gate sensors.

hmjgriffon

Known around here
Reaction score
I'd like to rig up sensors on the side gates that go to the back yard so I know if they are opened, any ideas for something out door I could do this with?

Tygunn

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
Ive been meaning to get something like this for integration with my SmartThings system. That looks like a good option hooked up to a zwave open close sensor with dry contacts.

Sent from my Pixel XL using Tapatalk

hmjgriffon

Known around here
Reaction score
As an eBay Associate IPCamTalk earns from qualifying purchases.

hmjgriffon

Known around here
Reaction score
Ive been meaning to get something like this for integration with my SmartThings system. That looks like a good option hooked up to a zwave open close sensor with dry contacts.

So would you just hook the two wires into the dry contacts of the zwave door sensor? Does this thing need power run to it?

nayr

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
mine are wired up to my cameras watching the gates

these dont require power or anything; its either an open or closed circuit.

Tygunn

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
So would you just hook the two wires into the dry contacts of the zwave door sensor? Does this thing need power run to it?
Yup it should work just fine.

hmjgriffon

Known around here
Reaction score
After some Google and help from nayr I understand better how these things work haha

Sent from my Nexus 6P using Tapatalk

hmjgriffon

Known around here
Reaction score
Uh, two wires. lol
Yes, but I didn't know if it matters which went where until I saw how it works on the inside, for instance I've got a PIR sensor to play with that has two terminals that say NC and it was confusing, all I can say is I'm a noob to this type of stuff.

randytsuch

Pulling my weight
Reaction score
Yes, but I didn't know if it matters which went where until I saw how it works on the inside, for instance I've got a PIR sensor to play with that has two terminals that say NC and it was confusing, all I can say is I'm a noob to this type of stuff.
Better to ask and be safe. In this case, it would be hard to break something, but you never know.
It sucks to connect something wrong and let out the "magic smoke".

hmjgriffon

Known around here
Reaction score
Better to ask and be safe. In this case, it would be hard to break something, but you never know.
It sucks to connect something wrong and let out the "magic smoke".
Exactly man, when we're talking about hooking stuff to $170-$500 each cameras I don't really want to risk frying one

tangent

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
for instance I've got a PIR sensor to play with that has two terminals that say NC and it was confusing, all I can say is I'm a noob to this type of stuff.
A PIR typically has a relay inside and often a set of both NC (normally closed) and NO (nomrally open) terminals

hmjgriffon

Known around here
Reaction score
A PIR typically has a relay inside and often a set of both NC (normally closed) and NO (nomrally open) terminals
Yeah, I'm learning more and more, I'm a computer guy but I'm becoming an electronics guy more and more lol

NoloC

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
Just pulling your chain. You IT guys can do stuff I can't imagine. I do get the switch thing though!

NoloC

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
As well you should be.

If you can't right click on it, they're lost.