FYI: for those with home sprinklers, Costco has Rachio3 12 zone on sale for $149

Reaction score
As someone that is about to get into DIY landscaping and watering, a smart controller is a MUST. I originally had my sights on RainMachine controller but they went with surprise gotcha subscription model which screwed over their existing customers. I'll pass.
Various other smart controllers but it I am now leaning towards Rachio. The Rachio 3 at Costco is specialized as in it is a 12 zone with yard mapping and you will not find this anywhere else even on Rachio home page. The standard Rachio 3 is 8 or 16 zone without yard mapping, both over $149.

Reaction score
I have this exact model, I use to have the a RainMachine controller. The Rachio3 is 10 time better. I also have the flow meter and it works great, to bad they discontinued it.

View attachment 131859
why do you have 1800 gallons in your living room, is what I want to know :)
discontinued it, you say. The flow meter? Rachio 3 / Costco version? RainMachine?

Clark Griswald

Pulling my weight
Reaction score
Orbit 6-Zone
App offers all the info you can use, after entering standard yard information (slope, grass/plant types, etc).
Purchased this in 2019 for $85.
My city offers rebates for conservation devices, and I was reimbursed full purchase price.

As an Amazon Associate IPCamTalk earns from qualifying purchases.

DsineR

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
Rachio is great! Solid app & online interface, easy to setup. Direct replacement with most controlled irrigation systems.
There are 3rd party flow meters compatible with Rachio, check the Rachio community for info.
Screenshot_20220708-104910_Rachio.jpg

Reaction score
I was also considering going the DIY sprinkler controller route (ESP with 8 relay board). But... I always have to keep in mind if I ever sell this house, what would the potential buyer think? Highly doubt next person would be as DIY as I am. So yep....still thinking of the Rachio Costco version. Just waiting for my wallet to stop screaming at me.

DLONG2

Known around here
Reaction score
I bought the 8 zone Rachio last year, and it works quite well, even though I am using only 5 zones. I even have it integrated into HomeSeer, but for what purpose? Because it's there!

DanDenver

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
Rainmachine did not screw anyone over. They are just pushing the cloud now. Another revenue stream for them.

But it is not required at all. I can still access it from anywhere in the world, so can my wife. We are IOS and Android.

Just follow the directions. Easy peasy.