Geovision like replacement

Angel Hos

n3wb
Reaction score
I am looking for a geovision like pc nvr replacement. This is due to the fact that I am tired of dealing with the dongles that just don't last or goof up with the slightest issue. I want something that has the remote viewing features of geovsion like picking cameras from different nvrs and viewing them on one screen. Also want something that doesn't require a separate external dongle just to use third party cameras. Is there any thing out there like that that doesn't cost an arm and a leg?

LittleScoobyMaster

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
I had used Geovision for over 10 years until I couldn't put up with the never ending dongle license requirements and horrible Geo software any longer. Started with a GV-650 capture card (back in the day it was on the ISA bus I believe and they kept reviving the same card with new busses every couple years - (GeoVision Inc. GV-650B Video Capture Card) and moved up to the full IP version which didn't require a card, just the dongle. During the last upgrade I decided to try some other solutions. I ended up going with Milestone Xprotect Essential because I only have 8 cameras that I rely on. It's currently free so you can try it out and it seems to be a great replacement for Geovision. There are a couple things that Geo still does better (things like GPU decoding with discrete Nvidia cards), but Xprotect Essential surpasses Geo in almost every other way and they even added some Nvidia discrete decoding capabilities recently as well. If you try the free Essential and you don't like it, then you may want to give something like Blue Iris a try. Essential is free for 8 cams but it goes up substantially if you have more than 8 but still close to Geo pricing. I wish Essential could do 9 though because I have 1 extra camera not on the Essential system due to the way licensing goes after 8. (They used to have it so that once you go over the 8 free, you than have to purchase a full 8 pack which brings you to 16).

With Essential or Blue Iris, you can run them on any available free PC that you might have lying around the house as long as the CPU is decent. Intel HD graphics is a plus if it's built in to the MB.

XProtect® Essential | Milestone Systems

Blue Iris - Video Security Software

Last edited: