Frame advice - should I zoom in more?

alwaysoff

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
This is my current LPR camera. Should I zoom in more? Other than this particular car, all the other ones can be read very clearly. This one is difficult because it has some sort of acrylic frame over the plate.

1634370811322.png

wittaj

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
Yes, I would zoom in more.

General rule of thumb it to try to make the field of view so tight that all you really get is the whole vehicle in the view and not much else.

A tighter zoom can then sometimes get those harder to read plates. Here some of the custom plates are a flat plate or temp tags and with it zoomed in tight, I can get most of them.

That tree may need to be "hit" at some point LOL to give you a bigger opening. And that bush will need trimming.

I would try to zoom to about like this field of view:

1634401793136.png

wittaj

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
For LPR all we care about are the plates, so unless their plates would be higher than that, then all is good. The goal of the plate camera is to capture as many plates as possible.

I rarely get the whole vehicle when a truck goes by, that is what an overview camera is for.

Doesn't do me any good if I can see the whole vehicle but then cannot get the plate!