FTP connecting but not uploading

nopzig

n3wb
Reaction score
We have 5 webcams we upload still shots from to our website every few mins. We've been using iSpy but it crashes often and I've been told it's worth spending the money and getting Blue Iris.

I setup one of our cameras and input the FTP server info and set it to upload every 2 mins. However it's not uploading any images. When I tell it to test the FTP connection it connects to our web server but doesn't upload any test file. It simply says it's connecting to the servers address and in the next line it show text the seems to show what os the server is running.

Here is what it shows in the log file

1 11/21/2017 4:56:00 PM PH Post: FTP: SSH-2.0-OpenSSH_7.2p2 Ubuntu-4ubuntu2.2
1 11/21/2017 4:58:00 PM PH Post: FTP: SSH-2.0-OpenSSH_7.2p2 Ubuntu-4ubuntu2.2
1 11/21/2017 5:00:00 PM PH Post: FTP: SSH-2.0-OpenSSH_7.2p2 Ubuntu-4ubuntu2.2
1 11/21/2017 5:02:00 PM PH Post: FTP: SSH-2.0-OpenSSH_7.2p2 Ubuntu-4ubuntu2.2
1 11/21/2017 5:04:00 PM PH Post: FTP: SSH-2.0-OpenSSH_7.2p2 Ubuntu-4ubuntu2.2

iSpy doesn't have a problem uploading to this server so it seems to be an issue in BI.

Any help is appreciated

nopzig

n3wb
Reaction score
I'm still having this problem has no one seen this before?

TonyR

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
I'm still having this problem has no one seen this before?
Not only do you set up FTP login info on under BI 'Settings' (the gear icon) as in image 1 below but you also have to go to the camera properties and set up 'Post' settings as in image 2 below.

Edit_FTP.jpg

Cam3_FTP.jpg

nopzig

n3wb
Reaction score
Thanks for the reply. I already have those settings correctly set in both locations.
Am I correct in assuming when you do a test of the FTP settings it should upload a test file? Because that part isn't happening. It logs into the server but doesn't go any further.

upload_2017-11-29_11-14-30.png

TonyR

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
Thanks for the reply. I already have those settings correctly set in both locations.
Am I correct in assuming when you do a test of the FTP settings it should upload a test file? Because that part isn't happening. It logs into the server but doesn't go any further.
Yes it should upload a file, as follows. Contents of Blue Iris FTP test dialog box when testing FTP:

"Connecting to ftp.blahblah.net
Connected
Uploading to /public_html/webcam/ftptest.txt
Sending
Successful"

It uploads a file named 'ftptest.txt' with the following contents:

"Test file"

Have you tried manually FTP'ing a text or .jpg file to a folder on your site using Filezilla, CuteFTP, etc. ?
If you can't do that, then re-check you login credentials. If any of that is wrong, at least one of those FTP programs will likely give you some error info that should be of some help to you.

"

nopzig

n3wb
Reaction score
Yes I've been able to use winscp and iSpy doesn't have a problem uploading images.

nopzig

n3wb
Reaction score
The Edit FTP server box. After you press the test button this is all it shows.

TonyR

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
The Edit FTP server box. After you press the test button this is all it shows.
Oh, OK. The screenshot cut off the top and you don't have 'visual styles' selected under 'Advanced System Properties' so the buttons are square...I just didn't recognize it.
Back to your issue: sorry, I don't have any more ideas, I guess I 'crapped out.'

nopzig

n3wb
Reaction score
Oh, OK. The screenshot cut off the top and you don't have 'visual styles' selected under 'Advanced System Properties' so the buttons are square...I just didn't recognize it.
Back to your issue: sorry, I don't have any more ideas, I guess I 'crapped out.'
Thanks for trying.

danpolo

n3wb
Reaction score
Hey, I'm having the exact (almost) same problem here. Both, my ftp test and my logfile are saying this:

1 09.02.2018 14:03:00 Out5 Post: FTP: SSH-2.0-OpenSSH_6.7p1 Debian-5+deb8u1~ui80+7

Does anybody have a clue whats going wrong here? I double checked login/pw.

TonyR

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
Hey, I'm having the exact (almost) same problem here. Both, my ftp test and my logfile are saying this:

1 09.02.2018 14:03:00 Out5 Post: FTP: SSH-2.0-OpenSSH_6.7p1 Debian-5+deb8u1~ui80+7

Does anybody have a clue whats going wrong here? I double checked login/pw.
Not sure what the outcome was for @nopzig before but last week I had FTP issues with my website host (iPower).

For 4 years my Ambient 'Virtual Station' (VWS) has been uploading weather info every 10 minutes with no issues. Also my BI server has been uploading a cam image every 5 minutes also with no problems.

All of a sudden both came to a grinding halt. After the usual rebooting of BI server, restarting weather and BI programs it still was a no-go. Using BI's test was a no-go. Even FTP'ing a text file using Filezilla did not work. All 3 FTP methods (VWS, BI and Filezilla) would connect but no upload. Strange. It was like this for 2 days.

So I call iPower support. Big mistake. I should have gone and gotten an unneeded root canal. A nice male with a heavy accent, intermittent headset and who tried unsuccessfully to be heard over a dozen other CS agents in the background speaking at the same time and as loudly as him offered no relief. I explained my problem 10 times in 30 minutes and at one point he asked if he should '...reset my credentials". He asked ME what he should do. He also refused to let me speak to a supervisor. I hung up and delved deeply into family matters and work-related issues..basically ignored it and 2 days later IT ALL STARTED WORKING AGAIN!

That's a half hour in my life I'll never get back. So what's YOUR fix? I don't know but at some point after you've done all the basics (checked usernames, passwords, rebooted/restarted, etc.) you may have to proceed to that dreaded step: calling your web host.

Hitch up your jock strap (or sports bra), pick up the phone and good luck!