Foxes Stalk A Deer

lulu5kamz

Known around here
Reaction score
This deer didn't seem too concerned about the foxes, even though they get quite close a couple of times during the video. After the deer jumps over the wall across the street, the video shows earlier footage when the foxes first spot the deer while up on our deck.

Keyboard

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
I'm trying to figure out why the foxes where stalking the deer. Was it just for the fun of it?

It's not like the foxes can take down the deer for dinner. Or am I wrong on that?

BTW, Excellent video tracking!

windguy

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
Thanks for sharing. Great video - editing - fun to watch!
That mule deer jumping over the fence was impressive. 5 or 6ft?

Mike A.

Known around here
Reaction score
I'm trying to figure out why the foxes where stalking the deer. Was it just for the fun of it?

It's not like the foxes can take down the deer for dinner. Or am I wrong on that?

BTW, Excellent video tracking!
They're just smart curious animals hanging out. Not looking at it as food. The deer isn't much concerned. At the end you can see it rush the foxes a little and they scatter. A rabbit or chicken is about as big of an animal that a fox will go for.

We have a ton of fox around here. Regularly see them out with raccoon, opossum, etc. Even hang out with our cats at times. Kind of funny. One last year would get down on its front paws like a dog and bounce back and forth trying to get one of our cats to play with it. Cat would chase it off a bit and the fox would turn around and come back and do it again. Just having some fun.

lulu5kamz

Known around here
Reaction score
They're just smart curious animals hanging out. Not looking at it as food. The deer isn't much concerned. At the end you can see it rush the foxes a little and they scatter. A rabbit or chicken is about as big of an animal that a fox will go for.

We have a ton of fox around here. Regularly see them out with raccoon, opossum, etc. Even hang out with our cats at times. Kind of funny. One last year would get down on its front paws like a dog and bounce back and forth trying to get one of our cats to play with it. Cat would chase it off a bit and the fox would turn around and come back and do it again. Just having some fun.
For about the last six months I've been seeing a lot of foxes at night. I think the deer was curious about the foxes. I've seen them act like that around cats. When they see cats on the hillside, they slow walk toward them. Some cats will let them get close, but most take off when they get too close. There was a cat in this video. Did anyone spot it? Hint, it was toward the end of the video. When the foxes are sitting on that wooden platform there is a cat watching them in the distance. As soon the deer makes an appearance on the hillside the cat takes off running.

lulu5kamz

Known around here
Reaction score
Thanks for sharing. Great video - editing - fun to watch!
That mule deer jumping over the fence was impressive. 5 or 6ft?
In most places that wall is 6ft. But in the area that the deer jumped that wall has sunk slightly into the ground, so the deer prefer to jump over the wall in that spot. I guess it might be around 5ft in that spot.

Oceanslider

Known around here
Reaction score
Classic footage, especially when the foxes come out onto the deck and in what almost seems a choreographed sequence they both stick their heads through the railing and then their bodies. Classic footage. Animals are the best.

Mike A.

Known around here
Reaction score
For about the last six months I've been seeing a lot of foxes at night. I think the deer was curious about the foxes. I've seen them act like that around cats. When they see cats on the hillside, they slow walk toward them. Some cats will let them get close, but most take off when they get too close. There was a cat in this video. Did anyone spot it? Hint, it was toward the end of the video. When the foxes are sitting on that wooden platform there is a cat watching them in the distance. As soon the deer makes an appearance on the hillside the cat takes off running.
I missed the cat. Don't think fox mess with cats much. Too high risk. They'll kind of stalk and watch them like in your video but never really go after them that I've ever seen. Actually I think that the only chases I've seen have been our cats after them once in a while when they come on their territory.

We have a golf course here where fox have dens. Sometimes while you're playing they'll come out and grab the ball off the green and run off with it. Then stop and drop it like a dog. Wait for you to get close. Then pick it up and run off with it again and do the same thing! ; )

Cool animals. Thanks for the vid.

Ckb3

Pulling my weight
Reaction score
You have a deck light out ;) Great footage as usual!