Foscam FI9853EP for outdoor use

byee

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
I'm considering the Foscam FI9853EP to monitor the front door and driveway of my house. Is this camera acceptable for use outdoors? I live on the Westcoast of Vancouver, BC where we get lots of rain in the spring, fall and winter. Temperatures are typically above 32F. Summers are warm with short bursts of very humid days.

The website provides the following specifications on their website - http://foscam.us/products/fi9853ep-indoor-dome-720p-megapixel-power-over-ethernet-poe-p2p-ip-camera.html
focal length 4mm
angle of view 70 degrees

wireless supports N
IR range 50M

However, the PDF document for the Foscam FI9853EP - http://www.foscam.com/down.aspx
focal length 2.8 mm
angle of view 70 degrees
wireless not available
IR range 20M

As you can clearly see, there are inconsistencies with the specifications on both the foscam.us and foscam.ca sites with the documentation.

Can anyone out there confirm the above differences?

Does anyone have the dimensions for the FI9853EP?

For the ones who have the FI9853EP, what's your opinion of the camera? daytime? night time? ease of setup?

I've tried the DLINK DCS-5010L. The 640 x 480 resolution is horrible. However, the setup and configuration of the camera for internet access was SUPER easy.......took all of 5 minutes. Is the FOSCAM FI9853EP just as easy to setup??

Thank you!

fenderman

Staff member
Reaction score
Welcome to the forum...that is a new camera from foscam...I would recommend staying away from anything they make.
If you dont need the wireless function (not even sure that camera has it...the specs on the focam us website dont seem to be accurate as you indicate..) - which is not recommended anyways look at these:
For an equivalent camera look at the hikvision 2312 http://www.hikvision.com/en/us/Products_show.asp?id=9121
There is a 3mp version 2332 however it will not have as good night and low light vision as the lower mp 1.3 version http://www.hikvision.com/en/us/Products_show.asp?id=9125
Both will need some networking work to setup but its not too bad, there are many posts here with info.
Both of the above mentioned cameras are available with a 2.8mm lens for a wide viewing angle (at the expense of some clarity as the available pixels are spread over a greater area)...
EDIT: http://www.foscam.com/prd_view.aspx?id=314
Foscam china specs say no wifi...

byee

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
Fenderman,

Wow! Thanks for the quick response and HIK suggestions. The 2312 has a IP66 rating.....which is a good thing especially for outdoor use. I will be mounting this camera on the eaves to keep it protected from the elements.

Does HIKVISION have an iPhone or third party app which I can use to connect to the HIKVISION 2312?

What is the HIKVISION equivalent for the FOSCAM FI9831P ?

Barry

fenderman

Staff member
Reaction score
they have a free ios/android app, or you can use ip cam viewer by robert chou...what will you be recording to?
Hikvision does make a pan tilt camera but its not that great..my recommendation for an indoor camera would be to use the hikvision 2432 cube camera with a 2.8mm lens (not the default 4mm) You will get a super wide angle view (98 degrees when you run the camera at 1080p)...you will not need the pan tilt...the foscam has a much narrower viewing angle...
The 2432 also has pir motion sensor that will minimize false alerts.

byee

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
this whole security camera stuff is all new to me. for now, I'm really just looking for an indoor camera to keep an eye on my fish tank - lights on, flooding, etc. Just wanted a way to connect to view while traveling. I never thought of buying a NVR but will consider depending on the price.

any suggestions on a NVR?

does the hikvision 2312 have a power pan & tilt?

the 2432 sounds interesting especially with the 2.8mm lens providing a 98 degree view. the specs indicate it has wireless b/g/n.......does it have the standard 10/100 or 1000 ethernet port? I prefer to use hardwired connections for the cameras for obvious reasons.

thanks!

Last edited by a moderator:

fenderman

Staff member
Reaction score
No power pan or tilt..you need to do it manually...most of the time PT is a gimmic and never used...proper pt cameras cost 600 dollars...just get a wider lens- you will have full time coverage of the area..the cube camera has an SD card slot...so do some other models so if you dont need lots of recording space you can record to the sd card slot...other options are using a pc, with hikvisions ivms software or something like blue iris..

byee

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
fenderman,

do you have the hikvision 2312? If yes, will you be able to share images and videos during the day and at night with the IR?

I prefer to see actual images from the camera before buying.

for warranty purposes, any problems buying the HIK Vision cameras from amazon.com or ebay? Suggestions on vendors?

thank you!

fenderman

Staff member
Reaction score
No I don't.. I believe there are sample shots on the forum... I'm my phone now so it's hard to search... You will not get hikvision warranty unless you buy from an authorized distributor ... Most only sell to installers... Other sellers like Nellys Wrightwood, let's provide their own warranties...

avi6581

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
I would suggest a ds-2cd2132f-iws (or just -is if you don't want wireless) dome for outside applications. The 2432 isn't designed for outdoor and isn't very vandal resistant if that matters. And the 2132 are cheap (£62) ! I've just bought a few. I don't use the wireless really, only on one camera, but it was only a few £ extra over the IS model.

note. In hik product codes, F means it can support an sd card inside to record to (great as a backup if something happened to my laptop that's hidden in the house). The W means wireless. The S means it will support a microphone

http://www.hikvision.com/europe/Products_show.asp?id=9893

byee

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
Thanks for the suggestion.

I've already ordered the 2432 for indoor use and the 2332 for outdoor use mount under the eaves.

I did consider the ds-2cd2132f-iws but shyed away from it because of the dome design - IR reflection.

Do you have any images you can share with me taken in daylight and at night of the same area for comparison purposes?

The 2332 does provide very clear images in different light conditions.

Thank you!

Last edited by a moderator: