gDMSS issue - unable to connect outside local network

Chocman

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
I reaching out (again) to the community hoping that some suggestions may help me fix my issue which is:

When using gDMSS outside my local network, it fails to connect.

Set up:
Cams into NVR - working perfectly, able to view via web-interface s and SMART PSS for playback
Samsung S10 - gDMSS installed working fine - I can stream footage but only when on the same network, not remotely
P2P Enabled on NVR

I know this topic has been covered many times on various forums, and I've read most if not all of them.

I've tried deleting the App, reinstalling etc, doing the QR scanning many times, but still unable to to stream other than when on the same local network.

It'll be some setting that I haven't checked or detals inputted!

As always, many thanks for your help.

Securame

Pulling my weight
Reaction score
Is your NVR running the official Dahua firmware?

Many OEMs use their own P2P servers/network. If that is the case, when you try to connect with P2P from inside the network, it will work fine, but as soon as you are outside the network it does not connect.

If that is the case; you have to either get the official firmware, flash it, restore the unit to defaults, and configure again. Or just use the OEM app that will use the OEM P2P servers, because Dahua DMSS witll only work with their P2P servers.

(If official DMSS does not work with P2P from outside your network, official SmartPSS with P2P also will not work)

Chocman

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
As far as I know the NVR is running official Dahua firmware - I haven't changed it from when purchased from @EMPIRETECANDY (who was great) - I wouldn't know how to do this as I'm not tech-savvy enough in this area.

I'll be honest, I don't have a clue what DMSS setting should be used and how and what it even means. :D About 1 year ago, when I first set the whole system up, I did manage to view remotely via gDMSS, but since then I've restored the NVR to defaults, so whatever I did right then (by luck rather than skill), now doesn't work. I'm a complete newbie.

If anyone could send me a screen shot of DMSS (without sensitive details), much appreciated so I can start the long haul of trying to work out what DMSS setting I need to use...assuming this is were I'm going wrong??

Securame

Pulling my weight
Reaction score
Then you just need to add the device on DMSS with serial number, user, and password.

If it works inside your lan, but it doesn't work outside your lan, DMSS and your NVR are using different P2P servers. You have to ask the seller what app you are supposed to use, since it will probably be a customized app with a customized P2P server.

Chocman

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
The only way I can view live stream using the app is to add device (the NVR) using add [via] IP/Domain. If I try adding the NVR using SN/Scan, then scan the QR code, add device name [NVR] then user name [admin], then password etc, it fails to connect. But this method of adding device only allows me to use the app when I'm on my LAN. I guess I'm going to have to admit defeat using gDMSS remotely, which is a shame.

Chocman

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
Just a second...I've reread you previous comment (several times).

What do you mean by "different P2P servers"? I haven't set up any P2P server as I didnt know this was needed. Please remember I'm not a techie and very inexperienced in this area.

Securame

Pulling my weight
Reaction score
If you are connecting by IP, of course you can only connect from inside the network. And you were never able to connect from outside the network, not even before reseting the NVR to default values.

If you want to connect from outside the network, either use P2P, or you will need a DDNS+open ports on your router, or a VPN.

You can not "set" a different P2P server; it comes hardcoded on the firmware.

If the NVR has P2P active and it shows it as being online, you just need to use the correct app to connect with P2P.

aabs

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
First things first,
What message are you getting on gDMSS ?
If its failed to connect can you see your device (NVR) but no footage ?
There are many reasons for connectivity issues

Chocman

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
Thanks for your patience and help @Securame , I do appreciate it. I think I'm starting to understand things better......

"If you are connecting by IP, of course you can only connect from inside the network " - I didn't know that, I had no idea at all that this is how things worked, sorry.

So, assuming I don't want to go down the VPN route and I certainly don't want to open ports on my router, in really simple terms (that a novice like me can understand), do I need to take out a subscribtion for a P2P service? I don't mind doing this, I just didn't realise it was needed! You gotta remember mate, that I know zero about home security systems and how to view remotely :rolleyes:

aabs

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
I think your getting even more confused
No need for a VPN with gDMSS
Scan the QR when enabled and let us know the message you get when on WAN
Then we can help

Securame

Pulling my weight
Reaction score
You do not need any subscription. Just enable P2P on the NVR, make sure the NVR is connected to the P2P network, and use the app you are supposed to use (DMSS, or whatever app, depending on the NVR firmware).

Chocman

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
@aabs I agree!

I'll go back the absolute basics to clarify my set up and the issue so hopefully this will shed some light on where I'm going wrong in the set up to view live footage via gDMSS:

Simple Home set-up - cams connected directly to NVR and all work fine.
NVR/Cam Web-interfaces (via Pale Moon) - no problems here and I can access these without any issues
SmartPSS - installed and working as it should - I can live stream and playback
gDMSS Plus installed on Android phone - been installed, deleted and re-installed several times

NVR - connected to router via ethernet cable, IP 192.168.1.108 , default gateway 192.168.1.1, TCP port 37777, UDP port 37778, HTTP port 80, HTTPS port 443, RTSP port 554, POS port 38800,
P2P enabled and it shows two QR codes 'Cellphone client and SN'...see below
All other setting on NVR disabled (apart from P2P) which of course is enabled

gDMSS app - in device manager using SN/Scan - scan SN QR code >next > add [device name, user name and password]> save> please wait>connection failed

Securame

Pulling my weight
Reaction score
That is the default network config on Dahua's devices. It should work OK if your router is 192.168.1.1 and if it acts as a DNS server. To make sure, change the network config from fixed IP to DHCP.

I think you said that P2P was enabled on the NVR and connected. Where do you see this? Post an image.

aabs

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
Okay im logged into a NVR same as yours.
See image ive uploaded. Enable should be checked and what does your status shows on this page. Online or Offline ?
Can you also confirm if your NVR is on DHCP or static IP addressCapture.JPG

aabs

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score

Straight forward UK help video that is not full of nonsence that you get some other videos over complicating matters.

Some video go into DDNS & VPN but you can explore that later when you understand more and want to improve security