Gigabit required?

Discussion in 'Networking' started by chester40391, Aug 21, 2019.

Share This Page

1. chester40391

chester40391 n3wb

Hello all. New here and researching an NVR system. I have had just a handful of coax CCTV cameras on an old DVR and the quality is just not good. I am rural with little internet/cap so cloud servicing is not an option and besides I absolutely dont support paying for cloud services when they are not necessary and can be done at home. I also want to add a couple of wireless cameras.

I have landed with BI versus hardware NVR as I am one who would actually take advantage of the additional capabilities like connecting to automation/IFTTT and different settings based on day/night. I'm certain more once I explore what I can do with it. I plan to put BI on a dedicated machine. I will probably have about 6 cameras initially and grow to around 20 cameras over 2 years.

I read the wiki and will likely take the suggestion of buying used hardware for now (I7 quad core) but may have to revisit something like I9 when I have more cameras. As far as cameras go I need to read more but I already saw note that 2mp may be the way to go to get decent nighttime coverage.

Q. What I didnt see clearly noted in the wiki is local network bandwidth requirements. I currently have cisco 10/100 gear. Is gigabit needed? I plan to create a new network segment for the camera gear.

FUQ. For wifi cameras I am assuming for now that in order to get what I am looking for in the particular camera (quality/focus) I will use a standard IP cam and add an AP. Should I be concerned with needing to do a PTP if I already have an external wifi AP covering the area?

FUQ2. The locations I want to use wifi cameras will not have line power. The primary location will be at the gate which is already served by solar with deep cycle battery. I will probably need to upgrade the solar panel and/or add an additional battery. I guess my question is if anyone has related experience/guidance regarding operating camera+AP with solar?

I researched before asking my primary question here regarding the LAN requirements but havent done research yet on my FUQ's

Thanks!

2. samplenhold

samplenhold Getting the hang of it

Welcome to the forum.

As far as the BI computer, I would not worry about getting an i9. I currently have an i7-8700 and run 18 cameras (17 2MP and one 4MP), recording 24/7, 15fps and the machine is not even 20% utilized even when I view from offsite.

If you have a dedicated BI computer, get a good POE switch to run your cameras through to the BI computer. All current switches are at least gig switches. Run this switch and the BI computer as a different subnet and isolated from your LAN. In this configuration, your current LAN 10/100 gear will not impact the camera subnet. I have no experience in 10/100 gear, so I don not know if these cameras would saturate your current network.

Most people here will recommend you stay away from WIFI. It is unreliable for IP cameras. If you really can't run buried ethernet cable, then I guess you will be stuck with that. Dahua has a few WIFI cameras. You would just need power and an AP on the same subnet as your BI computer. I am assuming that your current AP has access to the internet, so that would not be a good choice for connecting your WIFI cameras. They really need to be isolated from the internet.

Good luck.

chester40391 likes this.
  3. chester40391

chester40391 n3wb

Thank you. I will avoid WiFi whenever I can but for those I do use they will be on a separate SSID on the same vlan as the ethernet cameras with no access to the internet.

SouthernYankee likes this.
  4. SouthernYankee

SouthernYankee IPCT Contributor

:welcome:
    -----------------------------
    Use a different SSID and a Different channel for your Wifi cameras. I recommend against WIFI, if you canrun power to the camera you can run a POE Ethernet cable.

I believe there has been posts about using battery for a 12 volt wifi camera before.
    -----------------------------

My standard welcome to the forum message.

Please read the cliff notes and other items in the wiki. The wiki is in the blue bar at the top of the page.

Read How to Secure Your Network (Don't Get Hacked!) | IP Cam Talk in the wiki also.

Quick start
    1) Use Dahua starlight cameras or Hikvision darkfighter cameras or ICPT Night eye cameras (https://store.ipcamtalk.com/) if you need good low light cameras.
    2) use a VPN to access home network (openVPN)
    3) Do not use wifi cameras.
    4) Do not use cloud storage
    5) Do Not use uPNP, P2P, QR, do not open ports,
    6) More megapixel is not necessarily better.
    7) Avoid chinese hacked cameras (most ebay, amazon, aliexpress cameras(not all, but most))
    8) Do not use reolink, ring, nest cameras (they are junk)
    9) If possible use a turret camera , bullet collect spiders, dome collect dirt and reflect light (IR)
    10) Use only solid copper, AWG 23 or 24 ethernet wire. , no CCA (Copper Clad Aluminum)
    11) use a test mount to verify the camera mount location. My test rig: rev.2
    12) (Looney2ns)If you want to be able to ID faces, don't mount cams higher than 8ft. You want to know who did it, not just what happened.
    13) Use a router that has openVPN built in (Most ASUS, Some NetGear....)

Cameras to look at
    IPC-HDW2231R-ZS Review-Dahua IPC-HDW2231RP-ZS Starlight Camera-Varifocal
    IPC-HDW5231-ZE Review-Dahua Starlight IPC-HDW5231R-ZE 800 meter capable ePOE
    IPC-HFW4239T-ASE IPC-HFW4239T-ASE
    IPC-T5442TM-AS Review IPC-T5442TM-AS-LED (Full Color, Starlight+)
    IPCT-HDW5431RE-I Review - IP Cam Talk 4 MP IR Fixed Turret Network Camera
    DS-2CD2325FWD-I

My preferred indoor cameras
    DS-2CD2442FWD-IW
    IPC-K35A https://ipcamtalk.com/threads/review-dahua-ipc-k35a-3mp-cube-camera.37581/#post-373517

Read,study,plan before spending money ..... plan plan plan
    Test do not guess

chester40391 likes this.
  5. chester40391

chester40391 n3wb

Thanks for that info SY. Very useful

6. mat200

mat200 IPCT Contributor

Hi @chester40391

Check the specs on the cameras you plan to use and see the bandwidth listed in the specs. I typically use the highest number when calculating how much bandwidth I need on a LAN.

If you already have a 10/100 POE switch - that would be a good starting point. You can buy a test camera to play with before buying more cameras and start to play with it and see what sort of bandwidth it uses under the settings you are using.

7. bp2008

bp2008 Staff Member

You don't need every part of your camera network to be gigabit. For example, one possible if unlikely network layout would be for you to buy several 4 or 8 port PoE switches that are only 100 Mbps, and feed them all into a small gigabit switch which will aggregate all the streams on a gigabit connection to your Blue Iris server. As another example, I have a 24 port PoE switch in my garage, with most of my cameras hooked up to it. The 24 PoE ports are only 10/100 capable, however it has 4 gigabit uplink ports and I am currently pulling ~225 Mbps out of one of them as it is carrying two copies of many of the video streams to my two separate Blue Iris servers. There was absolutely no need to spend more on a large PoE switch that had gigabit PoE ports, when each camera on its own would never be close to 100 Mbps of throughput. I just needed the connections carrying many streams together to be fast enough to handle that.

If you want to try your luck with old used equipment, you can get some pretty sweet deals on used PoE switches. Cisco WS-C2960-24PC-L 24 Port POE Switch Dual Gigabit Uplinks 15.0t ios Tested 882658169328 | eBay (note that such large PoE switches tend to be noisy due to small high-RPM fans --- and buying used equipment, the fans may be near the end of their life).

c hris527 and SouthernYankee like this.
  8. chester40391

chester40391 n3wb

I decided on a 48 port POE 10/100 switch with 4 1 gig uplinks. I will use 1 uplink for BI server, 1 for my existing switch (dont worry I'm going to use vlans to block cams from the internet) the remaining 2 uplinks I will use for PTP wireless links. 1 existing that is currently on a 10/100 port and one for future planned application.

Sent from my SM-N960U using Tapatalk