fully waterproof Discreet camera for reversed surveillance

alekslyse

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
Cause of the laws here we are not allowed to film any public areas like a road directly or indirectly, but I would want to be able read number plates, plus one camera in the flower bed that is directed toward the house. Both these cameras will have no environmental protection, and should be as discreet as possible. I would be able to pull a POE cable underground to both of them.

Does it exist something very discreet with POE, good resoultion for this prorpose?

bp2008

Staff member
Reaction score
Hikvision and Dahua do have covert cameras designed to be small and discreet. I'm not sure of their outdoor ratings or lens options.

Where do you live that recording is not allowed in public areas?

alekslyse

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
Hikvision and Dahua do have covert cameras designed to be small and discreet. I'm not sure of their outdoor ratings or lens options.

Where do you live that recording is not allowed in public areas?
Live in norway, so even having cameras on your own house, dashcams is border to nono cause of privacy of others. A house camera cam no capture any road, public, audio, driveways etc.

But i can keep it discreet enough people wont notice. I already got a lot of complaints about my house cameras cause people feel under surveilance

tangent

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
IPC-HUM8231-L3 + IPC-HUM8231-E2

You aren't going to be reading license plates unless it's positioned very close to the road. The "main box" that the camera(s) plug into is not rated for outdoor use.

tangent

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
I have that camera, even though it is considered STARVIS sensor it's pretty awful in the dark.
I figured as much, but it is one of the more discrete options. How's the daytime performance?

bp2008

Staff member
Reaction score
Well our sun is a star, so it has great visibility under starlight. That must be why they called it that.

TonyR

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
I already got a lot of complaints about my house cameras cause people feel under surveilance
I understand your plight, but I'm not sure why people everywhere are so @#$% paranoid.
I got a similar comment, not exactly a complaint, from a neighbor driving by....I told him "...we live on a circle, if you're uncomfortable driving by my house, then go the other #$%@ way."

bp2008

Staff member
Reaction score
I had a neighbor come over a while back and ask me why there was a camera pointed straight over the back fence into their bedroom window. I was flabbergasted. I don't point cameras at my neighbors, at least not purposely. So what the heck?

The situation was that they had noticed this temperature sensor high up on the back of my shed. It has a red LED inside that blinks every few seconds (whenever its controller takes a reading). So when they noticed it the previous night, they thought it might be a camera spying on them. And then pulling into my driveway the next morning and noticing all the actual cameras on the front of my garage and house, this must have solidified the theory.

looney2ns

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
I had a neighbor come over a while back and ask me why there was a camera pointed straight over the back fence into their bedroom window. I was flabbergasted. I don't point cameras at my neighbors, at least not purposely. So what the heck?

The situation was that they had noticed this temperature sensor high up on the back of my shed. It has a red LED inside that blinks every few seconds (whenever its controller takes a reading). So when they noticed it the previous night, they thought it might be a camera spying on them. And then pulling into my driveway the next morning and noticing all the actual cameras on the front of my garage and house, this must have solidified the theory.

@bp2008
How long have you been using this sensor? Have you been happy with it?
I assume you use it with one of their data boxes such as:

bp2008

Staff member
Reaction score
Yes, I have two of those boxes, each with I think 8 sensor input jacks. Not PoE. The included software didn't do what I wanted (I wanted an http server) so I wrote my own and both have been rock solid for years.

alekslyse

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
Sadly some is just paranoid. I usually just pull up my phone and show them see I dont see your bedroom (and she is 80 so if I wanted I would have bigger issues than this.............)

tangent

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
Yes, I have two of those boxes, each with I think 8 sensor input jacks. Not PoE. The included software didn't do what I wanted (I wanted an http server) so I wrote my own and both have been rock solid for years.
That's a lot of temp/humidity sensors. At least on ebay the control box for those is a bit more than I'd pay for something I don't like the software on.

Reaction score
I figured as much, but it is one of the more discrete options. How's the daytime performance?
I don't think the image is bad during the day I can definitely see whats going on in the living room (this was meant to be a birdhouse camera, but it can't see anything without a fair amount of light so kind of shelved that for the time being).

I do notice it had a hard time with dynamic light situations like when the kitchen lights dome on off camera its pretty slow to react, and it isn't as clear of image as my 2MP eyeball camera.

But the size and being able to relocate the main circuitry several meters away might serve the purpose for the right use case.

eagerbob

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
You could also try to hide a camera in something like a letterbox, birdhouse, fence post, garden light. That's is the direction I would look into. Hide it in plain sight, so to speak.

alekslyse

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
You could also try to hide a camera in something like a letterbox, birdhouse, fence post, garden light. That's is the direction I would look into. Hide it in plain sight, so to speak.
Yeah I was thinking drilling it into the side of my black mailbox