FPS for Remote Viewing

Karey Watson

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
I am curious what most of you guys have set for your sub stream and viewing from your mobile device.

How many FPS and what Resolution? What do you find to be acceptable when on the go?

I had it @ 15FPS, 2048, Higest (Video Quality), and 704x480. It's fine but I am wondering if I should allocate that bandwidth towards the main stream since the NVR as a whole only allows 50m incoming.

I would also be curious to know what folks find acceptable on there main stream FPS. My 3MP cameras @ 2048x1536 tap out @ 20FPS.

Last edited:

nayr

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
10/12/15/20 FPS for Main Stream, you want a number divisible by 60 to avoid 2:3 teardown... If its only humans then 10/12 typically, if its also humans/cars or you need more then 15/20

Substream depends more on your internet upload speeds; you need to ensure that the bitrate does not exceed that.. also depends on your average mobile speeds and if your only using substreams for mobile use.. 5-6fps is all you really need for remote monitoring when mobile speeds are likely to be highly variable.

Karey Watson

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
Cool. Thanks for the input.

I have a fiber gigabit connection so I am not overly concerned w/ the upload limitations.