Gonna build 2nd BI system, questions

MartyO

Banned
Reaction score
1) I will buy and install on computer electronically, can disk I bought for 1st system be a backup disk for second system (just have enter new license #)?
2) Before getting new cameras, I'm going to test 2nd server on 1st system network, so do I export BI settings, and then export all individual cameras too and then import all to 2nd server?

fenderman

Staff member
Reaction score
Dont use the disk ever..you can download the latest full version on the website.
you can export all your settings.

bp2008

Staff member
Reaction score
You do not need to export each camera individually. They will all be included in the main settings export.

MartyO

Banned
Reaction score
OK BI second system running on same network as first system Got 2 cameras running on main router x.x.x.1, and 7 running off wired Bridge x.x.x.2 all 9 are WIFI with total network load of 17 Mbits/sec thats direct to disk.

Computer 1 is I5 4250U with a passmrk 3470. BI CPU utilization is 7%
Computer 2 is Pentium G620 @ 2.6 Ghz with a passmark 2270. BI CPU utilization is 12%

so I'm the little engine(s) that could, for now. Thanks for help.

MartyO

Banned
Reaction score
When both servers are sucking video from cameras its interesting to see that network activity is not same per camera. my slower computer consistently has slightly higher received Bytes/sec, usually 1-2 %. Wonder if its in the error of the calculation or related to different MPEG methods of BI servers. BTW both BI servers are simultaneous sucking video off of the same network.

bp2008

Staff member
Reaction score
Sucking down the same streams, even?

If any of the streams are MJPEG then some variability is to be expected. MJPEG does not stream at a fixed bit rate. It streams at whatever speed the systems can handle at the moment.

MartyO

Banned
Reaction score
Sucking down the same streams, even?

If any of the streams are MJPEG then some variability is to be expected. MJPEG does not stream at a fixed bit rate. It streams at whatever speed the systems can handle at the moment.
All are MPEG, the cameras are set, they send their streams to the router, both servers are listening via BI running. They (BI servers) listen differently.

MartyO

Banned
Reaction score
I'll bet H.264 has even more variation depending on the server.

bp2008

Staff member
Reaction score
I doubt H.264 has more variation. There may be variation in the bit rate of the video encoding, but the video encoding only happens once and each BI server just receives a copy of it. So each BI server should be receiving more or less exactly the same data as the other BI server. That is simply how it works with most, if not all cameras that do MPEG, MPEG4, H.264, or anything similar.

MJPEG and JPEG cameras, however, work in a fundamentally different way. These streaming protocols are designed to drop frames when necessary to allow the network and the receiving device to keep up. So if you have two BI servers both pulling the same MJPEG stream, then it is likely the streams will be significantly different from each other, as one stream can easily fall behind and drop a frame while the other stream keeps going without dropping the same frame.

MartyO

Banned
Reaction score
Well all is not honky dory, with slower system. my E drive is a usb2 wd black paper weight, bought it 3 years ago

in red at the bottom is !!E:1.65T
in status I get the RED X for Clips E:63.93.3G/3.43T (-1.65T)

Appreciate advice its still my rockie year, thanks

fenderman

Staff member
Reaction score
Search help file for status bar..

Sent via Taptalk

MartyO

Banned
Reaction score
Settting up BI system at new location

Connect second router (192.168.2.1) to new location( whiched worked great with a Linksys main router at first location), plugged its WAN port into LAN of Verizon FIOS router 192.168.1.1) and power cycled this second router.

For some reason main router (Verizon) is giving second router an IP address 192.168.1.xxx in its DHCP subnet even though I gave it a static IP (192.168.2.1) before hand which it still has.

Well I'll admit I'm a network novice, without details what is wrong with my approach?

ruppmeister

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
Sounds like you are getting two subnets working here. Not sure what you need two subnets for exactly as this complicates things tremendously, but if you wish...

I think you want this:

Internet - Router 1 (FIOS) - Router 2 - Network 2 End Device
|
|
Network 1 End Device​

In this case you would plug in Internet to FIOS WAN port. There would be an IP of your service provider then on WAN port and DHCP range on all others LAN ports (192.168.1.0/24).
Plug Router 2 WAN port into Router 1 LAN port. This gives Router 2 a WAN IP from Router 1 (192.168.1.0/24). Then you would setup Router 2 with DHCP of its own for Router 2 LAN ports (192.168.2.0/24).

MartyO

Banned
Reaction score
Sounds like you are getting two subnets working here. Not sure what you need two subnets for exactly as this complicates things tremendously, but if you wish...

I think you want this:

Internet - Router 1 (FIOS) - Router 2 - Network 2 End Device
|
|
Network 1 End Device​

In this case you would plug in Internet to FIOS WAN port. There would be an IP of your service provider then on WAN port and DHCP range on all others LAN ports (192.168.1.0/24).
Plug Router 2 WAN port into Router 1 LAN port. This gives Router 2 a WAN IP from Router 1 (192.168.1.0/24). Then you would setup Router 2 with DHCP of its own for Router 2 LAN ports (192.168.2.0/24).
Sorry, I don't understand "plug internet to FIOS WAN port". FIOS WAN port presently is empty as COAX comes into it as there is no separate cable modem. FIOS combines cable modem and router into one unit.

You may already know this, this my novice way of communicating. Appreciate your help.

ruppmeister

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
Forgive me as I didn't understand that your modem was also doing routing. You can and probably should turn off the routing in your FIOS router and set it to Bridge Mode. This essentially makes it an interface for Router 2 in your setup to do all the routing and NATing. Might be able to google your FIOS router model and Bridge mode to get specific instructions.

Unless of course you are attempting to have two subnets, then it would be different story :)

fenderman

Staff member
Reaction score
The actiontec verzion modem/routers do not support bridging...You can have verizon run ethernet direct from the ONT, this will allow you to use your own router..however you may loose some tv functions (like video on demand or something)...
You can keep using the actiontec and simply disable dhcp on the second router.

fenderman

Staff member
Reaction score
It doesn't look like that statement is entirely true as Verizon has posted instructions on their website on how to do this. Unless of course OP has a different model router.

http://www.verizon.com/support/residential/internet/highspeed/networking/setup/actiontec704wg/123754.htm

Sentusing Tapatalk
Yes OP has a different model...your link is to the old DSL combos...the fios combos to not allow bridging.
http://support.actiontec.com/doc_files/Can_I_Bridge_the_Actiontec_MI424WR_FiOS_Router.pdf