good camera to see 60 feet away and in the dark?

tung256

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
i have this laview system already installed Amazon.com : LaView 6 1080P IP Camera Security System, 8 Channel 1080P IP PoE NVR w/2TB HDD and 6 1080P 2MP White Bullet Surveillance Camera Kit : Camera & Photo
works great indoor and outdoor!
recently someone is dumping trash in my back yard about 60 feet away at night, when im asleep. the cameras i have are too wide. even if it was broad daylight, i still cant see faces or license plate. 4k cams is not an option at this time because i dont have a 4k TV. what cameras do you suggest?
thanks!

As an Amazon Associate IPCamTalk earns from qualifying purchases.

fenderman

Staff member
Reaction score
i have this laview system already installed Amazon.com : LaView 6 1080P IP Camera Security System, 8 Channel 1080P IP PoE NVR w/2TB HDD and 6 1080P 2MP White Bullet Surveillance Camera Kit : Camera & Photo
works great indoor and outdoor!
recently someone is dumping trash in my back yard about 60 feet away at night, when im asleep. the cameras i have are too wide. even if it was broad daylight, i still cant see faces or license plate. 4k cams is not an option at this time because i dont have a 4k TV. what cameras do you suggest?
thanks!
1) 4k wont help you
2) you dont need a 4k tv to benefit from a 4k camera...
you need a different lens or ptz camera...
you will need to dedicate the camera for lpr - see that section of this forum.

As an Amazon Associate IPCamTalk earns from qualifying purchases.

tung256

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
thanks for the response!
i wont need LPR feature. i will need zoom though...at least something with 30mm. this 25mm zoom adapter is very tempting after i checked out the LPR section. but knowing me, i might mess a camera up.
so most likely i will get this PTZ from laview too, even though i dont need pan and tilt. cant believe it's $520! oops...just read and notice the review mention this camera does not have IR for night vision. so nevermind on this one.

i can't find any camera that has a fixed lens of 25mm or lesser than 40mm. :(

tung256

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
wow, that camera is really impressive Mike! truly wide range from 4.7 to 94mm.

let me try this Hik 16mm cam from B&H first for $180. it should be able to reach the area of interest 60 feet away right?
if not, i will order the cam you suggested. thanks!

Reaction score
I have two 5 mp hikvison cameras covering that same area and that 2mp blows them away. good choice buying from B&H they are my backup to Nelly's Security which is my to go to place. I regret buying cheaper cameras from amazon due to the lack of service and the chances of bricking them when trying to up date the firmware is high

m82a1pa

n3wb
Reaction score
Last edited:

fenderman

Staff member
Reaction score
During a rainstorm last week, my Chinese mini ptz camera became an indoor swimming pool and drowned. The is a nice camera but, at $600, is too much for me to spend monitoring my backyard.

Can anyone recommend something similar around $200 - $300?

Thanks
you dont need a ptz to monitor your backyard...
that said there is are dauha ptz's for about 340...see the threads...

m82a1pa

n3wb
Reaction score
Well, you haven't seen my backyard. And I do need a ptz.

Last edited by a moderator:

fenderman

Staff member
Reaction score
Well, you haven't seen my backyard. And I do need a ptz.
nope...impossible...you cannot be sitting there monitoring your yard 24/7...Therefore a ptz is completely pointless.

Last edited:

pal251

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
Can you trench a wire out to the area?

Check with Lts security also or Andy for a camera. I have a 1.3 mp camera with I believe a 12 or 25x that's still for sale in our forum

m82a1pa

n3wb
Reaction score
Well, you haven't seen my backyard. And I do need a ptz. Therefore a ptz is completely pointless.
Thanks for editing my post. While I can't watch the backyard 24/7, Blue Iris can. Like other forums I visit, there's always someone who has the need to post replies that are totally unhelpful. Your adding verbiage to my post is the rudest thing I've ever had done on any forum.

My current PTZ camera is affixed to the back wall facing the backyard. I'm just looking for something that's weatherproof, has good IR, and good zoom without going above my budget. I'm retired and a disabled vet so I can't throw more than $200 - $300 at a camera.

fenderman

Staff member
Reaction score
Thanks for editing my post. While I can't watch the backyard 24/7, Blue Iris can. Like other forums I visit, there's always someone who has the need to post replies that are totally unhelpful. Your adding verbiage to my post is the rudest thing I've ever had done on any forum.

My current PTZ camera is affixed to the back wall facing the backyard. I'm just looking for something that's weatherproof, has good IR, and good zoom without going above my budget. I'm retired and a disabled vet so I can't throw more than $200 - $300 at a camera.
After inspection it appears Your post was edited in error... "Therefore a ptz is completely pointless." was intended to be tacked on to my post. Why the fuck would you think i would intentionally edit the end of your post and not the beginning. You are a real moron. IF you dont like my replies on my forum, you are welcome to leave. Dont tell me how to conduct my business. Ever.
Blue iris cannot monitor your backyard with a single ptz. Its a physical impossibility. A patrol is useless. I make a point of pointing out dumb ideas, like yours, to users...if you dont like it LEAVE - take your attitude and six collective posts and shove it. Hows that for the rudest thing you have ever seen.

Last edited: