Full access to cameras via Hikvision NVR?

highon2str

n3wb
Reaction score
Would very much like to know if this is possible, specifically forcing night vision mode off and access to colour/WDR settings. Seems like there is only very limited control via the NVR interface. I have the 8 port PoE NVR. :)

blake

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
You need to log into each camera to adjust some things like wdr.

highon2str

n3wb
Reaction score
You need to log into each camera to adjust some things like wdr.
Well that's the thing, I don't think logging in individually is an option as the moment you hook it back to the NVR, it writes it's own settings to it. And within the NVR I can't seem to find the option to keep a camera in day mode.

Is there perhaps a proper English firmware available that will do this?

nzipcamera

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
For accessing any of the cameras “Advanced Configuration” setting I’ve found logging into the camera directly is the best way to go (and the only way for me).

I’ve got a DS-7608N-E2/P8 NVR. Not sure if you have the "Virtual Host" function as this is the other way of accessing the cameras, mine doesn't.

So the work around I’ve been using to try and keep the hole thing as simple as possible is to plug a Ethernet cable into both the NVR LAN port and to one of the eight NVR POE router ports. Then plug your computer or LAN into one of the other NVR POE router ports (see attached picture)

This gives you access to both sides of the NVR (cameras & NVR)

Then use your internet browser to access either your NVR or camera's more detailed features based on the IP address.

The down side of doing it this way is you lose the use of two NVR POE ports and the possibility of more traffic on your LAN.

I’ve set up a separate tab in my browser for the NVR and each individual camera, so it’s nice any easy to login to any device without having to remember lots of IP address.

The way I have mine installed seems to work really well and is nice and easy to access.

Attachments

DaveP

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
The down side of doing it this way is you lose the use of two NVR POE ports
If you connect the lan output to your switch / router (your red) .. and one of the camera inputs (your blue) also to your switch / router, then you will only loose one of your poe ports, the good news is that if you have a camera that doesn't require poe then that can also be connected to the switch / router and the nvr will still be able to access it (via the switch / router)....

So you get to keep all the ports and access to 8 cameras, and only loose the ability of 1 poe.

But of course thats only if you are using a switch or router with spare holes, lol

Last edited by a moderator:

ADCS

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
If you connect the lan output to your switch / router (your red) .. and one of the camera inputs (your blue) also to your switch / router, then you will only loose one of your poe ports, the good news is that if you have a camera that doesn't require poe then that can also be connected to the switch / router and the nvr will still be able to access it (via the switch / router)....

So you get to keep all the ports and access to 8 cameras, and only loose the ability of 1 poe.

But of course thats only if you are using a switch or router with spare holes, lol
That is what I do as well.

NVR LAN port to router.
NVR PoE port to router.

highon2str

n3wb
Reaction score
So what you guys are saying is that the NVR won't override these settings? The cameras will hold their configuration?

highon2str

n3wb
Reaction score
Thanks for the detailed picture. I might have to try this!

Am I correct to say that once I am done configuring, I can unplug my laptop (will this cause the cameras to lose settings?!) and plug the LAN port of the NVR straight back into my router? I run a set and forget setup and don't have a computer hooked up permanently to the NVR.

For accessing any of the cameras “Advanced Configuration” setting I’ve found logging into the camera directly is the best way to go (and the only way for me).

I’ve got a DS-7608N-E2/P8 NVR. Not sure if you have the "Virtual Host" function as this is the other way of accessing the cameras, mine doesn't.

So the work around I’ve been using to try and keep the hole thing as simple as possible is to plug a Ethernet cable into both the NVR LAN port and to one of the eight NVR POE router ports. Then plug your computer or LAN into one of the other NVR POE router ports (see attached picture)

This gives you access to both sides of the NVR (cameras & NVR)

Then use your internet browser to access either your NVR or camera's more detailed features based on the IP address.

The down side of doing it this way is you lose the use of two NVR POE ports and the possibility of more traffic on your LAN.

I’ve set up a separate tab in my browser for the NVR and each individual camera, so it’s nice any easy to login to any device without having to remember lots of IP address.

The way I have mine installed seems to work really well and is nice and easy to access.

nzipcamera

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score

Am I correct to say that once I am done configuring, I can unplug my laptop (will this cause the cameras to lose settings?!) and plug the LAN port of the NVR straight back into my router? I run a set and forget setup and don't have a computer hooked up permanently to the NVR.

Camera and NVR will retain settings (as long as you saved them) once you unplug your Laptop or router. It doesn't matter if they lose power as the changes will still be retained.

Thanny

n3wb
Reaction score
What's the DHCP situation when you wire the PoE switch into the rest of the network? Can you disable DHCP on the NVR and have an existing DHCP server assign addresses to the cameras? I'm considering getting such an NVR, and would like to avoid having to buy a separate PoE switch to allow direct camera access.

DaveP

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
As said above ... there are many ways to skin a cat

DHCP should be set by your router and then assign the cameras & nvr with a fixed ip (disable DHCP on cameras / nvr)

A seperate PoE switch is not required.

FlyingRain

n3wb
Reaction score
Thankyou very much. I've been tearing my hair out thinking I'd done something wrong - IPC's and NVR arrived this week. Makes it so much easier.

My gratitude to you all.

Hawko777

n3wb
Reaction score

Hi Mate,
I tried what you mentioned, then tried to login to the cameras using the ip address that was allocated by the nvr( 192.168.254.***). No go their. I cant find any other camera ip addresses.
I am as useless as fcuk when it comes to this stuff, but would appreciate anything anyone has to offer. I just want to be able to adjust the settings of the camera's.:sad2: Yes I followed your pic. Router still shows the ip addy of the nvr only, in "Attached Devices".

Thanny

n3wb
Reaction score
Hi Mate,
I tried what you mentioned, then tried to login to the cameras using the ip address that was allocated by the nvr( 192.168.254.***). No go their. I cant find any other camera ip addresses.
I am as useless as fcuk when it comes to this stuff, but would appreciate anything anyone has to offer. I just want to be able to adjust the settings of the camera's.:sad2: Yes I followed your pic. Router still shows the ip addy of the nvr only, in "Attached Devices".
There are two ways to access the cameras' management pages after they are connected to the NVR.

One is to enable the Virtual Host feature of the NVR, if available. Once enabled, go to the camera management page, and click the link next to each camera. The links are to the NVR's IP on a specific port, which the NVR will redirect to the camera (and back again).

The second is to wire the integrated PoE switch on the NVR to your LAN. If you only have one port into your LAN available where the NVR is located, then do it like in the picture above, which occupies two PoE ports. If you have at least two ports available, then connect the integrated PoE switch and the NVR management port separately to the LAN. That uses up only one of the PoE ports, and lets the NVR communicate at full speed, as the PoE switch is only 10/100, while the NVR management port is gigabit. With the cameras on your LAN with DHCP enabled, they will get their address from your DHCP server (which typically resides on a router device). You will need to manually point the NVR to the cameras by their assigned IP.

I haven't tried it, but it's also conceivable to turn DHCP off on the cameras before plugging them into the NVR, which would prompt them to get an IP from the NVR via a proprietary protocol. That would make the cameras plug and play with respect to the NVR, though you'd need to play with routing on your LAN to make them directly accessible, as they'll be on a separate IP network.

alastairstevenson

Staff member
Reaction score
I haven't tried it, but it's also conceivable to turn DHCP off on the cameras before plugging them into the NVR, which would prompt them to get an IP from the NVR via a proprietary protocol. That would make the cameras plug and play with respect to the NVR, though you'd need to play with routing on your LAN to make them directly accessible, as they'll be on a separate IP network.
Well, it's kinduv along the lines of what you mentioned above. Didn't sound "useless", far from it.

whoslooking

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
If you change a setting on the camera, it won't stay if it's connected to the NVR.
The NVR will override the camera's setting and change them back to match the settings in the NVR. Not all but most.