Gaps in time line?

bug99

Pulling my weight
Reaction score
I try to largely leave thigs alone that are working, but perhaps i have been asleep at the wheel over the last couple of months and didn't notice some stuff changing in the BI/ DS world. Today, i tried to see what went on on one of my cameras early this morning/late last night, and was stymied in the BI time line and scrubber. There was a bunch of blank time where no video was shown, but it was there if i messed arround in some cumbersome ways.

If i select any of the times between the light blue sections (see the image below), i see nothing in the playback window. If it select the next or previous blue section and then move the scrubber, it has an image. What is going on?

[note i was at BI version 5.6.0.6 a few hours ago, and am now at the latest 5.6.0.11]. too early to know if that changes things. I am not sure how to easily check and update the version of the CPU DS that is running, but it is likely the version from around March, but shows as modified 9/29/2021 ]

1663169430596.png

jrbeddow

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
First thing to try is to right click on the alerts region and select Database, Rebuild/Regenerate. Many changes in how this is structured, so worth a shot.

bug99

Pulling my weight
Reaction score
And the 2nd thing to do is turn off automatic updates!!!!
I do not do automatic updates. Not a fan. I manually chose them. 5.6.0.6 was the first one chosen after the previous critical update (5.5.4.somthing i think), and then of coerce i went to the latest ver to try to fix the issue here, which based on the fact that all my cameras after 8am (when i did the update) had blue contiguous sections in the time line, i would have said that it did the trick, even though it did not change the blue section prior to 8am.

However: I just did the suggestion repair/Regenerate the database as per @jrbeddow above. It appears that after that completed, the blue is now contiguous in the time line all the way back to Monday the 5th, so that obviously fixed the primary issue.

Thanks.

On a related note: how do i know when to update DS versions? I feel like moving to SenseAI might be the next big change, but i don't think that it is necessary yet, right?

wittaj

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
In that case then LOL, the third thing is do not update until an update provides something that interests you LOL.

Many of us are still using DeepStack and haven't updated since SenseAI was introduced as it has been problematic for some people that are still using DS.

So along those lines, since DS is no longer supported by BI, If DS works for you, then don't update DS as it might break what was working. I am still running at least one version behind on DS because the version I have works and doesn't miss, so no sense trying to break it LOL.

sebastiantombs

Known around here
Reaction score
I'm on 5.5.7.11. The 5.6.0.x series had problems with the database so I' haven't updated. I'm also using DeepStack and have no intention of switching to SenseAI until it actually integrates somewhat smoothly. At the moment it need reg edits and some json file edits to get it to work. Sometimes, even after those edits, it won't work anyway, especially with some NVidia cards (GPU version of SenseAI).

jrbeddow

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
I also agree with not auto-updating, and I am still holding off on SenseAI until we see better integration, as DeepStack works well enough for me (even on "CPU only" mode in my case). If we eventually see notably improved detection times along with better ease of use, I will of course reconsider.

However, I would encourage those holding off on upgrading to the BI 5.6.0.x series to take the plunge at this point: yes, you will likely need to run the Database Repair/Regenerate one time, but it seems to be all good after that. On the plus side, I now no longer experience the occasional glitch (in reality, it used to be about 10% of the time) with Pushover UI3 links that were broken. This completely solved that, as long as you are talking about one of the last few point releases.