Full time record or motion sensor on NVR

Mark rider

n3wb
Reaction score
So it's my first Foray in to CCTV for my home
I have bought a Hikvision NVR 7608 and an Hikvision IP cam I will be buying more but want to just get the one set up and use to useing it.
Do most people leave it recording all.the time or do you just use the motion sensor to record.
Tell me if I'm wrong but if it's recording full time and something happened on cam how do you then look for it ifyou have to go through all the footage could take ages.
Thanks for your help .
I'm sure there will me more question along the line from me

Mark

ekaz

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
Mark,
Welcome...I'd take some time to read and search the forums, there is plenty of information on setup and use of cameras/NVRs. I personally have mine setup to record on motion, no need to record everything all the time and waste the storage space. Depending on software, you might still be able to have it mark motion. Good luck with the new system.

Mark rider

n3wb
Reaction score
Thanks Akaz
Ok I will have a flick through
One question can you change the length of the record once the motion has been detected ?

Thanks

Mark

Fastb

Known around here
Reaction score
Mark rider,

Welcome to the forum!

Drives are cheap, I record 24/7 and that gives me a week of recordings.
Motion Detect outdoor is pretty lame - too many false alerts on bug, moving branches, shadows, etc.
I like IVS; tripwire and intrusion zones are much better than MD.
When an event occurs, I can review the footage from all cams. The footage of the non-IVS may have something.

if it's recording full time and something happened on cam how do you then look for it ifyou have to go through all the footage could take ages.
There's a better way.
Events are marked on the playback timeline, allowing you to go straight there and view footage. See pics in this thread: IVS - trip wire experience
Or do this google search playback timeline, event, site:ipcamtalk.com
(it will search within this forum only)

Fastb

nayr

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
10 Cameras, most H265, with 10TB of Disks, and I have over 3 weeks of retention recording 24/7/365

no reason not record continuously; Ive had several events occour that would not had been picked up by motion recording only.. including a driveby shooting that occurred just out of view.

Better to have it and not need it, than need it and not have it.. Motion other Events are flagged on timeline, so scrubbing through alot of video is really easy.

alastairstevenson

Staff member
Reaction score
The above is good advice.
2 NVRs, 1 motion, 1 continuous, and a NAS is even better if you're paranoid.

But, just for info:
One question can you change the length of the record once the motion has been detected ?
In the web GUI -
Storage | Schedule Settings | Advanced button | Post Record dropdown selection.
But the associated buffering on multiple cameras could impact NVR memory availability.

Mark rider

n3wb
Reaction score
So whats difference between motion, alarm and events on record schedule ?

nayr

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
Motion = Motion Detection
Alarm = Alarm IO or NetAlarm
Events = IVS and Facial Detection

Mark rider

n3wb
Reaction score
So Events are line crossing etc
What's net alarm ?
So what's best to use to get net connect alarm.messages to work.on the app ?
Thanks
Mark

kostas

n3wb
Reaction score
hi to all i have a problem!!!is there any settings for 24/7 recording???i cant find the way to set it up for 8 ip cams!!thanks!!!