FTP not working as expected in BI

Beefarmer

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
I have not been able to send a .jpg to wunderground with BI. I can send the same file with all the same password/id/and correct file size via FileZilla without out issue. BI is placing the updated files with the BI weather tool info on it in the correct folder as far as I can tell .. just not getting picked up and pushed to wunderground.

So unless the .jpg is sitting in the wrong folder and not being seen.... I've got it going to the wrong folder... so this is a recent one sitting in the folder and wunderground has an old one I had to push with FileZilla ..

1579822887028.png

Attachments

TonyR

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
It's likely not BI, it's an issue with WU.

I gave up trying to FTP an image to WU a couple of years ago when BI would FTP OK to my site but not to WU.
I now FTP to a page on my web site and have WU pick that image up from there periodically using a URL.

A search of Weather Underground and Wunderground on IPCT will reveal LOTS of issues, especially the last couple of years or since IBM/The Weather Channel took over.

Beefarmer

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
It's likely not BI, it's an issue with WU.

I gave up trying to FTP an image to WU a couple of years ago when BI would FTP OK to my site but not to WU.
I now FTP to a page on my web site and have WU pick that image up from there periodically using a URL.

A search of Weather Underground and WU on this forum will reveal LOTS of issues, especially the last couple of years or since IBM/The Weather Channel took over.
Thanks for your reply. I don’t have a website of my own. I wonder if I could find a free site to ftp files to and WU could pick up. This seems like a real pain.

sebastiantombs

Known around here
Reaction score
I use BI to FTP to WU (boy, talk about alphabet soup!) with no problem. Uncheck everything except "Queue an update image every", no need for the rest. Also check the settings in the FTP configuration in the main menu of BI. Check the server name and login credentials to make sure they match what WU supplies, then run a test. As an aside, I use an IP rather than the "wbcam.wunderground.com" since the URL version is too unreliable. Try using 52.36.136.128 instead of the URL.

Another tip, watch the file size. WU places a cap on the amount of total space you can have on their server. Images over about 200KB will result in herky jerky video playback on the WU site.

Last edited:

Beefarmer

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
I use BI to FTP to WU (boy, talk about alphabet soup!) with no problem. Uncheck everything except "Queue an update image every", no need for the rest. Also check the settings in the FTP configuration in the main menu of BI. Check the server name and login credentials to make sure they match what WU supplies, then run a test. As an aside, I use an IP rather than the "wbcam.wunderground.com" since the URL version is too unreliable. Try using 52.36.136.128 instead of the URL.

Another tip, watch the file size. WU places a cap on the amount of total space you can have on their server. Images over about 200KB will result in herky jerky video playback on the WU site.
I think we have a winner!!!!! I think the IP address did it. I use the camera for security as well so that is why others are checked... but working now for sure!!!!!! Thank you so much and @[U]TonyR[/U] this might be the ticket for you as well.. Also... love your flag!!!

sebastiantombs

Known around here
Reaction score
Clone the camera, reduce the resolution for FTP to a level that works on WU and just set the clone to FTP then. It won't add any, significant, CPU utilization in BI and will keep the FTP separate. I do that and make it a hidden camera to reduce screen clutter on the console.

sebastiantombs

Known around here
Reaction score
A second method to separate the WU camera from your surveillance system, the caffeine has kicked in.

Create another camera with the same IP but use the second video stream, assuming has has multiple streams. The second stream is, generally, lower resolution to begin with and can be adjusted to a level that WU will accept with no problem or affecting your regular surveillance resolutions. Set that camera to FTP and hide it to avoid screen clutter on the console.

The camera I use actually produces four images, if I "unhide" the WU instance. There is the, regular, overview surveillance camera, a clone to count vehicular traffic in the street and another clone to act as a driveway alert. The WU instance is actually using the secondary video stream at 720P while all the others are at 1080P, 2MP.

TonyR

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
A second method to separate the WU camera from your surveillance system, the caffeine has kicked in.

Create another camera with the same IP but use the second video stream, assuming has has multiple streams. The second stream is, generally, lower resolution to begin with and can be adjusted to a level that WU will accept with no problem or affecting your regular surveillance resolutions. Set that camera to FTP and hide it to avoid screen clutter on the console.

The camera I use actually produces four images, if I "unhide" the WU instance. There is the, regular, overview surveillance camera, a clone to count vehicular traffic in the street and another clone to act as a driveway alert. The WU instance is actually using the secondary video stream at 720P while all the others are at 1080P, 2MP.
All very good ideas....thx!

My 7 year old Davis Instruments console that sends the Vantage Vue data to the PC via USB has crapped out, so I haven't been able to upload anything to WU (or anyone else for that matter) since about Nov. last year.

I'm currently in the market for a good replacement system, (remote sensors, wireless console with "no-PC-needed" upload to Internet). Lots of competition now with Davis 7 years later and at a MUCH lower price.

i'm currently entertaining Ambient Weather's WS-1401-IP and the WS-2902A but am undecided.

bp2008

Staff member
Reaction score
Haha I do use Acurite Access (cloud-based) weather stations, and even wrote a little app to intercept the outgoing traffic to their cloud so I could embed some of the info in Blue Iris without having to scrape it from their web service. The system does support WU integration.

I don't personally have a problem with it besides that I really wish they would just make the gateway device provide all its weather data locally through the web server it already has.

Beefarmer

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
All very good ideas....thx!

My 7 year old Davis Instruments console that sends the Vantage Vue data to the PC via USB has crapped out, so I haven't been able to upload anything to WU (or anyone else for that matter) since about Nov. last year.

I'm currently in the market for a good replacement system, (remote sensors, wireless console with "no-PC-needed" upload to Internet). Lots of competition now with Davis 7 years later and at a MUCH lower price.

i'm currently entertaining Ambient Weather's WS-1401-IP and the WS-2902A but am undecided.
I’m using the Ambient WS-2902A. This is my first weather station other than temp and humidity gathering ones. So far works well other than the WU ventures.

sebastiantombs

Known around here
Reaction score
My complaints with Acurite are that the wind sensor is an integral part of the array and can't be remoted to a higher, more realistic, height unless I want to re-engineer the array. Then there's the lack of support for anything but connecting to WU, which has turned into Weather Useless since Itty Bitty Machine got their grubby hands on it. Throw in the crappy to non-existent support along with not being able to, conveniently, access the data from the "Access" device and it's a waste. If I had it to do all over again, I'd do it all over Acurite!

Beefarmer

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
So are there any specific weather sites that allow you to connect with webcam upload weather, that are better than others??

looney2ns

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
Ip address as noted above has worked for me the past couple of weeks, without issue. Only thing to watch out for as noted is the file size. You can easily see that where the file is stored prior to upload on your local drive. Webcam Dashboard | Weather Underground

This literally just landed on my door step 15 minutes ago. This is a replacement station for my 95 yr old father. His 27yr old Texas Weather Instrument Station gave up the ghost just recently. I chose this station based on reviews and my brother in law having this same station for almost a year without any issue's.
The WS-2000 station is the newer variant of the 2902a. The 2a comes with a color film display, where as the WS-2000 comes with a real TFT lcd display. The Tft has a much wider field of view. Ease of readability was the major factor for dad. If anybody cares, I'll post more pics and my thought about the station as I set it up today for testing.
IMG_20200124_121630488.jpg

looney2ns

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
My complaints with Acurite are that the wind sensor is an integral part of the array and can't be remoted to a higher, more realistic, height unless I want to re-engineer the array. Then there's the lack of support for anything but connecting to WU, which has turned into Weather Useless since Itty Bitty Machine got their grubby hands on it. Throw in the crappy to non-existent support along with not being able to, conveniently, access the data from the "Access" device and it's a waste. If I had it to do all over again, I'd do it all over Acurite!
I'm with you, I want the sensors appropriately mounted. A company called EcoWitt, (Site is here) who is the actual manufacture of the Ambient stations, has a new station that has sperate sensors.
That station is here.

As an Amazon Associate IPCamTalk earns from qualifying purchases.

grumpywilson

Pulling my weight
Reaction score
The WS-2000 station is the newer variant of the 2902a. The 2a comes with a color film display, where as the WS-2000 comes with a real TFT lcd display. The Tft has a much wider field of view. Ease of readability was the major factor for dad. If anybody cares, I'll post more pics and my thought about the station as I set it up today for testing.
View attachment 54473
Any thoughts on this weather station after installation or is the EcoWitt HP3501 station a better purchase with it having separate sensors?