Ghosting effect in recorded clips - Only during motion

yogi_en

n3wb
Reaction score
Hello,

I have setup a new Blue Iris system with Amcrest IP2M-841EW and Reolink Cameras. With Amcrest camera I see ghosting artifact in the recorded clips. The issue is seen in only when there is motion. The record is done using 'direct to disc' ( no transcoding ) method. There is no issue in the live video during motion. Issue is seen only in the recorded clips. I don't see the issue in reolink cameras. CPU load is around 20 to 30%. PC uses Intel 5 with QuickSync ( custom made few years ago )

I did some googling and did couple of things.

1. Fps set as I-Frame interval ( both 30 as of now )
2. Receive buffer increased to 20MB.

I believe things are improved now, but still I see ghosting during motion in the recorded clips. Any help is appreciated. I have setup the Blue iris to record only during motion.

yogi_en

n3wb
Reaction score
Can you please provide more details?. Which video driver I should change?.

Walrus

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
The intel video driver for your GPU. Try updating it, or rolling it back to an older driver.
What exact CPU do you have?

SouthernYankee

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
please go to the blue bar at the top and the page, read about memory leaks and drivers. in the wiki.

Make sure the cameras data is not passing thru the router.

Turn off the reolink, and see if the problem disappears, they can effect other cameras.
Turn off hardware acceleration and test it.

Provide a screen shot of the cameras configuration screen from the camera.

yogi_en

n3wb
Reaction score
What exact CPU do you have?
Intel i5 6480. Will update the driver and check. However I am using direct to disc write. Hence not sure Intel driver matters here. I assume Blue Iris is going to write the data directly to the disc. Or is the driver used for playback the H.264 high profile stream?. I am using UI3 for viewing the content a different laptop.

Make sure the cameras data is not passing thru the router.
Not sure how to ensure this. The camera is connected to a Ubiquiti POE switch. I have Ubiquiti setup in home.

I have attached two screen shots of the camera configuration. Please check and let me know.

I will try the rest.

Attachments

Last edited:

Walrus

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
Intel i5 6480. Will update the driver and check. However I am using direct to disc write. Hence not sure Intel driver matters here. I assume Blue Iris is going to write the data directly to the disc. Or is the driver used for playback the H.264 high profile stream?. I am using UI3 for viewing the content a different laptop.
That processor doesn't exist.

Yes it matters, Blue Iris decodes the stream, then writes it direct to disk.

yogi_en

n3wb
Reaction score
Typo : It is Intel I5 6400

OK. So I believe, if direct to disc is not enabled, Blue Iris decodes ( done by Intel HW) the stream, does video processing for motion detection and then again encodes ( done by Intel HW?) into H.264 before writing into the disk. Correct? I believe Intel quick sync can do both decoding and encoding of stream. Not sure why disabling direct to disc increases the CPU usage then?

Walrus

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
If you disable direct to disk, then it has to both decode, then re-encode.

I have an i5-6600. Same GPU (HD 530). The newest drivers past 2016 cause ghosting. I've tried them all. I'm running 20.19.15.4463 from 5/25/2016. It's all that works for me. Any newer driver causes ghosting, or breaks hardware acceleration.

The only way to get that old driver, is to go to device manager, and uninstall the display adapter. Upon reboot, an old one that works perfectly fine should be installed. Then prevent updates of the driver, it's spelled out in the wiki.

upload_2019-10-10_19-21-34.png

Last edited:

Walrus

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
I'll maybe try this new driver when I have time.

Make sure hardware acceleration is still working, by looking in task manager.

Last edited:

SouthernYankee

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
You have a watermark set, I believe that if you have a watermark or a BI time on the video then the feed need to be decoded then reencoded after the data is set in the frame

Walrus

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
? That watermark setting you are seeing is in the camera, not Blue Iris.

If you have Blue Iris creating an overlay (text & graphics overlays enabled) but recording direct to disk, the overlay will appear in the live feed, but won't be on the recorded clip.

yogi_en

n3wb
Reaction score
I have removed the watermark setting in the camera now. I also have disabled all the graphics overlay ( date and time ) in the camera.

I have configured Blue Iris to add the overlay ( date and time ) into the video. I can see the dates and time in the recorded video. Does it require any additional CPU for decode/encode if overlay enabled? Should I enable the date overlay in the camera and disable it in Blue Iris?

How do I ensure the HW acceleration is working?. CPU load alone is enough?

SouthernYankee

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
you do not need to disable the time date in the camera. You just do not need to added it in in BI.

It is my understanding that adding the date time to the stored video in BI takes CPU time, and requires Decode encode. There is a way to add the datatime when the video is displayed in bI. But the legal experts in the forum indicate that this is not good as it will not hold up in a legal action in court.

I do not run windows 10, but the task manager in widows 10 should display GPU

yogi_en

n3wb
Reaction score
OK. Disable Overlay oin Blue Iris and enabled it in Camera. I do see a reduction in CPU usage. 10 to 13% for two camera ( 1080p, 30fps ). All is fine now. Thanks.