Frame rate issues and drop outs, mainly night time problems.

Reaction score
Hi, I have an issue with night time frame rates. I have three cameras ( 2 x mjpeg 640 x 480 & 1 h.264 1280 x 720). Day time streams are better, occasional frame rate drops but usually steady. However if I run more than one camera at night the frame rates drop from 20/25fps to 2/3 fps with the 720 cam dropping out. I can run the 720 on it's own with no problems, as soon as I add any of the lower res cameras that the problems start. I can run both of the older low res cameras together with few problems. It seems to be when I have mix of low and higher res running together. I understand that night vision with motion detection running causes a bigger load, but the processor is usually running only 20/33%, the overall traffic(if that's the right term) is about 280kb on the 720 H.264 ONVIF camera and about 600/700 on each of the 640x408's MJPEG cameras, nothing else on that network.

I'm using an old bt homehub3 (no internet connection) for the cameras. The 720 is an outdoor camera about 14 mtrs from hub running on wifi. The internal camera also on wifi. I have tried using powerline adapters with limited success as this is an old building and the wiring is old too, the adapter lose connection and have to be reset daily.

I can wire one or both of the internal cameras, but before I tackle the wiring job and bug my husband to drill holes in the walls to route them through, can anyone tell me am I missing something obvious?

Thanks in advance for any advice.

fenderman

Staff member
Reaction score
Hi, I have an issue with night time frame rates. I have three cameras ( 2 x mjpeg 640 x 480 & 1 h.264 1280 x 720). Day time streams are better, occasional frame rate drops but usually steady. However if I run more than one camera at night the frame rates drop from 20/25fps to 2/3 fps with the 720 cam dropping out. I can run the 720 on it's own with no problems, as soon as I add any of the lower res cameras that the problems start. I can run both of the older low res cameras together with few problems. It seems to be when I have mix of low and higher res running together. I understand that night vision with motion detection running causes a bigger load, but the processor is usually running only 20/33%, the overall traffic(if that's the right term) is about 280kb on the 720 H.264 ONVIF camera and about 600/700 on each of the 640x408's MJPEG cameras, nothing else on that network.

I'm using an old bt homehub3 (no internet connection) for the cameras. The 720 is an outdoor camera about 14 mtrs from hub running on wifi. The internal camera also on wifi. I have tried using powerline adapters with limited success as this is an old building and the wiring is old too, the adapter lose connection and have to be reset daily.

I can wire one or both of the internal cameras, but before I tackle the wiring job and bug my husband to drill holes in the walls to route them through, can anyone tell me am I missing something obvious?

Thanks in advance for any advice.
Your problem is wifi...eliminate it..then work on better cams..

Reaction score
Your problem is wifi...eliminate it..then work on better cams..
Thanks Fenderman, I thought that might be the issue, I was just hoping it might be something easier to sort. I'm ok with a hammer,screwdriver and cables, but not so good with the drill and hate having to ask anyone to do jobs for me. I've disabled one of the low res cameras and hard wired the other as it's fairly close to the router. I'll run them tonight and see if the problem persists. I think what threw me was that the data from the 720 is about 1/2 that of the 640s, yet the two 640s ran happily together. I wondered if mixing the two different formats 1x MJPEG & 1 x H.264 running together put extra load on the system. Anyway I'll see what happens tonight before I add the 3rd camera back in. I have ordered a couple more cameras to try out.

Reaction score
Hard wiring one camera, disabling the second completely and keeping the other on wifi didn't help. Still getting the issues. Further searching the forum got me to check the settings on the low res cameras and they were not set to direct to disc recording so I've changed that to see if it makes any difference.

fenderman

Staff member
Reaction score
Hard wiring one camera, disabling the second completely and keeping the other on wifi didn't help. Still getting the issues. Further searching the forum got me to check the settings on the low res cameras and they were not set to direct to disc recording so I've changed that to see if it makes any difference.
increase the receive buffer to 20mb in the video configuration settings.

Reaction score
increase the receive buffer to 20mb in the video configuration settings.
Thank for the help. I've increased the buffer and I've also swapped out the router. Set up 2 cameras, leaving the 3rd disabled for the moment. So far no drop outs.

Reaction score
SOLVED: The cameras ran last night without a single dropout. Each motion trigger recorded smoothly, no dropped frames. Thank you Fenderman for the help. I think the 20mb buffer was the key.