Getting into this whole ip camera and nvr/bi thing, advice please!

mahman

n3wb
Reaction score
Hey everyone! I've been wanting to get some security cameras for the house for awhile now, and finally really starting to dig in and do some research. From everything I've read, seems like people love the Hikvisions and order from AliExpress. For some reason, I just can't get myself to purchase from AE, so I was looking into the nellyssecurity website which I've read they just use rebranded Hikvisions? I was thinking of just starting with a camera on the front door (lot of Amazon deliveries) and then building out from there to back porch, above garage, and one indoor one. Could I get some opinions/recommendations on the cameras linked below?

Cameras:

NVR/Blue Iris PC:
I have a i5-750 from my previous PC sitting in its box (along with mobo/16gb ram). Would that be powerful enough to use with the cameras? I'd have to get a new case, psu, and hdd, and a POE switch. So the cost upfront would be more, but seems like a lot of people are preferring using BI over a regular NVR?

Appreciate any help/advice/opinions! Thanks!

fenderman

Staff member
Reaction score
The 750 is a power hog and not very powerful by today's standards it also does not support quick sync it's blue iris uses for Hardware acceleration you can buy an i5 6500 system for about $300 I will be much more powerful and energy-efficient and you will make your money back within two years. Look at the two megapixel cameras as they are better in low-light

mahman

n3wb
Reaction score
The 750 is a power hog and not very powerful by today's standards it also does not support quick sync it's blue iris uses for Hardware acceleration you can buy an i5 6500 system for about $300 I will be much more powerful and energy-efficient and you will make your money back within two years. Look at the two megapixel cameras as they are better in low-light
wow quick reply! thanks for the info! Hmm.. if I have to buy a new chip, maybe I'll just stick with the NVR I listed for now and think about building a better PC for BI later. New HVAC/car/roof in one year makes me have to budget my "fun" purchases now with the wife, ha :\ Since the main reason I want it for right now would be for Amazon deliveries, I think I can survive with just the NVR.

Thanks for the tip on the 2MP ones, I'll stick with those over the 4MP ones then. Also, since I was thinking about doing a turret above the garage, would it just make sense to use that same turret for front door and back porch? Or would the bullet style be better?

fenderman

Staff member
Reaction score
wow quick reply! thanks for the info! Hmm.. if I have to buy a new chip, maybe I'll just stick with the NVR I listed for now and think about building a better PC for BI later. New HVAC/car/roof in one year makes me have to budget my "fun" purchases now with the wife, ha :\ Since the main reason I want it for right now would be for Amazon deliveries, I think I can survive with just the NVR.

Thanks for the tip on the 2MP ones, I'll stick with those over the 4MP ones then. Also, since I was thinking about doing a turret above the garage, would it just make sense to use that same turret for front door and back porch? Or would the bullet style be better?
The cost is virtually the same....You cam buy an entire i5-6500 PC for 300 dollars with full 3 year next business day warranty and it will be far more flexible than a standalone nvr. Building is not cost effective. If all you care about is amazon deliveries you dont need an nvr..just by a camera like the dahua starlight turret with an SD card slot.