Frame rate adjust automatically can't be turned off ?

vincenttor

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
I am not sure it almost looks like i have a faulty copy of BI 4.
I am used with Bi3 that i could set the frame rate myself and then turn of the adjust automatically.
A little bit earlier the PTZ setting disappeared as well that i used to use with BI3 for my ptz cam, this has been luckily solved by another setting.

But what happens now is when i look at the recordings the image is blurred etc, frame rate problem,since the cams are on 14 Fps and BI sets it automatically on 17.5 Fps.
But i entered 14Fps a couple of times.
Could not really find a solution yet, anyone that has the same problem going on ?

As you can see at the image, the adjust auto is gray and can't be unset.

rate.png

fenderman

Staff member
Reaction score
I am not sure it almost looks like i have a faulty copy of BI 4.
I am used with Bi3 that i could set the frame rate myself and then turn of the adjust automatically.
A little bit earlier the PTZ setting disappeared as well that i used to use with BI3 for my ptz cam, this has been luckily solved by another setting.

But what happens now is when i look at the recordings the image is blurred etc, frame rate problem,since the cams are on 14 Fps and BI sets it automatically on 17.5 Fps.
But i entered 14Fps a couple of times.
Could not really find a solution yet, anyone that has the same problem going on ?

As you can see at the image, the adjust auto is gray and can't be unset.

View attachment 8836
This has been this way since 2013. You need to set the cameras iframe interval to match the FPS.
See this release note.
3.24.00 - May 13, 2013

• A very common misconfiguration issue is addressed with this release, where people often wonder why the "yellow caution icon" is shown on their camera windows. The icon is displayed when there is a mismatch between the camera's frame rate and the frame rate setting in the software. By default, the software will now automatically increase the frame rate (FPS) setting on the Video tab in camera properties in order to properly handle all frames delivered by your cameras. When this occurs a status message is posted to the Status/Messages page. You may disable this new behavior if you wish. If you need to throttle the number of FPS from a camera, the best way to do that is by using the camera's own web interface to adjust the number of frames that it generates. Not all cameras may be so controlled, however, and in this case you may use the "framerate limiting compatibility mode" option.

vincenttor

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
Thanks Fenderman,
i havent found it when searching in the help file from BI.

If i understand correct it says that i have t ajdust the FPS in the camera itself.
This is what i already have done of course. it is set on 14Fps ( Dahua 4Mp dome cams, not sure what type exactly)

I did turned on Frame rate compatibility now, will see how it goes.

fenderman

Staff member
Reaction score
Thanks Fenderman,
i havent found it when searching in the help file from BI.

If i understand correct it says that i have t ajdust the FPS in the camera itself.
This is what i already have done of course. it is set on 14Fps ( Dahua 4Mp dome cams, not sure what type exactly)

I did turned on Frame rate compatibility now, will see how it goes.
You need to match the cameras iframe interval to the FPS. Leave the compatibility settings defualt

vincenttor

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
yes got the iframe to 14 as well now.
turned that comp mode off.
thx

vincenttor

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
Well to come back to this, still having the same problems.
Not sure how this is possible because with the same camera's and the older BI i did not had any problem and i could turn of the adjust auto setting.
It is good for some hours and then it is back to 17.5 Fps instead of 14.
Here is the setting i hve right now on my camera.
ipcamera.jpg

Got to much crappy recordings now.
I can turn on the compaitbility mode but then again, it worked before so this is strange right ?

fenderman

Staff member
Reaction score
@vincenttor Try using h.264 instead of h.264h, I have seen that cause issues. Also, set your receive buffer to 20mb in bi.

typo

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
I emailed BI about this happening, it seems the value for the auto FPS is a high water mark value of what it detected, not exactly what it's currently receiving. Try setting your camera to 10FPS, then "set" that in BI as well. Then increase the FPS in the camera to 15FPS. BI should "auto" up to display 15 when you check the setting. Then change the camera to 10FPS again, it'll still show 15 in BI.

vincenttor

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
Thanks Fenderman, will try this solution.
IT is indeed strange Type as you described, in the version 3 of BI i haven't had any trouble with this.

vincenttor

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
Wel none of the solutions helped.

Here is some other testing/discovery i have done.
I am about to revert back to version 3 since this version 4 is only but trouble with the recordings.

I made some screenshots and a video of the result i am talking about.
This is all about a frame mismatch as far i can find out, already opened up a topic but that was about my home server with some dahua 4Mp cameras (that worked perfectly on BI3 btw)
View attachment 9021View attachment 9022View attachment 9023View attachment 9024

I have tried to make the receiving buffer larger, used frame compatibility mode, set the frame rate correct in the camera and in BI.
But still after a while it automatically sets the frame rate in BI higher as the camera is providing.
Resulting in bad recordings.

Also i do not really see the sharpness in the video, looks like it is cropped by blueiris.
These are the screenshots i made and look ok, but when you compare it to the video you see that the license plate is not readable for example and lines a bit further away are crumbly.
View attachment 9028
Made with the direct link to the camera http://IPADDRESS/snap.jpg?JpegCam=[0]
View attachment 9029
Made by BI snapshot - not much difference and since its night i will place a day time pic as well hopefully tomorrow.

Here another longse cam.
View attachment 9030
Made with direct cam link
View attachment 9031
Made by BI

Here you see a difference between the BI and direct link, BI is better with the colors and the direct link shot the color is not correct.
But futher they are the same, so why are the video's not as sharp as the snapshots or am i going crazy.
View attachment 9032
Direct camera link snapshot
View attachment 9033
BI snapshot.

pozzello

Known around here
Reaction score
the smearing of the moving vehicle in the video you posted is almost certainly caused by noise reduction settings, not frame rate.
try turning DNR down, or off for testing.

for your 9028/9029 attachments, i notice more detail in the first one (direct from cam).
especially in the brick on the house across the way on the left side. My guess this is due
to the re-encoding being done by BI. You are clearly not using direct-to-disk as the cams image
doesn't have the timestamp, but the BI image does, and for BI to add the overlay, it must re-encode.

Try running direct to disk? (have the camera add the timestamp if you need it)
or try tweaking the encoding settings BI uses ?...

9030 and 31 look the same to me.

9032 vs 33 is interesting. very different color bias there. Maybe due to your direct cam snapshot is getting a single JPEG,
while the BI is generating it by extracting from the RTSP video stream? ie, comparing apples to oranges...

vincenttor

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
Thanks for the suggestions, will give it a shot with the DNR.

You are wrong about the direct to disk setting because i have 27 Mp connected to this server and it will definitely die when i use the standard setting with re encoding and movement and recording kicks in.
All the cams are from the start on direct to disk so this can't be the problem.
I have set all the color settings in the cam on standard so this is strange, but not really the thing that bothers me.

That still does not explain why BI is changing the FPS setting all the time, even when i enable frame compatibility mode it is acting strange.
Settings in BI are set on 10Fps for a camera i use, then after a few hours it sets itself on 15Fps and it loves 12.5 Fps as well.
When i used BI 3 this was no problem at all, it kinda sucks because i bought a license since they also said it would be better then bi3 but except for the hardware acceleration i have more problems then ever before with recordings.

For now i have set the 2D and 3D dnr to 0, hope this solves something.

fenderman

Staff member
Reaction score
@vincenttor You can limit BI frame rates in the record tab under alt/framerates....
BI4 has many more features than Hardware acceleration...timeline, multi camera synchronized playback, new advanced motion and alert options to name a few. I have many dahua cameras with BI that do not exhibit this behavior. Have you emailed support?

pozzello

Known around here
Reaction score
"All the cams are from the start on direct to disk".

I was basing my suggestion on the fact that your BI images have a second timestamp added to them compared to the jpgs taken straight from the cam.
AFAIK, the only way BI can add that timestamp is if DTD is NOT being used. But perhaps they are added when you extract them? beats me...

Last edited by a moderator:

vincenttor

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
Fenderman, i know there are other options but i do not really use them actually so for me there is not much added except the hardware acceleration.
Not using motion on most camera's, just one that is on right now, the rest is connected to external PIR sensors to keep the cpu at a lower rate and at pitch black night they work better of course.
So even that the price is more then ok for this software, it is quite expensive when it does not do the most important thing i have bought it for in the end :)
I actually hoped that someone here had the same experience and it would be a simple on or off function.
But i am thankful for the fast responses here as always

@ pozello, i made the screenshot in blueiris by right mouse click on *snapshot*
Then go to the camera , double click on the snapshot picture.
Then right click *copy to clipboard*

It will probably do the same at your setup i guess.

anyway, i will try changing some more settings and if it keeps on going , i will send a email with links and solutions i have tried to the BI support.

EDIT: i reverted back to BI 3 because i need to have good recordings since it is a building complex with people that like to have there bikes and cards "protected" by cameras.
And , well, all cams work, no problems anymore with the recordings.
Will send this info to the BI team, hope there is some explanation for this behavior.

Last edited by a moderator: