go easy on me...

rangelia

n3wb
Reaction score
Hey yall, I need a little guidance. At my last house I had a 8 ch night owl,, go easy lol. It actually served the purpose for more than 8 years so honestly theres nothing bad I can say about it. We recently moved and now I have a little more area to cover. I would still be OK with 8 channel, But my furthest camera would be about 200 ft away (if that matters?). I would like a system that has decent night vision and one that would accept a PTZ . I have a 60 foot antenna tower that I would like to put the PTZ on. About PTZ, without breaking the bank, is there a auto tracking PTZ thats decent? I live in a dead end dirt road with 6 houses on it in the county so traffic is minimal (if that info helps with the PTZ) . Thanks in advance!

Reaction score
Funny that you posted this only 48 minutes ago. I was on Costco's site and they have a pack of 2 Night Owl brand IP cameras ( supposedly 4K ) one user on Amazon said they are 1080p.
So that is rather confusing ( Amazon review was a verified buyer )

I did a fast search for Night Owl brand cameras and can't find a single review, leading me to believe they aren't good at all. The "Night Owl" brand IP cameras on Costco's site are
model number: CAM-2PK-IC8-B Google picks up zero reviews, just websites selling these cameras. Some of the experts here will know who makes these cameras, and if they are total garbage.

Another camera I found on Amazon's site was a HIKVISION camera, running at 4K but at also 30 fps. This is totally bogus. NO 4K cameras run at that resolution while running at 30 fps. Max is 20 fps
for example SWANN IP cameras ( rebranded HikVision ) .... the Lorex brand 4K cameras only run at 15 fps. I then clicked the vendor's website on Amazon and it turns out they are calling themselves
"HIKVISION COMPATIBLE" - yes the name of their store.... which tells me they are NOT authentic Hikvision cameras.

rangelia

n3wb
Reaction score
I dont think you understood my question...... But if your looking for a real person review on night owl, I had the Poseidon "series" for more than 8 years with zero problems (think the system was 1080 but not sure). Even could check all cameras on the phone. Just looking to upgrade.

SouthernYankee

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
:welcome:

Read, study, plan before spending money.

A PTZ camera Review - Dahua SD49225XA-HNR 2MP 25x Starlight + IR PTZ AI Camera with Deep IVS & SMD Plus
===============================

My standard welcome to the forum message.

Read Study Plan before spending money
Cameras are for surveillance to get information for after the fact.

Please read the IP Cam Talk Cliff Notes and other items in the IP Cam Talk Wiki. (read on a real computer, not a phone). The wiki is in the blue bar at the top of the page.

Read How to Secure Your Network (Don't Get Hacked!) in the wiki also.

Quick start
1) If you do not have a wired monitored alarm system, get that first
2) Use Dahua starlight cameras or Hikvision darkfighter cameras if you need good low light cameras.
3) use a VPN to access home network (openVPN)
4) Do not use wifi cameras.
5) Do not use cloud storage
6) Do Not use uPNP, P2P, QR, do not open ports,
7) More megapixel is not necessarily better.
8) Avoid chinese hacked cameras (most ebay, amazon, aliexpress cameras(not all, but most))
9) Do not use reolink, ring, nest, Arlo cameras (they are junk), no cloud cameras
10) If possible use a turret camera , bullet collect spiders, dome collect dirt and reflect light (IR)
11) Use only solid copper, AWG 23 or 24 ethernet wire. , no CCA (Copper Clad Aluminum)
12) use a test mount to verify the camera mount location. My test rig: rev.2
13) (Looney2ns)If you want to be able to ID faces, don't mount cams higher than 7ft. You want to know who did it, not just what happened.
14) Use a router that has openVPN built in (Most ASUS, Some NetGear....)
15) camera placement use the calculator... IPVM Camera Calculator V3
16) POE list PoE Switch Suggestion List
17) Camera Sensor size, bigger is general better Sensor Size Chart
18) Camera lens size, a bigger number give more range but less field of view. Which Security Camera Lens Size Should I Buy?

Cameras to look at
IPC-T5442TM-AS-LED . Review IPC-T5442TM-AS-LED (Full Color, Starlight+) - 4MP starlight
.................... Dahua IPC-T5442TM-AS-LED review
IPC-T5442TM-AS ..... Review-OEM 4mp AI Cam IPC-T5442TM-AS Starlight+ - 4MP starlight+
IPC-B5442E-ZE ...... Review - OEM IPC-B5442E-ZE 4MP AI Varifocal Bullet Camera With Starlight+

IPC-T2347G-LU ...... Review of the Hikvision OEM model IPC-T2347G-LU 'ColorVu' IP CCTV camera. (DS-2CD2347G1-LU)
IPC-HDW2231R-ZS .... Review-Dahua IPC-HDW2231RP-ZS Starlight Camera-Varifocal
IPC-HDW2231T-ZS-S2 . Review-OEM IPC-T2231T-ZS 2mp Varifocal Starlight Camera
IPC-HDW5231R-ZE .... Review-Dahua Starlight IPC-HDW5231R-ZE 800 meter capable ePOE
IPC-HFW4239T-ASE ... IPC-HFW4239T-ASE
IPCT-HDW5431RE-I ... Review - IP Cam Talk 4 MP IR Fixed Turret Network Camera
IPC-T5241H-AS-PV ... Review-OEM IPC-T5241H-AS-PV 2mp AI active deterrence cam
IPC-T3241-ZAS ...... Review-OEM IPC-T3241-ZAS 2mp AI Lite series Varifocal -- 2mp AI Lite series Varifocal
IPC-HFW2831T-ZS ... Review-Dahua IPC-HFW2831T-ZS 8MP WDR IR Bullet Network Camera -- 8MP Bullet 1/1.8” sensor variable focus.
DS-2CD2325FWD-I
N22AL12 ............ New Dahua N22AL12 Budget Cam w/Starlight -- low cost entry
IPC-T2347G-LU....... Review-Loryta OEM 4MP IPC-T2347G-LU ColorVu Fixed Turret Network 4mm lens & Junction Box -- 4MP ColorVu
.................... Review of the Hikvision OEM model IPC-T2347G-LU 'ColorVu' IP CCTV camera.

Other dahua 4MP starlight Dahua 4MP Starlight Lineup

My preferred indoor cameras
DS-2CD2442FWD-IW
IPC-K35A Review-Dahua IPC-K35A 3mp Cube Camera

If interested in Blue Iris and other setup items see the following post

Before asking a question search the forum first...
The best way to search the forum is to use Google
In the google search window enter.. site:ipcamtalk.com ?????? ..where ?????? is the items/terms you are interested in.
Example site:ipcamtalk.com PALE MOON BROWSER

Read,study,plan before spending money ..... plan plan plan
Test do not guess

rangelia

n3wb
Reaction score
Thanks for the copy paste. Im not trying to be rude, but Im also not trying to be a cctv guru. I looked at a few things you listed and none of it makes sense, except "use a turret camera" . Im not really interested in stats on each piece of equipment. . Maybe I should rephrase my question. What is a good entry level 8 channel system (DVR with cameras) and a reasonably priced PTZ? Auto tracking would be nice if that feature is worth it at a affordable price? Again, not trying to be rude, but you gotta remember that I did have a night owl and was OK with it.. Just wanting to upgrade. Thanks for your time!

Reaction score
What is a good entry level 8 channel system (DVR with cameras) and a reasonably priced PTZ?
Most everyone on here with experience does not use an entry level system, so it is hard to give a recommendation on something one has no experience with.

The other thing is that you say 'reasonably priced' without giving a dollar amount. Not trying to be rude but, what is reasonably priced to me and what is to someone else can be several hundred dollars different.

I personally would balk at paying more than $300 for a PTZ. But @Wildcat_1 has quite a few way past that amount.

CCTVCam

Known around here
Reaction score
Thanks for the copy paste. Im not trying to be rude, but Im also not trying to be a cctv guru. I looked at a few things you listed and none of it makes sense, except "use a turret camera" . Im not really interested in stats on each piece of equipment. . Maybe I should rephrase my question. What is a good entry level 8 channel system (DVR with cameras) and a reasonably priced PTZ? Auto tracking would be nice if that feature is worth it at a affordable price? Again, not trying to be rude, but you gotta remember that I did have a night owl and was OK with it.. Just wanting to upgrade. Thanks for your time!
The whole point of the links is not to give you stats (which you can just get from the Dahua website), but real hand experience and views from people who actually have those models and have tried and compared them to others. That's the only way you can ascertain which are good, bad or mediocre. Night vision tends to be one area where there can be a lot of difference between cams.

At the moment the sweet spot seems to be 4mp Starlight+ cameras with large sensors.

Avoid the megamixel trap. More megapixels doesn't = a better quality picture. Often what you gain in the day you pay heavily for at night - hence the value of reviews. As for a DVR, you should consider a pc and Blue Iris. A good non ptz camera might be a IPC-T5442TM-AS although a couple of users have recentl;y reported a reliability issue with these. This may or may not be significant. There's also now a varifocal version out with a different model number - look in the Dahua section for the review.

rangelia

n3wb
Reaction score
Most everyone on here with experience does not use an entry level system, so it is hard to give a recommendation on something one has no experience with.

The other thing is that you say 'reasonably priced' without giving a dollar amount. Not trying to be rude but, what is reasonably priced to me and what is to someone else can be several hundred dollars different.

I personally would balk at paying more than $300 for a PTZ. But @Wildcat_1 has quite a few way past that amount.

Makes perfect sense, sorry I should have been a little more specific. Theres so many options out there, unless your in the business, or hobby its all like a foreign language. I Think Im looking for a POE NVR <? with turret cameras (as someone previously suggested). I guess a question I would have is can you use PTZ's with all NVR's? ?
The PTZ's that I have looked at in the past that I thought was decent quality was around the $500 range. They also had auto tracking on them. I have read mixed reviews about auto tracking on cameras in that price range so I wasn't sure if it would be better Idea to just get a PTZ without auto tracking. Its good to know that they can be had for less. So I guess that puts my price range around $1000.00 (+/-) .... See how A layman guy as myself can get confused? hahahahaha. I'v looked at these off and on for about a year and never made a decision because there is so many options. So hear I am..... Thanks for all the replies this far.

wittaj

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
Go with a Lorex system from Costco. An upgrade from Night Owl and Lorex is rebranded Dahua, so IF you decide you want to upgrade a camera or two, you can get one of the decent Dahua cams and it will work with the system.

My neighbor bought the Lorex 8 cam 4K system a little over a year ago from Costco. Had a few areas that he wanted better cams for night, so he purchased a starlight and an autotrack PTZ from @EMPIRETECANDY and they were immediately recognized by the NVR and life is good for him.

Others here go with the PC and Blue Iris.

It sounds like you are looking for a kit. That is good "starter" kit that is an upgrade from Night Owl, and if this turns into a hobby, you at least now will have a decent starting point.

Auto track is hit or miss - some people here have great luck and success with it, others not too much. A lot depends on your setting and if there are obstacles that could interfere with the tracking. But if you want to spend the time to dial it in, you can make it work. In most instances, it isn't plug and play. And assume it will be looking where the action isn't happening...

looney2ns

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
Not to be rude, but most of us here feel it is rude for a newbie to come along and ask question's that have been answered 50 times this week. And take no initiative to study info readily available.
The answers to those questions are in the links that @SouthernYankee gave you.
The goal of any surveillance system is to be able to ID a face of a bad guy, not just what happened.
Personally, I would not buy a kits, way too many compromise's.
Read @SouthernYankee gave you again, and study it.
Use search at the upper right corner of the screen.
Stick with Dahua, Hikvision or IPcam talks own brand of cameras.
Put down the phone, get on a real computer so you can study properly.

rangelia

n3wb
Reaction score
Not to be rude, but most of us here feel it is rude for a newbie to come along and ask question's that have been answered 50 times this week. And take no initiative to study info readily available.
The answers to those questions are in the links that @SouthernYankee gave you.
The goal of any surveillance system is to be able to ID a face of a bad guy, not just what happened.
Personally, I would not buy a kits, way too many compromise's.
Read @SouthernYankee gave you again, and study it.
Use search at the upper right corner of the screen.
Stick with Dahua, Hikvision or IPcam talks own brand of cameras.
Put down the phone, get on a real computer so you can study properly.
Maybe Im just one of those guys who dont want to learn or understand all the ends and outs of CCTV . Seems like theres 49 more just this week like me. Iv spent a little time in the past looking at systems and its confusing. Instead of making a stupid decision, I chose to come here and ask if people minded to help. Thats just part of the WWW .
After looking at the kits, I agree with you,,, Theres nothing that really fits my needs in a kit. Sense I have a large area to cover, I think it might be best to get a NVR with 18 channels and start adding cameras as needed. Meanwhile, Ill look at some some of the links that SY posted.

sebastiantombs

Known around here
Reaction score
If you use an NVR remember that cameras from the same manufacturer will be needed if you want "plug and play" operation. Even then there are things that you might want/need to configure in the cameras, themselves. There is no system, right out of a box, that will fit every,or any, situation. In fact cameras are the same way. Each location requires a different camera. You may not want to learn or understand, but if you don't you'll end up disappointed in the end. There's more to it than stick a camera up and plug it in.

rangelia

n3wb
Reaction score
If you use an NVR remember that cameras from the same manufacturer will be needed if you want "plug and play" operation. Even then there are things that you might want/need to configure in the cameras, themselves. There is no system, right out of a box, that will fit every,or any, situation. In fact cameras are the same way. Each location requires a different camera. You may not want to learn or understand, but if you don't you'll end up disappointed in the end. There's more to it than stick a camera up and plug it in.
Thanks for the tip. Thats exactly where I would have messed up. What would be better to use than a NVR? What would allow me to "mix and match" and build on? Even if I get 4 cameras now, I guess it would be better to get something you can always upgrade.

sebastiantombs

Known around here
Reaction score
The best solution is Blue Iris, but you will need to learn how to use the software properly. It will work with most any cameras brand and type, think PTZ. You can view it on your local networks using a builtin web interface called UI3 and, if you configure a VPN (more to learn) easily view it from anywhere on your smart phone.

Reaction score
Maybe Im just one of those guys who dont want to learn or understand all the ends and outs of CCTV
If you don't want to learn, then your best bet would be to get a professional to sell you something and install it. You will pay more for it and probably will not get great cameras, but at least you won't have to make an effort to learn anything.

Many folks do just that. Get someone to install a system and never look back.

CCTVCam

Known around here
Reaction score
One solution could be to get one of the professionals on here to install a tailor made system for you based on the best equipment available for a given price. However, I doubt it will be cheap to go that route. I'm not sure of all the pro's on here and where they are located but I'm sure someone could help you out with that. Otherwise, consider a pc (see the wiki), switch, Blue Iris, and the best cameras that fit your situtaion from the reviews, as Looney and Southern Yankee have directed you.

It's not about becoming an expert. When you buy a car you don't beome a mechanic. However, you don't go to a dealership and pick a random car from a lot by rock paper scissors or similar. You do some research and work out which cars are right for you then select one or more of those. It's just the same with cameras. You don't want a fiesta if you need a Ferrari. Nor do you want a Ford Explorer if a Fiesta would fit better in your garage. It's all about some basic research on models and the hard work has already been done for you. The best cameras (for price) are nearly always in the links provided by Southern, or at the top of the Dahua discussion forum and it only takes a few clicks to read some reviews. I'm sure at a later stage, if you post a pic of your house and the angles you want to cover / proposed positioning you'll get some more advice. However, you need to start with the basics and put together a suggested system. The only time I would advise departing from the general advise is if like one member on here, money is no object. At that point it maybe picture takes precedence over everything else. I think he spent $10K on a single camera. However, he's the exception. Generally the best cameras for a sensible buck are in the links as is the review on quality.