Foscam cameras - low FPS despite camera settings

garmcqui

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
Hi all,

New BI user alert!

I have a relatively simple home surveillance setup - 2 Cams and Blue Iris (full edition) is running on a Dell OptiPlex i3-2120, 8GB Ram, 256GB SSD system drive, 2TB storage drive

Cams:
1x Wansview W2, set to record continuously at 1920x1080 @ 25fps (direct to disk)
1x Foscam FI9826P, set to record continuously at 1280 x 960 @ 20fps (direct to disk)

CPU usage doesn't seem to be a problem, hovering around 18-22%.

The problem is, video (both live and recorded) from the Foscam is very choppy. BI reports it at only 8-10FPS, which would explain it. However, I can't get the FPS to increase, no matter what I do.

The camera is hardwired straight to the router, as is the Blue Iris PC. I have also tried them in a gigabit switch, to no avail.

My settings are below.

Garage Settings.png Video Settings.png CPU.pngFPS.png

Any assistance greatly appreciated!

Thanks,

Gareth

Last edited:

bp2008

Staff member
Reaction score
Maybe if you tried a lower bit rate, perhaps 2 Mbps, and longer iframe interval (Key frame interval), perhaps 40 or twice your frame rate. If the Foscam's encoder is a bit underpowered that could be all you need to get the frame rate up to where you want it. You never know with Foscam.

bp2008

Staff member
Reaction score
Maybe extend the key frame interval on the sub stream too since it is probably sharing encoding resources with the main stream.

garmcqui

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
Thanks for your replies.

No it's the full version. I have made some headway by doing a full hard reset on the Foscam, so now getting ~20FPS.

I see lots of talk on here of people using much lower FPS settings, however am I right in thinking that with so few cameras and no issues with CPU being overworked, I am ok to keep them high? the image is so much smoother.

Thanks

garmcqui

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
Hmmm, so this afternoon I noticed that the Foscam FPS had reduced right down to 7-8 again.

On rebooting the camera, the frame rate returned to 20FPS, however after a while this gradually reduces down to between 7 and 10.

I have changed the camera bitrate to 2Mbps, amended the key frame interval to 40 (and matched the sub stream keyframe), as advised above.

BI is displaying the yellow warning triangle, presumably because the frame rate is mismatched. There is nothing logged though.

What could be going on?

Thanks.

bp2008

Staff member
Reaction score
Sounds like the foscam is just unwilling to stream what you tell it to for long.

garmcqui

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
Hmmm, annoying that the $50 Wansview is working perfectly, 25fps all day long yet the $150 Foscam refuses to work properly.

Any ideas how to fix? Thanks

fenderman

Staff member
Reaction score
Hmmm, annoying that the $50 Wansview is working perfectly, 25fps all day long yet the $150 Foscam refuses to work properly.

Any ideas how to fix? Thanks
Both the wansview and the foscam are the same garbage. ...150 for a foscam is absurd..