Garbage truck takes out my neighbor's car

RJF

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
With a bonus closeup from what used to be my LPR camera. These videos are from July. I shared the videos with their employer after it became clear they did not report the incident.

The first video was taken by a Lorex 8MP 4K camera. The second video was taken by a Dahua HFW5231-Z5.

Last edited:

RJF

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
Wow, that sucks for both involved! I cant believe they just drove off though.

Where are you located? That garbage truck looks like the old fashioned kind where guys have to poor the cans into the back with their own hands. I didnt know they still made em like that.
Washington, DC (specifically, Capitol Hill). That is a private trash truck that picks up from apartments and restaurants I believe. Fortunately, they fixed my neighbor's car. The city picks up trash from residents here. I assume if a city trash truck hit my neighbor's car he would be out of luck.

fenderman

Staff member
Reaction score
I assume if a city trash truck hit my neighbor's car he would be out of luck.
the city would be just as responsible as any other operator, with the caveat that most if not all states have a provision requiring plaintiffs to file a notice of claim against public entities within 90 days of the incident...

cam235

Pulling my weight
Reaction score
Looks like a good argument for cameras, the damage would have been an unsolved mystery otherwise I guess.

CCTVCam

Known around here
Reaction score
Just interested, why was the 2nd camera zoomed in on the space next to your diagonal neighbours car when you live across the street?

Whatever the reason, your neighbour was lucky you had coverage.

Also interesting to see that the 2nd camera is much clearer than the 1st. Obviously the zoom and resulting pixel density count will help the Dahua compete with the 8mp sensor in the 1st but have to wonder given the clarity and not just detail, if the optics are far superior on the Dahua to the Lorex.

Reactions: RJF

bp2008

Staff member
Reaction score
Just interested, why was the 2nd camera zoomed in on the space next to your diagonal neighbours car when you live across the street?
That cam is labeled LPR. License plate recognition.

Also interesting to see that the 2nd camera is much clearer than the 1st. Obviously the zoom and resulting pixel density count will help the Dahua compete with the 8mp sensor in the 1st but have to wonder given the clarity and not just detail, if the optics are far superior on the Dahua to the Lorex.
Chances are the 8MP camera is not encoding at 4x the bit rate of the 2MP camera, so that will have an impact on quality too.

RJF

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
That cam is labeled LPR. License plate recognition.

Chances are the 8MP camera is not encoding at 4x the bit rate of the 2MP camera, so that will have an impact on quality too.
@bp2008 is right on both counts, obviously. I no longer use that camera as a license plate reader, although it worked really well when I did.

I got the Lorex 8MP before I joined this site and back when I thought that all that mattered was the number of pixels. The Dahua is far superior to the Lorex except perhaps in optimal lighting conditions where the Lorex does pretty well. (It sucks at night.) Still, as an all-around camera it doesn't come anywhere close to the Dahua.

I just got the Dahua 8MP HDW5830R-Z in the mail an hour ago and plan to do some comparison testing with the Dahua 2MP (Starlight) HDW5231-R-Z when I get a chance.

CCTVCam

Known around here
Reaction score
I just got the Dahua 8MP HDW5830R-Z in the mail an hour ago and plan to do some comparison testing with the Dahua 2MP (Starlight) HDW5231-R-Z when I get a chance.
Really looking forward to this as this seems to be the 1st Starvis 4K cam anyone has tested from what I can see.

Just out of interest, what do these cost?

CCTVCam

Known around here
Reaction score
Didn't realise it was non starlight. Guess no such a bargain after all.