Full-sized locking rack with UPS...recommendations? Overkill?

Dave88LX

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
I have been trying to think of where I want to put this gear. I have my NVR, POE Switch, will try to relocate cable modem (but have some figuring out to do with that), patch panel.

As a network engineer, I have various routers and switches I'd like to mount out of the way as well. I have a little Skeletek half-rack right now that it's sitting in.

I'd like to buy a close to full sized rack 36-44 RU, enclosed, with locking doors, and maybe mount it here beneath my basement stairs. I was thinking the outside of this area would be finished with drywall, but I could also finish the inside with painted OSB or plywood. Install a locking door on the outside. Might even be able to throw a small HVAC leg in there to keep temps down if required.

I'd like to have a rack-mount UPS sitting in the bottom to keep the NVR, POE switch, and cablemodem running at least for a while in the event of a power outage. Long enough to get the generator fired up in the event of a longer outage.

I'm checking out Craigslist for used racks, but curious if there are some affordable decently made racks I could be looking at?

What about an UPS? I'm aware of APC and TrippLite. Recommendations?
Thinking this would be decent. Could also do expandable version.
https://www.amazon.com/Tripp-Lite-Battery-Rack-Mount-SMART1500LCD/dp/B000DZRY9C/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1506459864&sr=8-1&keywords=tripp-lite+rack+mount+ups+1500

NVR is 16.7W, HDD x 2 = 5.7W ea, POE sw is max 96W depending on camera config (say 130-150W max down here.

upload_2017-9-26_16-47-46.jpeg

upload_2017-9-26_16-47-56.jpeg

Last edited:
As an Amazon Associate IPCamTalk earns from qualifying purchases.

Mike A.

Known around here
Reaction score
Have you got enough stuff to come near filling a full rack? I ended up with one for free at one point and by the end I was kind of glad to get rid of the thing and swap to a smaller 12U rack that didn't take up so much room. If you have a generator with cut-over then you probably don't need a huge UPS. I have an earlier version of that same UPS and it's been fine for my purposes. It's only 2U.

bp2008

Staff member
Reaction score
But where will you store your extra carpet rolls and plastic pipe if you have a rack in there? :)

As much as I'd like to have a nice, tidy rack, I find them too limiting. Rack mountable gear usually costs more, sometimes a lot more. So I have about 3U worth of rack mountable gear and everything else just needs a shelf. One good floor to ceiling metal shelf costs $50. http://a.co/csVIN1T

Dave88LX

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
Haha -- there's a whole lot more crap under there now too. The carpet can go in the trash -- it's garbage builder-grade carpet. I plan to put some sort of wood down through the house when time/money permits.

I have a couple things right now but adding more. Building a CCNP rack, plus some security things etc. I like the idea of a small room to put all of my extra electronics gear anyways.

No generator with cutover, maybe someday in the future. I have a regular generator I have to fire up.

RMatt

n3wb
Reaction score
Might even be able to throw a small HVAC leg in there to keep temps down if required.
Bear in mind that during certain seasons your HVAC will not be running -- or will be heating. If you need cooling, it may need to be something independent of your house system.

c hris527

Known around here
Reaction score
I have been trying to think of where I want to put this gear. I have my NVR, POE Switch, will try to relocate cable modem (but have some figuring out to do with that), patch panel.

As a network engineer, I have various routers and switches I'd like to mount out of the way as well. I have a little Skeletek half-rack right now that it's sitting in.

I'd like to buy a close to full sized rack 36-44 RU, enclosed, with locking doors, and maybe mount it here beneath my basement stairs. I was thinking the outside of this area would be finished with drywall, but I could also finish the inside with painted OSB or plywood. Install a locking door on the outside. Might even be able to throw a small HVAC leg in there to keep temps down if required.

I'd like to have a rack-mount UPS sitting in the bottom to keep the NVR, POE switch, and cablemodem running at least for a while in the event of a power outage. Long enough to get the generator fired up in the event of a longer outage.

I'm checking out Craigslist for used racks, but curious if there are some affordable decently made racks I could be looking at?

What about an UPS? I'm aware of APC and TrippLite. Recommendations?
Thinking this would be decent. Could also do expandable version.
https://www.amazon.com/Tripp-Lite-Battery-Rack-Mount-SMART1500LCD/dp/B000DZRY9C/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1506459864&sr=8-1&keywords=tripp-lite+rack+mount+ups+1500

NVR is 16.7W, HDD x 2 = 5.7W ea, POE sw is max 96W depending on camera config (say 130-150W max down here.

View attachment 22130

View attachment 22131
I can make pretty good use of a Tripplite 12 u rack, its a happy medium. Anything bigger might be a waste of money. The side doors do not swing, they drop if not holding on to it because it not hinged.

wantafastz28

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
I can make pretty good use of a Tripplite 12 u rack, its a happy medium. Anything bigger might be a waste of money. The side doors do not swing, they drop if not holding on to it because it not hinged.
I used the same thing and love it, i haven't crammed the ups in there yet, but it is doable.