Fragmented disk housing "New" folder

cltbwc

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
I've been running BI for roughly 5 months and I'm very happy with the feature functionality!! But I've noticed the drive which houses the "New" folder (12TB WD Duo) is highly fragmented which presents a number of challenges.

Has anyone else come across a similar situation? If so, has anyone developed some best practices/routines around drive/file maintenance or defraging the drive without impacting BI performance?

Any help or direction would be greatly appreciated!!

fenderman

Staff member
Reaction score
I've been running BI for roughly 5 months and I'm very happy with the feature functionality!! But I've noticed the drive which houses the "New" folder (12TB WD Duo) is highly fragmented which presents a number of challenges.

Has anyone else come across a similar situation? If so, has anyone developed some best practices/routines around drive/file maintenance or defraging the drive without impacting BI performance?

Any help or direction would be greatly appreciated!!
What is the challenge? is there an issue you are having?

cltbwc

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
As the use of the 12TB of space increases, I begin having issues with the repair database function resulting in a 00...20 error (runs daily at 10:00 AM ET). Originally I was told by support this is a result of insufficient permissions or some conflict with my Anti-virus. But it runs fine until more and more space is consumed. Also, I see increased time it takes for files to be copied to the "stored" folder which resides on a second 12TB WD Duo (resulting in increased CPU utilization for an elongated period of time). As more and more space is used on the "New" folder array it seems like my overall performance slows.

At some point the repair function will no longer complete. It freezes at a certain percentage and the BI program fails. So far the only remediation which will solve the issue is formatting the "New" folder 12TB WD Duo and run repair and compact (of course I lose all of my clips on this device).

Let me know if you need other details.

fenderman

Staff member
Reaction score
First thing i would do is delete the db folder and let the database regenerate and see if the problem goes away. You will not lose any clips, though you may lose alerts, the clips will all be there.

cltbwc

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
I'll give it a try next time it occurs. Thanks!!

Git

Banned
Reaction score
What AntiVirus are you using?

Perhaps exclude the BlueIris folders and/or blueiris.exe

cltbwc

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
Thanks for the reply. Norton is the AV program. Yes I have excluded the entire directory of BI from Norton.