Front door peephole camera

Tacoman

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
Hi
I just installed my new homemade solid oak panel front door of which I am awful proud. I was going to install a standard optical peep hole but they will not fit doors less than about 1.25" thick. The panel on my door in the area where I need it is a just under an inch. I could pad it up to 1.25" but I noticed there are a number of battery powered camera type peepholes on Amazon. Based on the Amazon customer ratings most of them are junk. Has any one had any experience with anything like this or similar? Price is not a large factor if the quality is good and it will last for a couple of decades.

Thanks for any help
John

tangent

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
I just installed my new homemade solid oak panel front door of which I am awful proud.
I don't think you'll want to put any peephole camera in a door you're really proud of. You'd have to have a cable from the camera and it would just be ugly and limited in functionality.

If you want a camera, install a better camera outside the door and then mount a monitor or display of some kind inside on the wall.

If you really want a peephole try to find one or evaluate if it's possible to modify one to work on a shallower door.

Last edited:

Tacoman

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
The ones I was looking at had a small 3" screen on the inside that was motion activated. The whole thing was battery powered. Wiring to a monitor or for power is a non starter.

Last edited:

tangent

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
The ones I was looking at had a small 3" screen on the inside that was motion activated. The whole thing was battery powered. Wiring to for a monitor or for power is a non starter.
Then there's nothing left worth owning.

looney2ns

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
Most standard peepholes are just a tube with a lense on the end of it. Cut the tube to the length you need.

Valoristan

n3wb
Reaction score
Initially started with the outdoor GXV3672_HD Grandstream IP HD camera testing it. I just replaced the Foscam in the Garage with a Grandstream HDIP with a lens that doesn't give me a wide angle view. I was going to try a 180 degrees lens on a new one with 1080HD IP. I am now using both Zoneminder and Grandstream's GSurf Pro software. Mostly all of the Linux embedded / software CCTV stuff always supported wintel, Linux, android and apple consoles. Note that this is an HD picture which I have shrunk. I also built a second Zoneminder box for just IP HD cameras. I still have a combo of SD, HD and analog cams on the original Zoneminder. I am splitting the analog signals to separate video amps and forwarding them to the Omnitouch CCTV hub concurrent to using the mentioned encoder above. Wanting to play more with Grandstream IPHD cams; purchased the "barebones" camera boards and installed them in gutted Speco IP67 domes. They fit perfectly in the mounting bracket. The Grandstream "boards" also all include the hardware for SIP with connections on the Grandstream motherboard. (miniature). I have built now some 4 of these modded devices (Grandstream / Speco dome cams). BTW the granular details offered by an IP HD camera are great. The real test for these will be the winter snow and direct sunlight abuse of these modded domes. Noticed that some of the plastic pieces when exposed to direct sunlight become brittle and crumble while other pieces hold up well. Winter project is to try to retrofit one of these inside the Optex combo analog cameras. The board does have an analog output such that I can keep the analog and HD IP running to test. Regarding recordings; ran into something similiar here. Last year or so wife was waiting for a package. I said I never saw it. Finally I told wife I would review the CCTV videos. Absentmindedly I had picked up the package and just put it on a shelf in the garage while going into the house. I also have a couple of Ubiquti Aircams outside 10 Best Peephole Cameras - Reviews of Top Rated in 2017-2018 They have not caused any issues and weathered just fine with a 75MPH wind / storm we had the summer before last. They do not have the features set though that the Grandstream IP cameras have. IE: you can fit the combo IPHD board with SIP in a DIY doorbell thing with no issues.I like to watch YouTube videos of a similar theme when I'm looking for information about the right product. I hope this helps someone in the future. Good luck!

MixManSC

Pulling my weight
Reaction score
If you want to really get creative with hard wired and ZERO visible wires that is possible on doors. They makes special door hinges for that with different numbers of wires inside the hinge. To pull it off with a camera would take a quite a bit of ingenuity though and probably require hacking the camera apart some. Would be pretty slick to do it that way though.

TonyR

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
just information about peephole cameras
I realize that, I was just pointing out that the link in your post #9 actually is anchored to this very thread in this forum...click on it and see.
Not a cardinal sin, especially for a 2-post newb, just trying to help.

If you go to your profile page, info, about, home page I think you'll see the link you intended to post.

Me? I mever nake misteaks. :rolleyes:

Last edited: