Good Wifi Camera options

Donahue

n3wb
Reaction score
I am looking into mounting some cameras (looking down) on some large bridge cranes in our shop. These would mostly be for insurance and liability purposes. Are there any good recommendations for a camera that might fit this use case? I obviously cannot run PoE to these locations.

bp2008

Staff member
Reaction score
I'm not sure why you obviously can't run PoE, but don't let that limit your choice of camera. Many cheap wifi access points or routers can be used as a wifi client so you can still use any camera you want. Here's just one example: http://a.co/d/ixQIl6D

As an Amazon Associate IPCamTalk earns from qualifying purchases.

Donahue

n3wb
Reaction score
Installing a camera on a bridge crane would require quite a bit of festooning in the ethernet cable. Our cranes are similar to this one. They travel about 300' in one axis, and about 40' in another. I can probably get power to them, but there would have to be a wireless portion for the data signal. But perhaps I could run both the camera and something like that AP on the crane. Thanks for the idea.

Cameraguy

Known around here
Reaction score
I'm not sure why you obviously can't run PoE, but don't let that limit your choice of camera. Many cheap wifi access points or routers can be used as a wifi client so you can still use any camera you want. Here's just one example: http://a.co/d/ixQIl6D
Yea I have used wifi extender with camera plugged directly into the extender.. actually doing that right now as a temporary solution for my deck till I run cat cable

As an Amazon Associate IPCamTalk earns from qualifying purchases.

Q™

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
I can probably get power to them
You're going to HAVE to get power to them, because cameras that run on overhead lighting haven't been invented yet. And if you can get power to them, well aren't you running a wire to them...so they aren't really "wireless" are they? And since your running one wire to them, why not add a 2nd wire (shielded Cat 5 or 6 cable) at which point you'll have a rock solid system that will provide great video without the flaws in semi-wireless WiFi solutions. Alternatively, if festooning ethernet cable simply will not work then @bp2008's suggestion would be a lot better than cameras which are sold as "wireless." In essence BP2008's idea will allow you to utilize the highest quality cameras whereas cameras sold with built-in WiFi are generally junk cameras; if you're going in BP2008's direction take a look at Ubiquiti products. Last, is installing multiple PTZ cameras in the ceiling (above the bridge cranes) an option? 45x PTZ cameras mounted in the ceiling should allow you to see an ant crawling anywhere on the shop floor.

Donahue

n3wb
Reaction score
The crane is powered, I think I can siphon of that for electricity. They get power by running HV down the length of the crane, not by wires. Obviously this would not work if I could not get 110V up there, which is not a guarantee at the point. PTZ wouldn't work, the goal would be the camera moving with the crane, always looking at the hook. It sounds like my management may not want cameras in the shop anyways, so this may all be a moot point.