Foscam FI9831W not connecting after power outage and making strange noise

nikleb

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
I had to disconnect power for an hour for an electrical project.
After I switched power back on my Foscam FI9831W started making a strange noise. Kind of a low pitch strobing noise.

The camera does not work. It is on WiFi, configured for static IP.

I am sure this wsn't the first power outage. This one was "clean" as well.

Is there anything I can do? Or is this a common issue?

gwminor48

Known around here
Reaction score
That doesn't sound good. You may be able to use the camera as a doorstop. You could possibly try a hard reset.

nikleb

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
I tried the 5 second reset using the pinhole on top. No luck. I also tried longer than 5 seconds...

Looks like the camera is bricked. Strange what switching off power can do.
It was my first cam.

So, my next question is with what to replace it.

What I liked about the FI9831W:
- image was good
- night vision was good and did a good job switching
- great WiFi
- until know was very reliable

Otherwise I have some Hikvision compacts (DS-2CD2542FWD-IWS/4 4Mp). I woudl not get another one on WiFi. The lack of external antenna makes it very difficult and temperamental.

My requirements:
- I really woudl like to reuse the Foscam wall mount.
- WiFi (yes I know wired would be better)
- Doesn't need to be PT as long as I can manually adjust in a similar way. Once I positioned my cam I never touched PT again.

t84a

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
I would not recommend Foscam. Keep trying to reset it. You have to make sure the paperclip stays on the reset button. Watch the lights in the back. You'll know when you've got it to reset. Its best to configure via ethernet.

nikleb

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
I would not recommend Foscam. Keep trying to reset it. You have to make sure the paperclip stays on the reset button. Watch the lights in the back. You'll know when you've got it to reset. Its best to configure via ethernet.
Tried several times. Reset doesn't work. What brands should I look at for replacement?

t84a

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
Have you tried to connect to it via ethernet? Is it gettijg an IP address?

t84a

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
As an Amazon Associate IPCamTalk earns from qualifying purchases.

nikleb

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
It's probably dead. You can try one of these. Same price point. Not the greatest but certainly serviceable.

https://www.amazon.com/Amcrest-IP2M-841-1920TVL-Wireless-Camera/dp/B0145OQTPG/ref=sr_1_1?m=AM1AKWRN957PC&s=merchant-items&ie=UTF8&qid=1511265616&sr=1-1&keywords=wireless+ip+camera

Use coupon code BLKFRPHD and you can get it for $59.
This looks very similar to the Foscam, is it similar?
Noticed it has a 90 degree viewing angle. The FI9831W has 70 degree viewing angle (2.8 mm lens). I need the viewing with.
I already looked at at the Foscam R2 and R4 with the idea to reuse the mount (btw. the Amcrest probably woudl work as well with the current mount). The R2 has a 110 degree angle. Can this be true? And the R4 75 degree.

t84a

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
At the price point you're looking at, you're going to get what you get. I haven't messed with Foscams in years. I don't think there are any US distributors any more. The Amcrest I posted has pan and tilt and should use your existing mount.

Last edited:

TonyR

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
I've had the exact Foscam model in service for over 2 years without a hiccup and LOTS of (2 dozen ?) rural Alabama power dips, spikes and outages plus severe lightning and it's still going.

Do you have another identical power supply you can try? (5 VDC @ 2 A minimum, + on center pole, connector sized 3.5mm outside x 1.35mm inside).
If so, try that and if that fixes your issue then just order a replacement.

If you don't have an appropriate substitute power supply and you have a multi-meter or DVM try reading the output of the 5 VDC power adapter. It's rated 5 VDC @ 2 amps (2,000 mA) and ideally you'd want to measure with at least a 1 amp load across it (a 5 Ohm 2 watt resistor for just a few seconds) to see if the output is still a nominal 5VDC.

TonyR

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
It's probably dead. You can try one of these. Same price point. Not the greatest but certainly serviceable.

https://www.amazon.com/Amcrest-IP2M-841-1920TVL-Wireless-Camera/dp/B0145OQTPG/ref=sr_1_1?m=AM1AKWRN957PC&s=merchant-items&ie=UTF8&qid=1511265616&sr=1-1&keywords=wireless+ip+camera

Use coupon code BLKFRPHD and you can get it for $59.
+1 from me on this suggestion.
I have the 720p version of this, the IPM-721, and it's been really good for over 2-1/2 years (it's a rebranded Dahua). I also suggest this 1080p version at $59 on amazon.

nikleb

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
I don't need to be at this price point. The Amcrest would have a slightly larger viewing angel compared to the FI9831W. I am assuming IR and image woudl be equal or better. Only concern is the lack of the external antenna since I had issues with the Hikvision's.
Don't know about distributors for Foscam but the typical etailers seems to carry them. I am not attached to Foscam or like price point, just like the idea to reuse the mount.

nikleb

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
an and tilt and shoul
I've had the exact Foscam model in service for over 2 years without a hiccup and LOTS of (2 dozen ?) rural Alabama power dips, spikes and outages plus severe lightning and it's still going.

Do you have another identical power supply you can try? (5 VDC @ 2 A minimum, + on center pole, connector sized 3.5mm outside x 1.35mm inside).
If so, try that and if that fixes your issue then just order a replacement.

If you don't have an appropriate substitute power supply and you have a multi-meter or DVM try reading the output of the 5 VDC power adapter. It's rated 5 VDC @ 2 amps (2,000 mA) and ideally you'd want to measure with at least a 1 amp load across it (a 5 Ohm 2 watt resistor for just a few seconds) to see if the output is still a nominal 5VDC.
The power supply was bad. Now I need to go through the joy of reconfiguration of the camera and if that works I need to get a new power supply.

nikleb

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
Actually, I got lucky. Due to the bad power supply the reset did not take. Just need a power supply.

BTW. Was always wondering why nobody makes such power supplies with a mini UPS built in.

TonyR

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
The power supply was bad. Now I need to go through the joy of reconfiguration of the camera and if that works I need to get a new power supply.
Great! If you were happy with the cam before the outage, then $9 to $11 gets you up and running again.
These seem to fit the specs: white one for $11 ==>>here <<==, black one for $9 ==>> here <<==.