going down the right path? Optex, landscape, BI

Chasin Fin

n3wb
Reaction score
I've been reading this site for days and there is so much great information and guidance which is great. I'm hopeful some could confirm what i'm trying to accomplish and if i'm going down the right path.

So what i'm trying to accomplish is:

I've got the camera parts down or at least an idea but what i'm trying to have occur is a laser trip wire similar to the one below and which time would trigger an alert to iphone/etc. and will create a rule that would turn on my landscape lights/flood lights and record cameras and perhaps sounds an alarm/noise. Anyone have an suggestions on best PC program such as Blue Iris to run this and are my ideas doable? Any tips/pointers would be greatly appreciated and look forward to having this come together. Down the road, wouldn't mind adding a doorbell system, etc. to the mix. I do have Vivint Alarm now if there is perhaps any capability into this. Also, any tips on places to order stuff would be great.

Thanks in advance.

IP Network Photo Electric Detector | OPTEX

Tmos

n3wb
Reaction score
I have setup a system somewhat similar to what you are describing. But a dahua camera was used to send the trigger and receive a trigger for an event. Blue Iris would then trigger a camera group. But the security sensors were separate. The alarm system would just send the signal to the camera and to a relay timer that turned on other lights. The only connection was thru the dahua camera.

Chasin Fin

n3wb
Reaction score
Thanks and i think I can figure most of it out but just want to make sure that Blue Iris is the correct base program to handle all matters.

Does Blue Iris have the ability to control smartplugs such as wemo smartplugs. Example would be if my trigger or motion detects action, i want Blue Iris to turn on specific smartplugs/light.

By chance is there is any blogs or dummies guide to setting up Blue Iris for home automation/security? Thanks!

Tmos

n3wb
Reaction score
Interesting thought. Controlling IoTs from Blue Iris. I can't say I have ever gone down that road. At a quick glance, BI does have a config page for IoT. I don't remember seeing that months ago. I love new stuff! LOL I will have to play around with this.

Blue IRIS and IOT ( Internet of things)

"4.7.0 - March 2, 2018

Implementation of the MQTT IoT (Internet of Things) protocol. Configure your MQTT server on the Options/Digital IO and IoT page. The software will listen for any topic matching BlueIris/#, currently only BlueIris/admin is implemented. When a message is received on this topic, the message payload is parsed and processed exactly as if it were received via the web server following /admin?. Example payloads are “signal=0” and “camera=cam1&trigger”.

The Eclipse Mosquitto MQTT server was used for testing. It’s available from Eclipse Mosquitto.

The camera Web request alert may now be used to publish to your MQTT server. Select MQTT instead of HTTP and then specify the topic and payload text. If you use a topic of BlueIris/admin you can force a loopback for testing or other purposes." - from [RELEASE] BI Fusion v3.0 - Adds: Blue Iris Device Type Handler, Blue Iris Camera DTH, Motion Sensing

Snap 2019-01-25 at 18.54.04.jpg Snap 2019-01-25 at 18.53.38.jpg Snap 2019-01-25 at 18.20.59.jpg

Attachments

Last edited: