GMAIL Failure? Anyone Else?

progear

n3wb
Reaction score
After several months, out of the blue two of my cameras (using a paid GMAIL account) stopped sending alerts or test alerts? Switched over to a different email server (non GMAIL) and the cameras work fine. Tried using the GMAIL on the other cameras and the same problem? The GMAIL accounts have been set up for lesser 3rd party apps, etc., but this one is strange. Checked my router, called Comcast, spoke with google and still the same.

I really feel this is something with google? Anyone else run into this brick wall? Any ideas?

Thx.

horseflesh

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
This happened to someone l know. It was some kind of automatic account security feature kicking in. He fixed it by simply logging into gmail. Have you gone to the website and checked the account?

progear

n3wb
Reaction score
Yes, tried just about everything imaginable including several hours on the phone with google? Its 2 emails (running off the same domain) that no longer work on any of the cameras. I can still send/receive emails thru outlook and my Gmail account, but for some reason when the emails are coming form the cameras, the server smtp.gmail.com server is kicking them back. It has to be a setting at there end? Absolutely nothing changed at my end, no upgrades, no anything.

CodeGreen

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
There's a security feature on gmail you have to disable for smtp. I forget what it is, search google for it.

progear

n3wb
Reaction score
Have pretty much enabled and disabled all the features on the Gmail account. I think the next step is to open a new account under a new domain and see what happens. After spending hours with google, they seem to have no solutions or answers.

SJP11

n3wb
Reaction score
I am in the same boat....tried everything and will be interested in any ideas.

SJP11

n3wb
Reaction score
Thanks bp2008,

I do not know about others but I already have the "Allow less secure apps" turned on. I can see Synology Mail Notification within the apps connected to account but not Hikvision :(

SJP11

n3wb
Reaction score
Just sorted :)

I found that my IPv4 Default Gateway was incorrect. Could have sworn it was right but a check on PC found otherwise. All works well and I hope this may help others. Thanks.

horseflesh

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
Glad you got it working.

On a related note today I realized my NVR had not been sending email since Saturday. I had changed NO settings, but... things happen.

I logged in to the Gmail account on the web, and verified it was set to allow "less secure" apps.

Then I went to the NVR, turned email sending off, turned it on, and used the test button. The test worked, and thereafter, the NVR was able to send email again.

I do not know which of these steps did the trick. Sometimes, I guess it wants a hug.

progear

n3wb
Reaction score
I set the 'less secure app' a few months back and everything was working fine until last week? I just installed BI on another computer (same network) and its sending just fine with the smtp.gmail.com?????? But for whatever reason, all 4 HIK's cannot connect to the server on there own? I and Google have reviewed every setting possible and can't get the cameras to connect. Google swears up and down, there is nothing blocking at there end? I'm putting in a call Monday to HIK to see if there is an update needed or missing. Currently running 5.3.0 on (4) 2032's

horseflesh

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
I suggest that you abandon that Gmail account. You've spent a long time trying to fix it, but something is clearly screwy. Fortunately Gmail accounts are free, so make a new one just for camera emails. You can easily set up forwarding rules, so the email will end up wherever you need it.

If you do make a new account, you will need to provide Google a phone number for verification. This may be voodoo, but when I did this and used a phone number associated with an existing Gmail account, I had NVR email problems. Make the backup phone and email for this new NVR email account something that Google has never seen before.

Good luck!

NFS

n3wb
Reaction score
This has happened to me today. No settings or configurations have been changed on the NVR, it just randomly stopped sending emails. I have tried to send a test email from the NVR but it fails. I have logged onto the gmail account from my PC to check if the 'allow less secure apps' was switched ON and it is. Rebooted the NVR but still same issue. Checked IP addresses etc. but these are still the same. Any ideas on how to get this working?

SJP11

n3wb
Reaction score
Worth double checking that your iPv4 Default Gateway is still correct against router.

Gribeiro

n3wb
Reaction score
That happen to me today, after 6 months sending emails normally, suddendly stopped working, giving an error: Failed to connect the test server, in all cams. Its a bit strange.

sydownes

n3wb
Reaction score
Same here, 4 cams all stopped working at the roughly the same time against 2 seperate gmail accounts. Have tried creating a new gmail account and the test email from the camera still fails.

Gribeiro

n3wb
Reaction score
I just found that the error was because of SSL, i created an email with a personal domain and add non ssl settings and it worked. So the question is: Why it was working with SSL and suddendly stopped working?

Last edited by a moderator:

Gribeiro

n3wb
Reaction score
If it is gmail, why my Foscam is still working and Hikvision not? Might be the coding of each brand.. if thats the case

Last edited by a moderator: