Good mini pc for running BI

Reaction score
Hi
looking to get a PC to run about 6-8 cameras, recording at night, mostly just on trigger.

Want a PC that can handle the 8 cameras, was looking at something like this:

Aliexpress.com: Comprar Más 8th Gen CPU i7 8550U Mini computadora Mini Quad Core 8 Mb de caché HTPC Mini PC sin ventilador con 16 GB DDR4 RAM 512 GB Msata SSD DP HDMI de Mini PC fiable proveedores en KINGDEL COMPUTER ONLINE STORE

Do you think this would be good? its intel graphics card for decoding which I believe BI prefers over nvidia, its intel i7 latest gen and good clock, plenty of ram, ssd etc.

Will that do the job?

Thanks
Darren

Last edited by a moderator:

fenderman

Staff member
Reaction score
Hi
looking to get a PC to run about 6-8 cameras, recording at night, mostly just on trigger.

Want a PC that can handle the 8 cameras, was looking at something like this:

Aliexpress.com: Comprar Más 8th Gen CPU i7 8550U Mini computadora Mini Quad Core 8 Mb de caché HTPC Mini PC sin ventilador con 16 GB DDR4 RAM 512 GB Msata SSD DP HDMI de Mini PC fiable proveedores en KINGDEL COMPUTER ONLINE STORE

Do you think this would be good? its intel graphics card for decoding which I believe BI prefers over nvidia, its intel i7 latest gen and good clock, plenty of ram, ssd etc.

Will that do the job?

Thanks
Darren
No. Read the wiki...dont use a mini pc...it overpriced no room for 3.5 storage and will throttle when it over heats. Blue iris does no care about the number of cameras. Its total fps and resolution.

Last edited by a moderator:
Reaction score
ok, was just trying to find something nice, small and quiet to hide it away (i.e behind a tv so could switch to hdmi 2 for instance to view cameras), but, take your point on the overheating. I have them set to 10fps mostly and resolution at 2560x1440 (unless nighttime light is poor then will drop it down to 1980), but all the cameras are starlight cameras, trying to keep bitrate low, frame rate low etc, to not kill pc/network as its mostly used to back up the texecom house alarm, so if the house alarm goes off we can remote view and see if it was a false call etc. Will have a look for another pc in non small form factor to get the bigger drives in. thanks

fenderman

Staff member
Reaction score
ok, was just trying to find something nice, small and quiet to hide it away (i.e behind a tv so could switch to hdmi 2 for instance to view cameras), but, take your point on the overheating. I have them set to 10fps mostly and resolution at 2560x1440 (unless nighttime light is poor then will drop it down to 1980), but all the cameras are starlight cameras, trying to keep bitrate low, frame rate low etc, to not kill pc/network as its mostly used to back up the texecom house alarm, so if the house alarm goes off we can remote view and see if it was a false call etc. Will have a look for another pc in non small form factor to get the bigger drives in. thanks
Changing the camera resolution at night will not result in a better image. There is no easy way to change the resolution like that anyway. Starlight cameras are not 2560x1440...the network is not affected by cameras if you set it up properly.

Reaction score
oh, i read on here in a few places that high res cameras like the 8mb star light not as good as the 2mb at night due to letting in less light, maybe altering the resolution down on a higher mb camera still doesn't let in more light. I did a lot of testing last night on getting a good trade off on cpu/ram/network and watchable quality video and got it really good i think/hope, with one camera, waiting on the rest to arrive now from Andy. Thanks