Foscam Freezing during live and record

erylflynn

n3wb
Reaction score
I am running out of ideas from my searches and it might just be BI does not like Foscam. The camera runs perfect in Zoneminder. No freezing what so ever and smooth video. But in BI it will freeze, miss many frames. For example I can watch the clock in live view and have it stop counting them jump a few seconds that it missed. I am only doing motion capture at the moment, processor is i5 and CPU never gets over 15%. It is a WIFI cam, but for testing I have it wired to rule that out, though with it working fine on the Foscam client and on Zoneminder we are back to the PC or BI. It is a new Win7 install, fully updated.

I did set it to direct to disk, and left it in the BVR format. Is there anything I can do, or are Foscam and BI doomed to not play well?

fenderman

Staff member
Reaction score
I am running out of ideas from my searches and it might just be BI does not like Foscam. The camera runs perfect in Zoneminder. No freezing what so ever and smooth video. But in BI it will freeze, miss many frames. For example I can watch the clock in live view and have it stop counting them jump a few seconds that it missed. I am only doing motion capture at the moment, processor is i5 and CPU never gets over 15%. It is a WIFI cam, but for testing I have it wired to rule that out, though with it working fine on the Foscam client and on Zoneminder we are back to the PC or BI. It is a new Win7 install, fully updated.

I did set it to direct to disk, and left it in the BVR format. Is there anything I can do, or are Foscam and BI doomed to not play well?
Welcome to the forum...foscams have been known to have issues with BI..here are some things to try...first, download the latest update, as it has made changes to the way video is processed - at least over rtsp..What model camera do you have?
Does the problem resolve if you are reencoding and not using direct to disk?

erylflynn

n3wb
Reaction score
On the latest version, demoing and trying to decide if I should buy it. I set it to re-encode, and still issues. I am using rtsp for streaming. Not sure how to switch it to do snapshot, tried but the URLs that work in a web browser are not working in BI. I tried iSpy and had freezes in it as well. Seems odd that Zoneminder, it is smooth, while running in a VM, 2gb memory and 1 3.4 Ghz core while a quad core i5 with 12gb has freezes. Don't get me wrong, I like alot of what BI does. I just wish it the video didn't suck so bad.

fenderman

Staff member
Reaction score
On the latest version, demoing and trying to decide if I should buy it. I set it to re-encode, and still issues. I am using rtsp for streaming. Not sure how to switch it to do snapshot, tried but the URLs that work in a web browser are not working in BI. I tried iSpy and had freezes in it as well. Seems odd that Zoneminder, it is smooth, while running in a VM, 2gb memory and 1 3.4 Ghz core while a quad core i5 with 12gb has freezes. Don't get me wrong, I like alot of what BI does. I just wish it the video didn't suck so bad.
What camera models?
What camera have you selected from the blue iris dropdown?

erylflynn

n3wb
Reaction score
Foscam FI9803P, I have ran it wireless and wired to see if that helps and no change. I have tried the generic RTSP, the Foscam C1 RTSP, and Foscam FI9802/3/4... V2 and the same.

erylflynn

n3wb
Reaction score
Tried 10, 15 and 20mb no change. Maybe a hair better with 20mb but hard to say. I will email them and see what they say.