FPS drops on wired and wireless cams

HerrHS

n3wb
Reaction score
Dear all,

I am using the latest blue Iris 4 Version with four foscam cams, three FI9828P which are connected wirelessly and one older FI9805W cam which is connected with a cable.
All of them are set to 720p. However, I get a lot of fps drops on all cams but especially on the wired one. The fps goes down to 0 or 1 and half a Minute later back to 10 and it works fine again.

I am using this 450mbps router with ddwrt: http://www.tp-link.com/en/products/details/cat-9_TL-WR1043ND.html

What are the best Settings or are there other things I can do to improve my Situation?

Thank you!

Del Boy

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
It's probably not the wireless connection if the wired one is dropping so many frames. Can you check with the router how many lost packets there are? That will narrow it down to connection or not.

David Messenger

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
If you are not using shielded cable, you might be experiencing some interference from electrical wires that are in close proximity to your ethernet cable. Since your camera is not POE, you might have had to run power to the location of the camera. Hopefully, you don't have the power and ethernet cable running along side by side.

You might also have a defective shielded cable or badly terminated connection on it. If you can run a different cable to test with, that might be a viable option to see if there is a cable problem.

HerrHS

n3wb
Reaction score
Well, actually, both cables are really running along side by side. Might be that there are intereferences. However, I have no Problems when using foscam's browser-based Streaming app. No drops whatsoever.

How can I check how many packets are being lost? Only Thing I found is a bandwith overview (see attached Image)

Attachments

David Messenger

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
You might find some information in the log files in either the router or the Blue Iris application. In Blue Iris, click the stats button and there is a ("Log to file") check box you can check in order for the log to be saved. Also, if it is working ok with your browser, it makes me believe that there is probably not a hardware or network problem other than some kind of configuration or driver issue in Blue Iris.

Maybe you should check to make sure you have the right camera selected in your video tab configuration. There might be another Foscam model driver that works better in Blue Iris than the one you selected, or maybe you accidentally picked the wrong one. Since it is a different model than the other ones that is causing the problem, maybe you copied the configuration and then didn't change the camera model.

good luck!

fenderman

Staff member
Reaction score
try increasing the receive buffer to 20mb (video tab, configure)

HerrHS

n3wb
Reaction score
Well, in the Blue Iris log files I find nothing Special concerning lost packets. I let Blue Iris detect the cam. There not many different foscam Options in Blue Iris as it takes many Foscams combined.

Increasing the buffer to 20mb helped in the sense that the yellow fps alerts are gone, but I still have lags. When I watch the live Video I have a time overlay. It sometimes stops at a certain time, lets say 09:12:44 and the next time I see is 09:12:48, which means there are 4 seconds of Video missing.

btw I have the same lags with my other three wireless cams even after having set the receive buffer to 20mb as well.

Last edited by a moderator:

fenderman

Staff member
Reaction score
Well, in the Blue Iris log files I find nothing Special concerning lost packets. I let Blue Iris detect the cam. There not many different foscam Options in Blue Iris as it takes many Foscams combined.

Increasing the buffer to 20mb helped in the sense that the yellow fps alerts are gone, but I still have lags. When I watch the live Video I have a time overlay. It sometimes stops at a certain time, lets say 09:12:44 and the next time I see is 09:12:48, which means there are 4 seconds of Video missing.

btw I have the same lags with my other three wireless cams even after having set the receive buffer to 20mb as well.
ok, go to the video configuration page and disable use rtsp/stream timecode...and see if it helps

HerrHS

n3wb
Reaction score
No, did not really help. :-( What else could be the reason for that?

Interestingly enough, I do not have those lags respectively skips when I watch the live Video in Foscam's browser based solution in Safari or Firefox on the same pc on which I have Blue Iris installed. So does this fact rule out a Connection Problem?

Edt:I have just realised that when I stop the constant recording the lags disappear. What can I do about that?

digger11

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
What are you using under each camera's Record > File format and compression ?
If you aren't currently using it, you might try
File format = Blue Iris DVR
Encoder = Direct-to-disc

There is a pretty extensive description of these and the other options in the Blue Iris help file under Camera Properties - Record

HerrHS

n3wb
Reaction score
I have been using blue Iris dvr and direct to disc - but still, the lag Problem persists

Would it help to use an SSD?
I am currently using an i7 sandy Bridge cpu, 16 gigs of ram and a 4TB SSHD. And I am on Windows 8 Pro x64

digger11

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
Have you excluded Blue Iris network traffic from being scanned in your antivirus? (See the Networking section in the help file.)

Another potential source of laggy video would be if the frame rate you have selected in BI is lower than the frame rate the camera is sending. You want the frame rate specified in BI to be equal to or greater than the frame rate the camera is providing.

HerrHS

n3wb
Reaction score
I have no antivirus installed on this machine. It is my old pc refreshed for Blue Iris.

I have the exact same framerate in Blue Iris that I have set in the camera Settings.

As I said all lags are gone as Long as I do not record anything. Even the short 30 sec record cycle makes lags and Audio stutters reappear agan.

fenderman

Staff member
Reaction score
I have no antivirus installed on this machine. It is my old pc refreshed for Blue Iris.

I have the exact same framerate in Blue Iris that I have set in the camera Settings.

As I said all lags are gone as Long as I do not record anything. Even the short 30 sec record cycle makes lags and Audio stutters reappear agan.
There may be something wrong with you drive...you certainly dont need an ssd, just try another drive..try recording to NAS, or USB drive and see if it helps.

HerrHS

n3wb
Reaction score
Sorry for the silly question but where can I specify the rec directory? in the record tab I only can choose between New and Stored

Forget it, already found it. Will test now...

HerrHS

n3wb
Reaction score
Wow, after the first 30 minutes I would say this seems to have solved the Problem. I am now recording on a synology nas.
What do you think? Is my Seagate 4TB SSHD faulty? I bought it last week. Apart from the lags I did not realize any Problems. What is your opinion on that?

fenderman

Staff member
Reaction score
Wow, after the first 30 minutes I would say this seems to have solved the Problem. I am now recording on a synology nas.
What do you think? Is my Seagate 4TB SSHD faulty? I bought it last week. Apart from the lags I did not realize any Problems. What is your opinion on that?
Its either faulty or there is an issue of how files are written to the hybrid drive....i never used one on a BI pc so dont know...Glad you isolated the issue..get a WD purple and call it a day..

HerrHS

n3wb
Reaction score
Ok, will do. Or do you think it might be a Problem that it is the same drive on which Windows is installed?

Thank you very much for your help!

fenderman

Staff member
Reaction score
Ok, will do. Or do you think it might be a Problem that it is the same drive on which Windows is installed?

Thank you very much for your help!
No. I have over 20 blue iris machines... All but two have only one drive... That is not the issue..

Sent via Taptalk