognizes the "disk not ready" status as a recording error rather than just a single global disk space warning. You will see the yellow trouble icon in the camera window title bar and messages written to Status/Messages.

• Finally all "upside down" image issues introduced by the 4.3.2 hardware VPP processing should be resolved.

• You may choose to optionally not use hardware decoding for BVR clip playback on a per-camera basis. If your recorded video has b-frames or is otherwise delayed, this may result in the playback delayed as well, causing issues with clip random access, or reading two BVRs simultaneously with a single web/client connection.

• A bug which caused clip durations to be written incorrectly immediately following the end of a trigger event has been fixed. This may have caused the inability to seek to the newest events in a clip until the clip was closed.

• A bug introduced in 4.3.2 causing crashing in some cases during alert playback has been fixed.

• Video components updated in 4.3.3.1, fixing a potential memory leak issue with long-term encoding/recording

• The amount of RAM used by the software is now displayed at the bottom of the main window alongside the CPU value. It will display in red if more than 1GB on a 32-bit system. The support data copied using the "email support now" button on the Options page now properly reports the RAM usage by the service, not the console.
4.3.2 - April 12, 2016

• The Intel hardware decoding on Options/Cameras now has become a drop list was an additional choice, either No, Yes, or Yes with Video Post Processing (VPP). The new setting additionally moves the post-decode color space conversion from NV12 to RGB32 into hardware as possible. In a benchmark test of 12 cameras (a mix of 2MP, 720p and several SD) processing 1.9 MB/s of video, the average 25% CPU usage becomes 20% with just the hardware decoding, but is further lowered to 16% when VPP is added, for a total reduction on CPU demand of 36%. With fewer cameras and bandwidth, the gains are even more dramatic (50% or more). With higher demands however, perhaps with more than 20 cameras and 3MB/s, the performance advantage of adding VPP becomes negligible, and may actually being to worsen performance as the CPU's ability to perform video tasks becomes the bottleneck over CPU cycles. For this reason, you may choose to use hardware decoding with or without VPP on a per camera basis, perhaps to assist with your most demanding resolution and frame rate cameras.

• The camera specific Intel hardware decoding selection has moved to the Video tab in camera properties. You may choose to use the default as set on Options/Cameras or any specific setting.

• If you are using hardware decoding with a particular camera, hardware decoding is now also used by the BVR playback engine whether in the local viewer or remote client.

• The preparation for the addition of hardware VPP required extensive revision of how video frames are formatted internally. If you notice an instance where a video frame is upside down where it should not be, my apologies--please notify the developer of this.
4.3.1 - April 6, 2016

• The Trim/Export function is now able to rotate/flip "direct to disc" recorded video when re-encoding for output. If you select NOT to re-encode, the video will be exported to match the original camera stream (as actually captured, not rotated or flipped).

• While using timeline playback, a camera's video playback window will be dimmed during times in a clip where no recording occurred for at least 5 seconds. This might be due to use of the cut/combine record feature in conjunction with triggered recording, or possibly time leading up to a loss of signal event.

• The Options/Other page has a new checkbox for a feature to skip "dead air" time during timeline playback. This is time where no recording occurred on any camera window which is currently open for playback.

• Alerts in the timeline view now graphically depict alert duration with a red bar. Other layout updates have been made here as well.

• A bug fixed which may have prevented the proper clips from opening during timeline playback under some conditions.

• Flag/un-flag events are now immediately reflected in the timeline view; previously the database index used for this was updated only once per day.

• Keyboard shortcuts may be used to set the start/stop points for the trim/export function in the clip viewer
4.3.0 - February 23, 2016

• The previous motion "mask" feature has been greatly expanded to allow for 8 "zones" instead. Your existing masks will become zone A, and hotspots are zone H.

• The object detection rules page now features a setting for zone/line crossing. You may specify simple A>B movement or more complex AB>C etc.

• The triggering object's zones are logged to the database as part of the Alert image list.

• Motion zone letters are appended to the &TYPE macro for use with email, SMS and Run alerts.

• Alerts may be triggered based on motion zones. This allows you to record trigger events without necessarily being notified in every case.

• Video flip and rotate are now allowed when using direct-to-disc recording to BVR file format. The flip/rotate status is saved to the BVR file and the viewer/player components will perform these operations prior to display.

• A number of tweaks have been made to the motion detector's shadow-elimination algorithm in order to make it more tolerant of clouds and lighting changes. More attention will be paid to this area as required to further eliminate false positive alerts.

• In general, when a clip is deleted, its alert images are also deleted. However, if you specify to "save hi-res" alerts on the Record tab, these resulting JPEG files will NOT be deleted automatically with their clips, but will remain according to the age rule for alert images on the Options/Clips page. This will allow you to keep alerts for an extended period of time beyond the video clips themselves.

• The motion detection algorithms have been once again reformulated, this time to be much simpler, and hopefully more reliable for those that were experiencing issues with shadows etc.
4.2.9 - February 2, 2016

• A large part of this release encompasses support for the next rev of the iOS client app version 1.52, hopefully released by Apple this week. These updates will come to the Android app shortly thereafter.

• The automatic deletion of clips will consider the "protected" status of each clip's alerts. If any alert is marked protected, the clip itself will not be deleted.

• A PTZ preset cycle button has been placed on the main window UI to the right of the preset buttons

• A switch has been added to the Options/Joystick page to allow for the use of joysticks such as the Thrustmaster which does not have an auto-centering z-axis controller. In this mode, move the z-axis controller to an extreme position in order to send zoom commands. Move the controller away from the extreme positions to again use the joystick x/y positioning.

• A PTZ speed setting has been added to the camera properties PTZ tab with a range 1-10. Not all cameras support a speed control.
4.2.8 - January 7, 2016

• Happy New Year!

• Hardware video decoding has been introduced for H.264 using the Intel QuickSync technology. Use the website ark.intel.com to determine support for your processor. During initial testing, CPU demand appears to be cut by 1/3 for H.264 camera streaming. The option must be enabled on Options/Cameras and may then be overridden on a per-camera basis on each camera properties Video/Network page. As we learn more about what these chips can do, more will be leveraged, and it appears there is much to learn!

• With cloned camera windows, PTZ commands are now properly sent to the parent window.

• A bug was discovered and fixed which may have been a cause for some reported crashes occurring at the beginning of H.264 encoding sessions.

• Bugs fixed with regard to the way in which "re-triggers" work together with the "Wait until trigger at least" option on the Alerts page in camera properties.

• New support and maintenance plans have been developed in an effort to handle the ever-increasing demand and to more effectively balance this with time spent on software development. A software license remains perpetual, and NOT a subscription. However, that license now includes one year of Basic support via email. In order to remain current with support, you may choose to optionally sign up for the Extended support plan via the new link on the Options page. Extended support includes continued access to email support, software updates and all major version upgrades that occur while you are covered. There's also a Priority support option which adds a dedicated inbox together with the possibility for enhanced support via phone or remote desktop as deemed necessary to assist you.

• When requesting support via email, please use the "Email support now" button on the Options page first, then paste this information into your email so that you may be assisted more quickly
4.2.7 - December 22, 2015

• Audio is now supported for group as well as group cycle streams via the IE ActiveX, iOS, and Android clients. Audio is automatically mixed and re-sampled appropriately. A new checkbox on the group settings window (gears icon near group selection tool on the PC interface) controls this feature's availability.

• A bug fixed which may have limited the streaming video FPS to half of its proper value.
4.2.6 - November 23, 2015

• The audio "back channel" is now supported for ONVIF/RTSP cameras which offer this functionality. This means that it's now possible to speak/send audio to these cameras using the Mic icon and client apps without further camera-specific custom support. You will find a new checkbox on the Network IP camera configuration window from the Video tab in camera properties. Only PCM-U law format is currently implemented for this however.

• When the Mic icon is held down, live audio is muted in order to prevent feedback and to better facilitate 2-way communication.

• For cameras which support internal motion detection and event "pull point subscription" using ONVIF calls, this may now be used to trigger Blue Iris. After using the Find/Inspect button to get the Events interface and Pull Point capability, set the "trigger using camera's digital input or motion" checkbox on the Motion/Trigger tab.

• The right-click PTZ/control > DIO menu may now be used for cameras that support ONVIF and whose digital outputs or relays and have been setup via the Find/Inspect button. The menu will enumerate each output by token name and mode, either "bistable" (toggle) or "monostable" (auto-reset).

• It's now possible to set camera digital output (as opposed to global DIO) upon trigger with a new checkbox on the camera properties DIO page. "Bistable" outputs will automatically be set and reset according to trigger status. "Monostable" outputs will be set by the software, and then reset by the camera based on a time delay you configure within the camera interface directly.

• Finally! The option on the camera properties Watchdog page has been implemented to interpret a monochrome image as a loss of signal. For cameras which inexplicably go to a green or gray signal, this option will cause the stream to be reset.

• Duplicate camera windows will now automatically share audio streams as well. Do not use the option the option to pull audio from "Another camera" as this will confuse the issue, as it's not always known which of the windows is the "parent" window.

• If you were previously relying on the "Non-LAN only" authentication option on Options/Web server for admin access, you will find this provides Anonymous access only. You can restore the previous behavior by adding to the "Limit IP" box the entry ^192.168.*.* or ^10.*.*.* depending on your LAN IP addresses.

• A fix/workaround for cameras supplying RTSP/MJPEG and not properly terminating each frame.

• A fix for the parsing of stream paths that affected some Axis cameras in version 4.2.5.
4.2.5 - November 20, 2015

• When converting or exporting video, it is now possible to go from BVR to MP4 format without re-encoding, which will be faster and preserve video quality. It will also be possible to go from BVR to AVI WITH re-encoding and audio compression.

• The "temporary time" for a manual profile override has been moved from the Options/Schedule tab to the Options/Profile tab and may now be set per-profile.

• A new feature on Options/Clips allows you to queue clips for backup/upload as they are moved between folders.

• A new feature on Options/Clips to automatically protect flagged clips or alerts. Previously and without this option selected, flagged items are still subject to automatic deletion based on age or folder size.

• When using the motion detection settings "test" option in the viewer, any masked area is darkened.

• "Enabled" checkboxes have been added to the FTP and Email server pages on the Options window.

• Bug fix perhaps, Alert images now marked as Protected are safe from automatic deletion (as clips had been already).

• When a clip is marked as protected, its associated Alerts are also protected from deletion.

• A bug fix involving recording to AVI files causing the camera window to appear to hang and the creation of large files.
4.2.4 - November 12, 2015

• This version fixes and improves several aspects of BVR file management

• It should be quicker to open a BVR file, especially larger files where delay was evident during remote access

• The location of alert frames may have been misaligned in the file with certain encoder settings causing the buffering of many frames.

• When using the cut/combine feature on the Record tab, a BVR file is automatically appended/resumed following a software or camera window restart. Previously, these actions as well as use of the traffic signal icon or inactive profiles caused a new file to be created.

• The next/previous arrow keys in the viewer as well as on the remote client apps will now stop at alert positions in continuously recorded clips. Previously, these arrow keys were functional only in non-continuous files containing multiple alerts/segments.
4.2.3 - October 26, 2015

• Based on feedback that some users are still experiencing lockups with audio encoding after 4.2.1,, this component has been replaced.

• Unless you have multiple camera frame windows open, the page up/down keys will now move between selected camera groups in the main window.

• The View command has been changed to Open on the right-click Clips menu. A new View submenu was added there to select between the Alerts, Clips, Flagged, and now FTP backup queue and Convert/Export queue lists.

• When a clip is being converted or uploaded, a progress bar now appears on its thumbnail in the clip list.

• The update package contains newly signed versions of Admin.exe and Service.exe as the previous code signing certificate was expired.
4.2.2 - October 19, 2015

• Further refinement of both motion and object detection algorithms.

• New motion default values consist of higher contrast, shadow cancellation, and the object movement filter is enabled with 100 pixels.

• When using the highlight motion object rectangle feature, green is now used unless the object is in a triggered state, in which case it will be red.

• You may now run pre-recorded video through the motion detector for test purposes. Open a BVR file in the viewer, then right-click to find this on the menu. Settings will be used from the camera on which the clip was recorded, along with the active global profile number setting. You should start playback at least several seconds before, but optimally up to 250 frames before the point of interest in the video. The highlight motion and object setting is automatically used--however the video itself should be recorded WITHOUT this enabled, and optimally "direct to disc" so that the exact same video is going through the test as it would "live." Currently forward playback at varying speed is possible, but step and slider operation will reset the motion detection.
4.2.1 - October 17, 2015

• The motion detection algorithm has been replaced by a more sophisticated Gaussian background subtraction model. This new algorithm has a longer learning period before changes are accepted as background. There is also a "shadow cancellation" option which attempts to remove shadows from consideration as objects or movement.

• As this is a new algorithm, please bear with us as we fine-tune it to best accommodate lighting and scene changes, and please provide your feedback.

• The motion detector may now be set to "high definition" mode, causing it to use 4x the number of image samples for its algorithms. You will see this as smaller overlay squares if you are using the option to highlight motion.

• The object detection algorithm has been rewritten in order to provide support for more advanced analysis. Now, multiple objects may be detected and each is tracked with a path vector. This will be used with new triggering filters such as distance travelled and "line crossing." The pixel-distance filter is implemented today; use the new Edit button to the right of the object detection checkbox to set this. Objects must still survive the "make time" in order to cause triggers.

• Together, these significant enhancements should dramatically increase the reliability and configurability of motion-based triggers.
4.2.0 - October 13, 2015

• Video decompression and scaling components updated

• H.264 parsing code has been revised to better handle streams with packet loss, which is often seen as "smearing" or other artifacts on the video. Also by not sending damaged frames to the decoder, stability should also benefit.
4.1.9 - October 7, 2015

• Camera motion detection is now supported for the Foscam C1/C2/FI9802/3/4/5/18/20/21/26/28/31/35 V2 models

• The network IP camera configuration page has changed significantly. The previous camera make/model list has been replaced with separate data-driven "make" and "model" selection boxes. Replacing the single list which contained more than 1050 entries, this new format will make it easier to find what you are looking for, and for us to maintain this database. The generic streaming options are now found under the "generic" make.

• Also on that page, the HTTP port number setting has been removed. If your camera uses a port number other than 80, it should now be appended to the IP address or host name. The HTTPS setting now toggles a protocol label in order to make the address entry process appear that much more like a browser address bar. Generic RTSP is now the default streaming format.

• If you use the "Find/Inspect" button with an empty IP address box, a new camera discovery window is opened. Cameras on your local network with ONVIF capability will be enumerated. You will select one of these to use by double-clicking it (or click and OK). From here, you will be taken to the camera discovery window to complete device inspection.

• These new camera discovery pages pages along with the data-driven camera definition changes will form the basis for a new "Add Camera Wizard" to debut soon.

• Bug fixes and enhancement have been made to what was the "inspect now" portion of camera discovery. Previously, authentication likely failed for most devices during the inspection process.

• We are exploring hardware video acceleration particularly in conjunction with nVIDIA graphics adaptors and this will require the use of DirectX9 and perhaps other newer technologies. Please insure that DirectX9 or newer is installed on your system prior to the 4.2 release by the end of the month.
4.1.8 - September 23, 2015

• With a new option on the camera properties Schedule tab, You may now instruct a camera to continue using its own schedule even if you use the profile override buttons or it's changed in another way.

• The red border placed around triggered cameras in remote group streams is now 2 pixels wide

• The Record tab in camera properties has once again undergone a revision. Now, JPEG snapshots may be assigned to their own folder and/or subfolders. In addition, the folders and filename formats are now profile-sensitive--you may change these as the profile changes. If a video file is open for recording as the video folder or filename changes, the recording file will be cut and re-opened.

• Cloned cameras will now all reset when the parent is disabled, deleted, or reset, allowing one of the dependent windows to become the new parent

• The Options/Users page now offers the ability to limit user session time and the time they must wait between sessions

• Disabling a user on Options/Users will immediately invalidate any current session for that user
4.1.7 - September 15, 2015

• The HTTP Live Streaming (HLS) component has been repaired and updated in order to properly work with the current Windows 10 Edge browser Video tag. Support has been added for group views and will soon be added for clip viewing as well in order to produce a completely HTML5 video streaming web page.

• Using the Reset button on the client apps cameras list will also reset the red "new alert" counters.

• On the Status/Cameras window and on the client apps camera list, the "Clips" value now represents the number of physical files created. The "Alerts" value on this same page remains ambiguous with "alert images" but it (for now) remains the sum of executed camera alerts such as SMS, email, push, etc.

• Executable files have been signed with a new code-signing certificate expiring in October 2017.

• EXIF date/time stamp information has been added to JPEGs saved for attachment, posting or as clips
4.1.6 - September 3, 2015

• Admin console sessions and anonymous-admin remote sessions now have their own automatically created Options/Users account "admin". For security, it will not be possible to login with this account remotely unless you assign it a password (or had a pre-existing admin account with a password). This will aid in the future development of per-user statistics and counters.

• On the PC software, cameras with new alerts will retain the alert icon in their headers until either the camera window is clicked or an alert/clip is opened for that camera. This makes it easier to see activity on a per-camera per-user basis.

• Alerts now once again are delivered to the client apps in their original descending date order. In addition however, there are new counters delivered which the client apps will use to prioritize new alerts on a per-camera, per-user basis. As cameras and clips are accessed, "new" counters on the server are reset (per user, per-camera).

• The client may now receive the newest alert per-camera for display on the cameras list. This may be touched to immediately move to alert playback.

• The upcoming iOS client app now properly accounts for the iPhone 6 and 6+ screen sizes.
4.1.5 - August 30, 2015

• On the camera properties Audio page, you may now select "Another camera" as the audio source, splitting one camera's audio to multiple cameras.

• The Options DIO page has been updated to include a function to search for Sealevel Ethernet devices such as the E120. These provide a way to add digital I/O ports anywhere on your network.

• The option to draw the motion detect rectangle now uses a 50% alpha transparency on the red color

• Setting 0 minutes for the temporary profile time on Options/Schedule is now treated as "indefinite" -- the click of a profile number button once will have the same effect as clicking it twice otherwise to hold it.

• The contrast and size sliders on the Motion/Trigger page in camera properties now each have a numeric readout for more precise setting and comparison

• A live camera audio volume slider has been placed beneath the cameras window; the volume setting has been removed from the Options/Audio page.

• By default, motion detection always has been suspended while using PTZ controls. However, now you can override this behavior by un-checking a new box on the PTZ tab in camera properties.

• You may now organize devices on Options/Mobile by push notification priority. Notifications now will be sent according to the order on this list. Select a device and use the Up and Down buttons to re-arrange the order.

• On camera properties Motion/Trigger, specify a PTZ preset number which will be sent to the camera when it's triggered.

• You may choose to have the traffic signal icon state changes logged with a new checkbox on Options/Other.
4.1.4 - August 14, 2015

• A bug fix for the software update prompt at startup

• When creating new FTP folders, if the command to create the entire tree fails, the fallback is now to create each subfolder in turn

• Each camera's digital zoom position is now memorized

• The Schedule control now displays the number of minutes relative to sunrise/sunset as you are adjusting times

• A timing fix for the "video or snapshot each X min" options on the Record tab which may have caused them to drift from their alignment with the time of day

• The "Trigger using camera's digital input or motion" option has been expanded to include the popular cameras that use port 34567 including IPC, IPCX, CantonK models.

• A new option on the camera properties Alerts page offers to fire alerts for re-triggers as well as initial triggers. A re-trigger occurs when the camera is already in the triggered state, but additional motion or other trigger events occur.

• The Sound alert previously fired continuously during a trigger. Now like other alerts, it fires just once with the initial trigger, but again with re-triggers if the new re-trigger option is enabled.
4.1.3 - August 5, 2015

• Fix for TS/M3U8 streaming

• Set camera background color on Options/Cameras

• Fix for database/repair with missing files which might have caused alert image pointers to corrupt

• The PTZ preset button customization has been expanded to allow you to call a script as well as an HTTP request. If the http/script box contains a backslash (\) then the field is handled as a script path.

• The "alert list" as presented on the client apps will now always display the most recent alert for each camera at the top of the list in order for you to quickly identify alerts for each camera rather than dealing with the possibility of alerts from one camera burying activity on the others. Until client app updates account for this, you may see newer alerts all placed at the top of the list until you re-load the list.

• Efforts were made to make the generation of the "alert list" more efficient for the client apps. This may impact third party add-ons using this list: if you were relying on the "msec" value, this has been moved to the HTTP header "Content-Duration" for a /file/ request. The redundant "jpeg" value was removed from both alert and clip lists.
4.1.2 - July 29, 2015

• You may specify a custom URL and optional HTTP POST data to associate with any PTZ preset button. This opens a very powerful interface out of the software to send control messages to other software or devices on your network or anywhere on the Internet.

• The clip auto-protect checkbox on the Record tab has become a drop-list with 3 settings: No, All, and now "If triggered." The "if triggered" setting is especially interesting if you combine it with continuous recording and short clip durations.

• The auto-cycle options have been expanded on Options/Cameras. You may now choose to auto-cycle only when full-screen, and only when triggered or sensing motion. Also (and now on by default) you may choose to auto-solo the selected camera during the cycle. Further, the cycle will more quickly switch to a triggered camera if you choose the option to favor triggered cameras.

• The two solo-camera buttons for the camera window and clips window have been decoupled. Previously using the camera window solo button also caused the clips list to be filtered.

• Now, mapped drive letters are converted to their UNC equivalents on the Options/Clips page only if you are running as a service. Generally, mapped drive letters will be unrecognized while running as a service.

• The email server configuration window now allows you to select to send all email messages with HTML format instead of text for compatibility with some external systems. HTML format is already automatically used in conjunction with inline JPEG images.

• The option to limit remote clips to only those from enabled cameras has been moved from Options/Web server to the individual user configuration on Options/Users.

• A new option on Options/Web server allows you to log each time the web server receives a connection, regardless of whether there was a successful login. Note that if your IP is being scanned this may result in a large number of log entries, but it may alert you to addresses ranges you may wish to completely block through a firewall.

• An iOS client app update has been submitted which is 64-bit and supports Touch ID
4.1.1 - July 12, 2015

• Hold Control while using the play forward or play backward buttons in the clip viewer to half the playback speed, down to 1/16 of real time.

• The ActiveX control has been updated to version 4.0.03. The major change is compatibility with Stunnel for https connections. The control now also displays UTC timecode from BVR video file content. IE "Protected mode" is detected and the user is instructed to disable this in order to allow the control to save snapshots or video.

• Many video components have been updated. One side effect of this has been that MJPEG encoding is now supported on 64-bit Windows. MJPEG decoding show now also be more efficient on 64-bit Windows than it was previously.

• A bug addressed where the software may stick at "shutting down" if one ore more cameras is in a reset state.
4.1.0 - June 29, 2015

• Remote access to the web server via client app or other means is something that most customers will attempt to configure, and as such remains a high frequency support topic. The goal of this version is to offer as much built-in assistance as possible to get you connected on your own.

• The globe icon, previously used to open the browser to your web server, is now used to initiate the new Remote Access Wizard. The wizard walks you through configuration of firewall and router with advice, auto-configuration and testing along the way. You can also get to the wizard from the Options/Web server page. If you miss the one-button access to the browser, you can still Shift-click this icon.

• The Options/Web server page now inquires about your use of HTTPS via Stunnel and uses this information to prompt you with the appropriate URLs for remote access. HTTPS status is also tested with the Remote Access Wizard.

• On the Options page, you now have the option to register your LAN and WAN addresses with your other Blue Iris registration details (name and email). This will allow you to use this as a free pseudo-dynamic DNS name hosting service. You may currently do a look-up of your addresses with the URL blueiris.pro/go?XXXXXXXXXX where the first 5 and last 5 digits of your license key are specified. This functionality may ultimately be placed directly within the client apps as well.

• You may now limit clip age to a number of hours instead of days on the Options/Clips page.
4.0.9.10 - June 21, 2015

• A long standing bug with Flash webcasting has been resolved. The issue caused frequent reconnects to the server.
4.0.9 - June 15, 2015

• Timing is everything and this point release is all about it. So much so that even some core video timing algorithms have been rewritten.

• RTSP streams contain timing information, which up until this release, has largely been ignored in favor of a rigid timing mechanism that was better suited for analog devices and AVI files. Now, the software uses this information to more accurately determine the presentation time for each frame. Of course a camera's time clock will not match 100% with your PC, so additional calibration algorithms were required and implemented as well.

• Together with RTSP timing and an ideal minimum buffer period, smoother live play should be observed.

• The audio stream timing algorithm has also been re-coded with tighter video synchronization in mind.

• The BVR audio playback engine used a large buffer with an asynchronous start. Revisions to this algorithm should bring playback delay to less than 50 milliseconds, more inline with what may have been observed through other playback formats.

• Delay is often not a good thing, but if you wish to further fine-tune audio/video synchronization, you will find a new Delay setting on the Video tab in camera properties. 50-150 milliseconds may make a big difference if you find audio trails video in web casting etc.

• It's no longer optional to use the automatic frame rate adjustment option for network IP cameras, and really should never have been optional. If the FPS setting is lower than the rate at which the camera is sending frames, the decoder does the same amount of work, and frames are dropped. This causes timing problems (there's that word again) especially with recording. If your camera cannot limit its own frame rate and you want to record at another rate, use the "alternate" frame rate setting on the Record tab.
4.0.8 - June 4, 2015

• The convert/export window now offers to memorize multiple MP4/H.264 encoding profiles.

• When using the right-click convert/export command, you may now choose the "replace" option. Selections from this window, with the exception of the export folder, are now saved in a clip's database entry when the clip is marked for convert/export.

• On Options/Clips you may now specify that clips are to be automatically marked for convert/export after they are automatically moved due to folder space or age quota.

• An important fix was made for pulling multiple group-cycle streams over a single web server connection object.

• Based upon feedback, the Trigger using camera's digital input or motion option has moved to the Motion/Trigger page and is now assignable based on profile. If you are using this feature, you will need to re-check these boxes for each profile used.

• Multiple DIO output bits may be triggered at once via the modified Camera/Alerts setting. This setting now represents a collection of bits. Outputs 1,2,3,4 have bit values 1,2,4,8 respectively. Enter a value of 6 (which is 2+4) to trigger outputs 2 and 3 simultaneously.

• The JSON server now appends file extensions to alertlist and cliplist requests in order to allow the client apps to recognize and play MP4 content with device playback windows.
4.0.7 - May 27, 2015

• Many bug fixes and camera updates

• It is finally possible to queue BVR clips for "bulk conversion and export." Do this by first selecting one or more clips and then you will find the new Convert/Export command on the right-click menu. Select an output format and folder before clicking OK. You will see the clips marked for export. As export completes, the clips are then marked with a solid green export icon.

• With this version, the latest iOS app 1.40.12 will allow you to manage push notifications on a per-camera and per-device basis. On the mobile device list, hold-down the device to toggle push notifications.

• With this version, the latest iOS app should now allow export/record of audio with the video without the massage about the video being incompatible with the Photos library.

• Hopefully Apple reviews and releases 1.40.12 soon as it also corrects an issue with opening the app after geofence updates especially if the app was completely closed. Also, the Android developer is about ready to release an update which brings the Android app to this same feature level and version 4 skin.
4.0.6 - May 14, 2015

• Many bug fixes and camera updates

• FTP upload will now create missing folders in camera Post and clip Backup

• FTP upload in camera Post tab will now expand time and other macros in the full path for each file uploaded

• ActiveX 4.0.0.2 corrects a bug with the record button for live streams
4.0.5 - May 6, 2015

• Finally, Blue Iris has built-in router port forwarding configuration via UPnP! Access this from the Options/Web server page. UPnP is available and enabled by default on most routers that can be purchased today. This feature makes the configuration of remote access much aussi in most cases! See the Networking topic for more detail.

• Bug fixes and many new camera definitions
4.0.4 - April 12, 2015

• Bug fixes and many new camera definitions

• New PTZ corner movement buttons for supported cameras to match the new client apps

• We are waiting for the release of iOS client app 1.40.04 by Apple. This will fix issues that users found with non-retina displays and older OS versions. Full screen is still possible on iPad in landscape, just double-tap the video window. You can also hide the camera or clip lists by tapping the "cameras" or "alerts" buttons at the top of the video window.
4.0.3 - March 30, 2015

• A bug has been fixed which likely was responsible for crashes during remote viewing of BVR file content from slow devices, specifically those taking longer than 1.5 seconds to randomly reposition within the file.

• Commands page been added to the right-click camera PTZ menu, keyboard shortcuts, and camera event scheduler to set/reset the digital output signal for camera which support this.

• On Options/DIO you may now choose between the original single-byte protocol used to support the Arduino or a new protocol as used by the GCE Electronics Module. When setting an output, three ASCII bytes are sent, S<output number><n=0/1>. S11 to set output 1, S10 to reset output 1.

• Web server authentication has been tweaked to be more lenient with missing session keys when dealing with exempted LAN traffic. This will prevent the Status/Connections list becoming overfull and eventually rejecting requests (sending them to the login page).

• If the camera Inspect button pulls preset position tokens from an ONVIF device, those will now be properly saved into the PTZ presets list. Additionally, the code used to call an ONVIF preset has been repaired to actually send the proper value.

• The ActiveX control has been updated to 4.0.0.1. A potential window resize crash bug was fixed. If a user is stream time-limited, the control will no longer automatically attempt to reconnect when the stream is interrupted by the server.

• The FTP component was updated.

• A new double-click camera window option to set a temporary single-camera layout in the main window or a desktop frame window
4.0.2.3 - March 20, 2015

• Tweaks have been made to AAC settings to help prevent crashes some users experience with this format.

• You have the option of switching to MP3 format instead for audio recording to MP4 files. This is done from the Record tab, format, recording profile window.

• If you select not to use Passive FTP, you may select a range of client ports for Active FTP. In this case, your FTP server will attempt to access your client through these ports.
4.0.2 - March 12, 2015

• AAC encoding is now being used for audio in MP4 files

• Flash/RTMP streaming to UStream should now be functional on 64-bit systems

• Algorithms used to detect key frames from IP cameras have been modified, which should fix Direct-to-Disc recording issues experienced with certain H.264 cameras on 64-bit systems

• A bug causing the video in WM "pull" webcasting to freeze after 7 minutes has been fixed

• Audio/video sync has been improved for WM webcasting, although better overall system A/V sync improvements are yet to come.

• If a camera unexpectedly changed resolution during streaming, it was possible for it to go into an extended No Signal state

• Digital zoom position in the Viewer window is now persistent through the opening of clips of the same resolution. However it will reset when the viewer window is closed and re-opened.

• Time elapsed and remaining are now displayed in the Viewer window when a single file is open
4.0.1 - January 25, 2015

• This contains numerous bug fixes and minor enhancements as suggested by users

• a-Law audio-in support for Anran, CantonK, and compatible port 34567 cameras

• The timeline view now has one additional increment for zoom in

• A new exe compression is used which allows me to once again sign the blueiris.exe and should play better with antivirus software

• Use of MP3 audio encoding for MP4 files which may be more stable than previous AAC
4.0.0 - December 25, 2014

• After 3 years of continuous 3.x development and hundreds of updates, the time has come once again to make several significant advancements, some of which can only be accomplished with a new installation. A big "Thank you" to everyone who continues to support this work--many ideas for improvement come directly from you. Happy Holidays, Merry Christmas, please enjoy!

• This is considered a major upgrade and a full installation is required. The installer will create a new Program Files folder, new desktop icon, etc. Once you are comfortable with the transition you may uninstall your older version, but be sure to say NO to the prompt about deleting your settings, as these are shard between versions!

• The user interface has been graphically redesigned. It is now decidedly more subdued and consistent in an effort to highlight important status icons, messages and your own video content.

• The latest version of the Microsoft compiler (2013) and runtimes (12.0) are now used to ensure the highest possible performance and reliability. In fact, this has already identified several potential vulnerabilities and these have been corrected.

• A 64-bit version is now available. This version is capable of using all available RAM in your PC whereas the 32-bit version is limited to only a couple of GB before it becomes unstable due to out of memory conditions. The 32 and 64 bit versions will share a single registry location on a 64-bit PC so that they may be used interchangeably if necessary. The automatic and check for update will download a platform specific executable. If you update manually you must remember to select the appropriate platform. The full installer will be built with both versions and offer a selection.

• The Viewer window for playback has been revised. The speed slider is gone, replaced with a more DVR-like multiple-click of the Play button. Full reverse playback capability is added for BVR file content.

• A new Timeline view at the bottom of the window as has been added. This view graphically represents your clip and alerts lists. With 12 levels of zoom it allows you to get down to the minute or to see many days at once. Clicking in this view cues the clips list.

• Double-clicking in the timeline view opens all-new functionality: timeline playback. In this mode, the cameras window becomes a playback window and BVR files are opened for each camera as available at the playback position. All open clips will playback in synchronization. You can click an individual camera window to select it for the audio playback. Double click a camera window to open the displayed clip in the standard clip playback window for direct position slider access, exporting etc.

• The position slider in the standard viewer now uses a standard time metric for BVR files. Previously, the slider position represented the file offset position, which caused the slider to appear jumpy as frame sizes varied.

• The default No Signal camera window will now also contain the last known good image from the camera, allowing you to quickly determine when the outage occurred and what might have been occurring.

• PTZ presets on the main UI window now offer two selection methods, both buttons and a list box. The first 5 presets have dedicated buttons or you may select a preset and then use the Go/Set button to the right of the list box.

• A new license key mechanism should hopefully be even less susceptible to inadvertent deactivations.

• A roadmap has been set for the next several years of version 4.x development. Based on your feedback, time will be invested into items such as motion tracking, further enhancement of motion detection along with the use of various smart filters, bulk and/or automatic export of movie content to transportable formats, revisions to the browser clients including a PC client version, investment into full-time support staff, as well as additional documentation in the form of tutorials and a full-form "manual." Of course Blue Iris will always strive to stay ahead of the crowd with support for the latest camera technologies and Smartphone client app updates.
You may also review the version 3.x update list.

You may also review the version 2.x update list.

You may also review the version 1.x update list.

monty77

n3wb
Reaction score
you could have paid 30 DOLLARS via paypal...but too late...right so the security improvements dont matter...timeline doesnt matter....new motion detection dont matter and all the improvements below don't matter. I cant fix stupid.
Not once did I say they didn't matter, I said I hadn't missed them which is clearly true running quite happily (blissful ignorance, maybe I suppose but stupid seems a little harsh) on 3.x.

I've posted this question in a few places and even the redditors were polite, guess my time here is short-lived.

Sincere thanks anyway for taking the time to respond.

fenderman

Staff member
Reaction score
Not once did I say they didn't matter, I said I hadn't missed them which is clearly true running quite happily (blissful ignorance, maybe I suppose but stupid seems a little harsh) on 3.x.

I've posted this question in a few places and even the redditors were polite, guess my time here is short-lived.

Sincere thanks anyway for taking the time to respond.
dont let the door hit you on the way out...none of that passive aggressive attitude is tolerated here.