Getting video from BI to Chromebook.

kirbymurphy

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
I have an unused Chromebook and a 19" monitor that I would like to place in my living room, just to monitor one camera out of 3.
If not BI, maybe an Opensource program I could run on the CB ?

I've searched and and found a few references to Chromebook but it's all fragmented (for me)?

Would someone point me to instructions or a tutorial on how to do it?
TIA

TonyR

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
Setup a user with password in BI.
Get the Chromebook onto the same LAN as the BI server.
Open BI's built-in web server called "UI3" by opening a browser (Chrome?) on the Chromebook to http://BI-server-IP:BI-port/ui3.htm (sub your BI server's IP and port).
When prompted, enter the user/pass.
If that's working, come back and we can fine tune which cams and/or group that user can see.
We can also create a shortcut on the desktop to open that URL up, including the username and password, so you don't have to enter it each time.

Last edited:

jack7

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
Another option may be to install TinyCam Monitor app from Google Play Store on Chromebook.

kirbymurphy

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
Setup a user with password in BI.
Get the Chromebook onto the same LAN as the BI server.
Open BI's built-in web server called "UI3" by opening a browser (Chrome?) on the Chromebook to http://BI-server-IP:BI-port/ui3.htm (sub your BI server's IP and port).
When prompted, enter the user/pass.
If that's working, come back and we can fine tune which cams and/or group that user can see.
We can also create a shortcut on the desktop to open that URL up, including the username and password, so you don't have to enter it each time.
Thanks, I'll give this a try

kirbymurphy

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
Another option may be to install TinyCam Monitor app from Google Play Store on Chromebook.
Thanks. Just tried on my phone and it works well. Wonder if they have it for PC since I found an old laptop with a larger screen than the Chromebook.

TonyR

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
Thanks. Just tried on my phone and it works well. Wonder if they have it for PC since I found an old laptop with a larger screen than the Chromebook.
It's Android only but it too has a built-in web server.
What about the 19" monitor?

EDIT: 1319 CT; Did you try BI's UI3?

Last edited:

kirbymurphy

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
The Chromebook has a small screen but an HDMI output so I would use the 19" monitor with it. The old PC is only a 15". The screen will be about 10' away so the bigger the better.

jack7

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
Apparently you are not able to use BI UI3.

Here's how to install an android app like Tinycam on Chromebook.

On your Windows laptop, I suggest using the Window program available here.
It works well to display a camera, as does the android app there called Onvier.

kirbymurphy

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
Tried to install IP Camera Viewer and got the message "It will be installed on your device soon".
It never gets installed. Never saw that before. I think I'm out of updates as in my CB is too old.

Didn't pay attention on Amazon and found it's a model that's new. but several years old. That explains the good price. :)

Will try the PC approach soon, but have too many projects going now.
Thanks.

Last edited:

kirbymurphy

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
I will but I'm in the process of relocating my edit PC to another room, adding fiber, changing routers and making so many changes to where it was.
Thanks

kirbymurphy

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
Again...
Have you tried UI3?
No app, etc. needed...just a browser (Chromium-based preferred) and a network connection to the BI server. :cool:
Tony, thanks so much. As complicated BI is (to me) I was hesitant to try it. But I soon tired of lugging my old setup and getting it all hooked decided to give it a go. It was rather easy with your concise
but accurate info.
At first it wouldn't accept my newly created PW. I tried the Admin account and got right in. Then I tried the new one again and it opened right up. Now I need to find out if I can lose the side panel with the clips and just display the cameras.
Thanks again!

TonyR

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
Tony, thanks so much. As complicated BI is (to me) I was hesitant to try it. But I soon tired of lugging my old setup and getting it all hooked decided to give it a go. It was rather easy with your concise
but accurate info.
At first it wouldn't accept my newly created PW. I tried the Admin account and got right in. Then I tried the new one again and it opened right up. Now I need to find out if I can lose the side panel with the clips and just display the cameras.
Thanks again!
You can open UI3 "maximized" with the following URL's, the second one includes your login's "username" and "password". Just assign the desired cams to a "group" and put that group's name where the URL says "groupname.":

Code:
http://BI-Server-IP:BI-Server-Port/ui3.htm?group=groupname&maximize=1
http://BI-Server-IP:BI-Server-Port/ui3.htm?group=groupname&maximize=1&user=username&pw=password

Last edited: