Front gate intercom or video camera?

alwayson

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
Hello,

Happy holiday season and an upcoming Gregorian calendar new year to all of you.

I am building a front gate and was wondering if there are any cameras that can function as an intercom or come with an intercom, something like this - I saw this on another post here, but not sure if it is still a valid product etc and the only reply on there said they are crap

DAHUA IP Intercom Kit VTO2000A-VTH1550CH Flush Mount - (VTKIPKIT1F) - LSC - Secure your world - leading security products

I already have IP cameras for surveillance, a couple of IPC-HFW5231E-Z12, but I was wondering if there is something I can use to view video and communicate in real time.

I do not want a ring or some junk like that.

I have CAT and 110/120v power at the gate, and it has a hard wire connection to my NVR.

I am currently using a mix of different brands but plan to move to Blue Iris (BI) soon.

Thank you

tangent

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
Hello,

Happy holiday season and an upcoming Gregorian calendar new year to all of you.

I am building a front gate and was wondering if there are any cameras that can function as an intercom or come with an intercom, something like this - I saw this on another post here, but not sure if it is still a valid product etc and the only reply on there said they are crap

DAHUA IP Intercom Kit VTO2000A-VTH1550CH Flush Mount - (VTKIPKIT1F) - LSC - Secure your world - leading security products

I already have IP cameras for surveillance, a couple of IPC-HFW5231E-Z12, but I was wondering if there is something I can use to view video and communicate in real time.

I do not want a ring or some junk like that.

I have CAT and 110/120v power at the gate, and it has a hard wire connection to my NVR.

I am currently using a mix of different brands but plan to move to Blue Iris (BI) soon.

Thank you
How far is the gate from the house? Do you have the gate installed yet?

How much would you be willing to spend on an intercom, access code system, and/or camera for the gate? This would be in addition to the gate motors, controller, rf receiver, battery, photo eye, and vehicle sensing probe.

If the trench is open you might want to consider a second cat5e/6 cable but if needed you could probably mount a din rail switch with the gate controller as it would be nice to see license plates and faces which may require 2 cameras.

alwayson

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
@tangent

The gate is about 300 ft from the house, but I believe there is a switch halfway.

The existing temporary gate already has two Dahua IPC-HFW5231E-Z12 cameras installed and running, one of these for the street and one for LPR when I get the Blue Iris running and configured. RIght now both cameras just capture the street.

The new gate, which will replace the old gate will have these two cameras and I want to add some form of intercom and possibly video so that I can see who is coming in and converse with them if there is such a technology, even if it is not connected to the gate opener.

I already have a couple of extra CAT 6 wires run to the gate just in case I put some additional hardware.

I would like to spend a couple of hundred dollars, less than 500 if possible for the intercom and access code system/or camera.

the person installing the gate is selling me a new lift master motor, clickers, battery and photo eye. I am not sure if it has a vehicle sensing probe.....

that is my next question....do you guys recommend that the vehicle leave the property on its own, i.e. it triggers a loop at some point and activates the gate, or should i have to let the vehicle out with a clicker and or device that is installed at home

this is a residence

Thank you

tangent

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
Ethernet is rated for 100m = 328', longer can work without adding a switch. Voltage drop on your AC lines can be an issue at long distances, but I think you'll be ok just don't plug your power tools in at the gate. I would use a probe to open the gate for exiting vehicles, ideally far enough back that from when you trigger it until you drive to the gate it has time to open.

Lots of different possibilities. Best video will come from cameras like you already have.
It would be helpful to know the model or the rf receiver and gate controller.

You'd need some place to mount a keypad or intercom system that's convenient for drivers. This could be something like a stone pillar or a more practical gooseneck metal post. Some planning is required.

A keypad for code entry is useful for when you can't let someone in yourself, you can let delivery companies keep a code on file. You can get some pretty basic keypads that are wired to the gate controller or use a battery and wireless transmitter, even these are over $100 generally. There are a lot of intercom/doorbell products that may meet your needs and can trigger a gate or door strike, but the majority of these don't have a code entry keypad (this would include things from dahua, ring, doorbird, axis, etc).

Then there are devices that have an intercom and keypad for codes all in one unit. Many are designed to work with POTS phones (telephone entry system) but they can be adapted to voip. Most of these run $500-1000, brands include liftmaster (EL1SS), doorking, apollo, elite, linear, american access. Some less expensive products designed for a traditional analog intercom and might be a little challenging to interface with other systems.

As for IP products: CyberData makes some VoIP based models with keypads. Elika has some nice looking products that are listed as coming soon. You may have to setup an asterisk server to get these to work.

Another thing to consider is if you want a Knox Box for the fire dept.

tangent

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
Here's one more IP based product: GDS3710, Video Door System- Grandstream Networks
Seems pretty solid but may need a bit of a metal weather shield on top and on the back. I'm not quite sure what the back of it looks like as far as mounting to something like a gooseneck post. In some ways one of the pots units may be the safer choice.