Good wireless camera recommendation?

ipcamdude22

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
Hi All,
I would like to add one more camera to my system for an area I would like to cover. I am thinking a dome and it will need to be wifi. I know with wifi cameras there are a lot of choices and issues with connectivity. Does anyone have any experience with one that they can recommend?

fenderman

Staff member
Reaction score
Hi All,
I would like to add one more camera to my system for an area I would like to cover. I am thinking a dome and it will need to be wifi. I know with wifi cameras there are a lot of choices and issues with connectivity. Does anyone have any experience with one that they can recommend?
By a standard ethernet camera, and use powerline adapters or a wifi bridge. Either will be better than any wifi module built into a camera.

Del Boy

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
It depends on distance. I actually had better results with a wireless camera with external antenna than with powerline adapters going to a shed in the back garden. I guess that's essentially a wireless bridge though. Built-in wifi can't even go through a couple of decent brick walls around here.

How far away will the camera be? Is there line-of-sight?

ipcamdude22

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
By a standard ethernet camera, and use powerline adapters or a wifi bridge. Either will be better than any wifi module built into a camera.
Thanks Fenderman, I have an old router I can probably load ddwrt and make a bridge out of, thanks for the suggestion.

ipcamdude22

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
It depends on distance. I actually had better results with a wireless camera with external antenna than with powerline adapters going to a shed in the back garden. I guess that's essentially a wireless bridge though. Built-in wifi can't even go through a couple of decent brick walls around here.

How far away will the camera be? Is there line-of-sight?
Pretty darn close, maybe 30 feet from an extender but it will be outside although near a window

Del Boy

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
10m with direct line-of-sight, well a built in one like DS-2CD2142FWD-IW will do that. Anything in-between and it won't do amazingly well and you'd be better off with 2MP.

What NVR are you using? To get a powerline one working at mine I ran a 2MP camera at 2048kbps H265. Anything higher and would cut out all the time.

nayr

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
are you powering it with osmosis? Ive never seen a wireless security camera in my life... they all have a wire of some sort, and if you have to run a wire for power.. you might as well give it a wired network connection, even if its merely power-line network adapters.