Ghosting with Blue Iris

leonbrag

n3wb
Reaction score
Hi,
My 4pm/3pm Hikvision cameras produce ghosting when recorded by Blue Iris.

I tried Milestone and Sighthound - no ghosting. So it's appears BI specific issue.

CPU utilization around 63%. Core i5. Direct to disk is enabled.

All cameras run the latest software

thanks

fenderman

Staff member
Reaction score
Hi,
My 4pm/3pm Hikvision cameras produce ghosting when recorded by Blue Iris.

I tried Milestone and Sighthound - no ghosting. So it's appears BI specific issue.

CPU utilization around 63%. Core i5. Direct to disk is enabled.

All cameras run the latest software

thanks
You need to match the cameras iframe interval to the fps...in the camera settings..there are many threads that discuss exactly what you have to do to resolve this problem..

leonbrag

n3wb
Reaction score
Thank you. It's already matched. 20 fps in camera setting and BI settings.
Tried all other suggestions: increased buffer, turned GPU acceleration on/off.

No effect

I also just installed and tested Sighthound again with exactly the same cameras setup. Videos are silky smooth.

Last edited:

fenderman

Staff member
Reaction score
Thank you. It's already matched. 20 fps in camera setting and BI settings.
Tried all other suggestions: increased buffer, turned GPU acceleration on/off.

No effect
are you running the demo?
try manually raising the fps setting in blue iris, its supposed to auto adjust, but some have reported having to manually raise it to avoid ghosting...post a video of what you are seeing...

leonbrag

n3wb
Reaction score
Yes, demo. Unless I can resolve ghosting BI will be a no-go. Tried 30 fps. Did not help.
Will try lower DNR on camera.
And will post video.

But why is this BI only issue?

fenderman

Staff member
Reaction score
Yes, demo. Unless I can resolve ghosting BI will be a no-go. Tried 30 fps. Did not help.
Will try lower DNR on camera.
And will post video.

But why is this BI only issue?
Its the way blue iris processes the incoming video, the stream needs to be setup properly...try one camera at a time it could be the high cpu usage in the demo, the demo does not support direct to disk...we know this is not an issue if properly setup because there are thousands of users here with hikvision cameras and blue iris...if you are not willing to buy it, good luck with milestone or sighthound, they both lack many of the features in blue iris and cost much more...you can also email support and see what he says..
If you ghosting looks like a video trail then its the DNR and not blue iris..if you are seeing pixelation then its likely blue iris..

leonbrag

n3wb
Reaction score
Ok, followed your advice. Disabled all cameras, left single camera on with default DNR set to 50. Ghosting is gone.
So, this seems to rule out an issue with frame rate, iframe or DNR.

Now, since demo does not support Direct to Disk, how do I know that all 7 cameras will actually work? I guess it's a gamle, pay for BI and see it works with Direct to Disk?

fenderman

Staff member
Reaction score
Ok, followed your advice. Disabled all cameras, left single camera on with default DNR set to 50. Ghosting is gone.
So, this seems to rule out an issue with frame rate, iframe or DNR.

Now, since demo does not support Direct to Disk, how do I know that all 7 cameras will actually work? I guess it's a gamle, pay for BI and see it works with Direct to Disk?
it will work..if your usage was 63 in demo..then with direct to disk and hardware acceleration (if you cpu supports it, it will be 30-40)...60 bux is a drop in the bucket in the scope of vms software...