Getting Plate Recognizer to work with Blue Iris

Reaction score
I can't seem to get Plate Recognizer to run with Blue Iris 5.5. Plate Recognizer still shows 0 API calls and nothing on the dashboard.

This is what I did the set it up:

• Settings -> AI -> Plate Recognizer -> "Enabled" (checked), and "Cloud API with Token" selected with my API key entered
  • Camera Settings -> Trigger -> Artificial Intelligence -> "Plate Recognizer for ALPR" (checked).
Is there anything else I need to do just to get it running? It doesn't seem to be sending any images to Plate Recognizer yet.

wittaj

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
Do you have motion detection selected for the camera and is it triggering alerts?

You will find it is tricky to get the motion zones correct so that it is sending an image to Plate Recognizer with the plate in the picture, but it can be done, but first we need to get your camera to trigger.

Reaction score
When there is motion, it triggers it to record video, and that is working (videos get recorded when cars drive by). I'm not currently using "alerts", just triggering.

Reaction score
Ok, I enabled alerts for the camera, and now it's sending images. Ok, apparently the plate recognition is tied to the alerts feature. It's weird then that the settings for it are on the "Trigger" page in the camera settings. Ok, I'll keep on working with it.

Reaction score
What does the setting "only for confirmed vehicle alerts" do?

I sure do with this stuff was better documented. That option and many other settings don't even appear in the Blue Iris documentation at all. :confused:

wittaj

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
What does the setting "only for confirmed vehicle alerts" do?

I sure do with this stuff was better documented. That option and many other settings don't even appear in the Blue Iris documentation at all. :confused:
The only for confirmed vehicle alerts is if you are using DeepStack to identify a car so that you don't have it sending pictures to Plate Recognizer of a person or sun coming in and out of the clouds. i was playing with this feature just today and I have found that feature to be spotty so I would rather send some pics that aren't cars than missing clearly a car. Here are 5 cars that sent without using Deepstack (had a clone camera going for testing), but it only sent one using DeepStack and confirmined for vehicle alerts. YMMV.

1632779594746.png

wittaj

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
So you would have to run simple motion detection for the camera in this scenario, but even then that can be tricky, so you need to run Blue Iris motion detection instead of camera IVS.

I found this to be the setup that worked best for me. This one zone approach at this location allowed me to catch the front plate of the cars going right to left and the back plate of the cars going left to right. Occasionally I would get a large truck or a very fast vehicle that was missed, but I also run this continuous motion in the event that happens or it missed the motion. And then at night I simply make the object size box a lot smaller like the size of the plate. As you can see from the alert clips to the left that it captures all the cars in the middle of the frame. My nighttime is the same as well. If you are running a 1/2000 shutter then it should take out a lot of the headlight bounce that would come from the street and cause it to trigger early.

If you are only interested in the back plate, then make another zone that is to the left of this and tell it to only trigger for motion from the zones going left to right.

1632795852923.png

Post your settings for day and night and the zones you have and we can help you out.

But it does take some trial and error to get this down.

Flintstone61

Known around here
Reaction score
There are rumblings of an internet connection coming for the Condo Association. Initially for a Key Fob system, but I told the Prop Mgmt Co, that we've had 3 catalytic converters cut off, and that off site monitoring might help me see what going on. would like to do something with LPR eventually....also I could put a camera on the Boiler gauges and Pipe that into my phone or home PC. Wouldn't that be cool.

wittaj

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
Dang you would think one of the condo owners would allow you to tap into their internet for that service!

Flintstone61

Known around here
Reaction score
Selfish smallminded Curmudgeons they are. Not a one of them is smart enough In Geekdom to understand what I'd be proposing. Share? who me? No Way!