Go with the hardware I have now or upgrade?

ARAMP1

Pulling my weight
Reaction score
Noob here....I've looked through the hardware recommendations and can't find my processor, so I'm looking for some advice.

I currently have a SuperMicro C7Z87 motherboard with an i5-4690K 4th gen 1150 series processor and 16Gb of RAM that I was using for an unRaid server. Pretty sure that i5 supports Quick Sync Video. Currently have six 4MP cameras that I'm using in a Lorex system. I may add more down the road.

Anyway, I figure I have a couple options.

1. Go with the system I have now. I'd need to purchase a copy of Windows. Assuming Windows 10 Home is good enough which would be aprox $100. (I couldn't find where it specifies Home or Pro). Upgrade in the future as necessary.

2. Find a better processor. It looks like I could find an i7-4790 for a couple hundred bucks. I'd still need a copy of windows.

3. Scrap what I have now and just look on the used market for a 2011-V3 series i7 machine with windows already installed. I have a rack in my network closet and would want to repo all the components to the rack.

Any advice is appreciated.

jason0

n3wb
Reaction score
I don't think you'll have a problem with that hardware. I am using older hardware (E5-2667) and run blueiris in a virtual machine without issues. I have 7 cameras with a total of 530MP/s

Edit: CPU usage for the server typically 30% (most other VM's are idle) when BI console in minimized.