FPS keep changing from 1 fps to 26 fps throughout the day

DWilks

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
Using Blue Iris with a Sricam AP005 wireless outdoor camera.
The fps just cycle from 1-26fps with nothing else running on the
computer. Computer specs: Win 7 Pro, Intel i7-4770K 3.5GHz CPU with 16GB of ram and only using less than 10% of cpu!
Doesn't matter what frame rate I use for the camera, it still cycles.
I'm suspecting a wireless problem but would like suggestions. My
wireless is 144.5Mbps receive and transmit on the computer and I'm using a Netgear router.
I have a ethernet cable coming in the mail that's long enough to connect from the camera to the router but it won't be here til next
week and will connect that up and see if that solves the problem.
But will try any suggestions at solving the problem!

fenderman

Staff member
Reaction score
You issues is almost certainly the wifi...you can try using the wifi analyzer app to find the best channel...wireless on the low end cameras does not work well in the long run.. you cable will solve the issue.

DWilks

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
Thanks fenderman, do you mean an android wifi app? If you do, I'm getting about -60db
signal strength from the computer to the router on the app that I have which is called
"wifi Analyzer".

DWilks

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
And it's only about 20 feet from the camera to the router and of course the router is in the
house and the camera is outside. Also, I've notice that almost anytime I open up any tab
in the blue iris program, the fps go to the max and then drop back down to 1-2 fps which is
very strange and continues to cycle back and forth!

fenderman

Staff member
Reaction score
can you check the frame rate when you log into the cameras own web interface?

DWilks

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
No, it doesn't have the frame rate listed. I have been monitoring the 'status' screen on blue iris. It's still strange that opening some tabs on blue iris has
any affect on the fps, but the ethernet cable should show if it's just a wireless
problem....thanks fenderman!....will post after I connect up with ethernet.

DWilks

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
Got the ethernet cable and my guess was correct and you were spot on, fenderman! Now I get 25fps +- .5fps...down side is I now have a cable dangling
out of the attic along the floor to get back to the modem....but price to pay is worth it!

fenderman

Staff member
Reaction score
Cool, get someone to professionally run it, it will be nice and invisible...

nayr

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
WiFi is ok for non persistent connections where throughput and latency changes are hardly noticeable.. thats stuff like Surfing the web. Internet video works fine because its uses much less bandwidth, is designed to adapt to network changes quickly and has large buffers to hide those kind of problems. Most people's average WiFi usage hides alot of the flaws in wireless.

Stuff like Online Gaming, IP Cameras, even Voice can work OK on wifi sometimes; but you will notice the few times when a microwave kicks on and kills your connection or some other noise comes in and jams up the whole band. 2.4 and 5GHz are ISM bands which basically means open industrial use across the globe, there are millions of gadgets out there sending signals on those bands that your WiFi analyzer is entirely blind too.. and any of these things at any point in time are entirely capable of degrading your wifi signal and there is nothing you can do about it. Microwave Ovens; Bluetooth; Game Controllers; Cordless Phones; Radio Controlled Toys; Sensors of all types; Radar; just about everything you can buy that is Wireless runs on one of those 2 bands.

This is just the nature of Wireless and as such I would never recommend anyone use IPCams over WiFi, especially consumer grade WiFi.. Commercial Point to Point systems are about the only acceptable transport and even then you have to accept its never going to be as solid as a wired connection.

Last edited by a moderator: