Get stream of a portion of camera

andre__x

n3wb
Reaction score
Hi!
I have a camera that point to the gate and I would like to have a video of this camera on a screen in the warehouse when someone ring the bell.
The automation is ok, I just need the URL to get the video of the specified camera, but just with a portion of the whole video since the camera is a wide-angle and I need to zoom in on a particular area (but leaving the full image in Blue Iris for recording).
Another thing: is it possible to use authentication directly in the URL?
Thanks!!!

DavidR1

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
I have a camera that point to the gate and I would like to have a video of this camera on a screen in the warehouse when someone ring the bell.
The automation is ok, I just need the URL to get the video of the specified camera, but just with a portion of the whole video since the camera is a wide-angle and I need to zoom in on a particular area (but leaving the full image in Blue Iris for recording).
In the past, I’d used omxplayer to do something similar, displaying a portion of a stream on a raspberry pi. I haven’t had a reason to do this with Blue Iris yet, but I believe you should be able to use the “Area Of Interest” feature to get just the area you want. Since you want to leave the full stream for BI to record, you probably want to clone the camera to set up this cropped feed.

andre__x

n3wb
Reaction score
David, thanks for the idea.
I've tried to use the area of interest but it just take the wrong area. I've selected an area, but it just zoom (the size of the selection) but in the center... :|
And any way to use the authentication within the url?
Thanks!

DavidR1

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
David, thanks for the idea.
I've tried to use the area of interest but it just take the wrong area. I've selected an area, but it just zoom (the size of the selection) but in the center... :|
Interesting - I’ll go give it a try to see if I get the same results. When I was initially poking around at various BI features, it seemed to work as expected but as I mentioned, I’m not currently using the feature; it’s possible that something’s been broken along the way.

Edit: I just tested it and it seems to work as expected here. I cloned an existing camera, checked the box for AoI, clicked Edit, and selected the area I wanted as a subset of the stream. Now, I have a new camera feed in BI that only shows that small area. I can pull it up in a browser using the url
http://[BlueIrisIP:port]/mjpg/[cloned_cam_short_name]/video.mjpg which gives me the cropped view of the main camera.

For what it's worth, this was tested on a system running 5.0.5.8.

What version of BI are you using?

And any way to use the authentication within the url?
There was a thread on this a while back that might be of use: Embed credentials on Blue Iris Web Server URL

Last edited:

bp2008

Staff member
Reaction score
Personally I prefer to keep enabled "Use secure session keys and login page", which prevents Blue Iris from using credentials embedded into URLs. You can easily work around this by putting an IP address in the "Limit IP addresses" box, prefixed by ^ so that every time that IP address connects to Blue Iris's web server, it automatically gets an administrator session.

e.g.
^192.168.0.1

andre__x

n3wb
Reaction score
Interesting - I’ll go give it a try to see if I get the same results. When I was initially poking around at various BI features, it seemed to work as expected but as I mentioned, I’m not currently using the feature; it’s possible that something’s been broken along the way.

Edit: I just tested it and it seems to work as expected here. I cloned an existing camera, checked the box for AoI, clicked Edit, and selected the area I wanted as a subset of the stream. Now, I have a new camera feed in BI that only shows that small area. I can pull it up in a browser using the url
http://[BlueIrisIP:port]/mjpg/[cloned_cam_short_name]/video.mjpg which gives me the cropped view of the main camera.

For what it's worth, this was tested on a system running 5.0.5.8.

What version of BI are you using?
I'm using 5.0.5.8 too...

There was a thread on this a while back that might be of use: Embed credentials on Blue Iris Web Server URL
Got it, thanks!

Personally I prefer to keep enabled "Use secure session keys and login page", which prevents Blue Iris from using credentials embedded into URLs. You can easily work around this by putting an IP address in the "Limit IP addresses" box, prefixed by ^ so that every time that IP address connects to Blue Iris's web server, it automatically gets an administrator session.
I would prefer to keep enabled the "Use secure session keys and login page", but using your suggestion would grant administrator right to that IP, which I really wouldn't.
By the way, thanks for this suggestion!