Fresh Meat

Kodiak

n3wb
Reaction score
Hi Folks....

I'm a telecom engineer by trade, and normally work on long-haul transmission systems. I retired from the military a while ago, I worked in a telecom specialty called "tech control. After the military, I worked as a field telecom engineer as a DoD contractor, and now do the same as a DoD civilian. I
have worked on Camera systems in DoD, specifically Intrusion Detection Systems, but those are whole other animals from the cams discussed here.

Have been a long-time (10 years) user of Amcrest Cams. All types (Bullet, dome, PTZ, internal, external, wireless, PoE, etc) along with a small Amcrest 8 port NVR which served me well for many years.

Recently purchased a large home in a rural area, with a long driveway and gate system, so decided to step up the game. I planto stay with Amcrest Cams for my new system, yes, there are better and worse cams, but I am familiar with them and didn't want to enter another learning curve.
I did decide to retire the NVR and step up to dedicated PC system operating Blue Iris as a service---

I am struggling with Blue Iris, so you may see me in the near future in the forums asking some typical noob questions.......

Here is my set-up H/W:

(Dedicated ) Dell Optiplex 5040 SFF Desktop PC 6th Gen. Intel Core i7-6700 3.4GHz 16GB RAM 480GB SSD (I used your Wiki extensively in choosing the H/W) - Have a 8TB NAS for archiving video as needed
S/W: Windows 10, Blue Iris. I also downloaded Blue Iris Tools, but need to learn the BI baby steps before running
Cams: Eight- All Amcrest: 4 x IP8M-2969EW-AI, 2 x IP5M-B116E, 2 x IP2M-844 (all cameras are brand spanking new except for the IP2M'w which were retreads from my old system

Here is how I am setup:

• 3 AI capable Cams are set up at my gate (250ft from the house) - I have the cams linked back to the house via a Ubiquiti wiMAX RF link.
  • Remaining 5 cams form a security perimeter outside the home.
  • All Cams are tied home run via Cat 6 to an Amcrest PoE switch which is tied to my home router (Fiber to the residence)
  • A single VLAN is in use, but have ordered a dual NIC PCI-e card and will be following the security guidelines in the WiKi to establish a red and green subnet
  • The PC and Cams have been optimized according to the CPU Wiki - average CPU Util is 10%
  • I do plan to have remote capability once I get everything running. Plan on using a VPN and Team VIewer

As mentioned I am struggling with Blue Iris, but will address that in the proper forums.....Hope that was a sufficient intro, see you in another thread!

Thanks

Brian

Reaction score
Welcome!

Realize that if you know VLANs very well, you really do not need a second NIC. I do use the two-NIC process since I was not familiar with VLANs and really did not want to learn.

As far as remote access, you do not need TeamViewer if you use a VPN. I use TeamViewer since my IP provider has made it very difficult to run a VPN.