Google drive and BI

w1zofaz

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
I don't know if Google Drive did an update that went south or if BI has anything to do with it. But about a week and a half ago when I set BI to save all clips to a folder that I created for it in my Google Drive folder I have been having issues.

Sorry, Google Drive needs to quit.
An unknown issue occured and Google Drive needs to quit. Error: None

I have been using Google drive for a very long time and have never had an error before. But now it seems that Google Drive is quitting with the above error a lot. That worries me because if something were to happen and thieves stole my PC I would have nothing on record to show police if Google Drive chose that moment to pull that error.

Does anyone else use Google drive and is having this problem?

Oh, my Google Drive folder is on my main HD and not on an external one. But it is getting so annoying to where the first thing I do when sitting down in front of the PC is to look down at the task bar and hoover over it to make sure Google Drive says sync complete.

albone3000

n3wb
Reaction score
i am having the same problem. switched to onedrive for now, wish i could switch back.

w1zofaz

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
Got up this morning and yup, Google drive error. Would be in trouble if something happens during the night and my PC gets ripped. Nothing would be in the clouds because of Google pulling this crap.

albone3000

n3wb
Reaction score
I left google drive installed after I switched the BI folder to onedrive and google drive doesnt crash anymore. I guess its having problems with all the activity. One drive is working fine, they just dont give as much free space as google.

w1zofaz

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
Wow, One Drive is cheaper than Google drive on the TB level. I currently am paying $9.99 a month for a TB with Google drive. I am wondering if the Google drive problems have anything to do with my crappy ISP upload speed. Just did a test and it is only 4.42 Mbps and that is about average.

rightkick

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
Wow, One Drive is cheaper than Google drive on the TB level. I currently am paying $9.99 a month for a TB with Google drive. I am wondering if the Google drive problems have anything to do with my crappy ISP upload speed. Just did a test and it is only 4.42 Mbps and that is about average.

Are you bye chance on TWC? If so, they are upgrading their basic tiers of service. I'm on 30/5 right now but when the upgrade is complete (scheduled for this month) I'll have 300/20 or 30 - can't remember the upload at the moment. I'm in KY and I know they are doing Bowling Green as well so you might be in line.

w1zofaz

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
No, I am on Charter Spectrum. They have got a nice little monopoly here. I have got 60/5 but it really averages out to about 65/4. So better on the download for the most part, but slow as molassas for upload. :p

300/20 I am green and drooling.

w1zofaz

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
Had a good help chat with a Google Drive tech today. They wound up having do a delete of the drive folder, then empty my recycle bin. Then they had me do a complete uninstall of the Google drive pc client app. Gave me a link to download the newest client and had me install it. They said that should fix me up and they were going to forward it to a higher tech dept. Yadah yadah yadah. I even warned them that if drive failed tonight after I went to bed that I would have to downgrade it back to my 1.99 a month level and just keep stuff in it that did not have to be updated right away. That I would have to find an alternative.

Guess what, I have not even gone to bed yet and Google drive has quit working. Ugh... going to downgrade google tomorrow and up one drive a bit for heavier testing.

rightkick

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
Can BI interface with Amazon or iCloud? I can't stand Google or MS

w1zofaz

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
If it works just like MS or GD I don't see how it wouldn't work with BI. If Amazon or Icloud syncs directly with your PC that uses a "sync" folder I would go ahead and try it. Don't they have a free trial period?

What I have done is keep the BI db in the stock BI folder and just set the clips to save to: C:\Users\pc\OneDrive\Blue Iris\New

This is just my second day of testing MS Onedrive but so far I have been very pleased. I have already upgraded to the 1TB plan for just 6.99 a month. That is cheaper than Google drive, plus it comes with MS Office. I have also already downgraded my Google drive back to the original 1.99 plan. I will just use Google Drive to sync stuff that does not have to be automatic. But it was a breath of fresh air to get up this morning and see that everything during the night had synced just fine with Onedrive.

The only thing better that I can think of is if Blue Iris came out with its very own PoE+ NVR that ran on the BI software platform that could talk through my router to the net. Now that to me would be sheer awesomeness and I would no longer have to run my main PC 24/7 and I would still be able to back up to Onedrive. :)

I don't think any such animal is out there though. Companies that do the cloud storage can do it, but only with their own cams, and DVR's, to their own cloud.

rightkick

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
If it works just like MS or GD I don't see how it wouldn't work with BI. If Amazon or Icloud syncs directly with your PC that uses a "sync" folder I would go ahead and try it. Don't they have a free trial period?

What I have done is keep the BI db in the stock BI folder and just set the clips to save to: C:\Users\pc\OneDrive\Blue Iris\New

This is just my second day of testing MS Onedrive but so far I have been very pleased. I have already upgraded to the 1TB plan for just 6.99 a month. That is cheaper than Google drive, plus it comes with MS Office. I have also already downgraded my Google drive back to the original 1.99 plan. I will just use Google Drive to sync stuff that does not have to be automatic. But it was a breath of fresh air to get up this morning and see that everything during the night had synced just fine with Onedrive.

The only thing better that I can think of is if Blue Iris came out with its very own PoE+ NVR that ran on the BI software platform that could talk through my router to the net. Now that to me would be sheer awesomeness and I would no longer have to run my main PC 24/7 and I would still be able to back up to Onedrive. :)

I don't think any such animal is out there though. Companies that do the cloud storage can do it, but only with their own cams, and DVR's, to their own cloud.
DING DING DING! Red flag right there! I don't for one iota trust "cloud" services in the first place much less some obscure company somewhere. I'm leery about Amazon and iCloud as well but not as much. When I log into one of my Amcrest camera's via web interface, on the bottem left hand corner of my browser is shows it's trying to connect to some 54.x.x.x IP. I did a whois on the IP the other night but can't remember what it was.

A bit off topic there. Glad you got yours back up and working again.

w1zofaz

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
DING DING DING! Red flag right there! I don't for one iota trust "cloud" services in the first place much less some obscure company somewhere. I'm leery about Amazon and iCloud as well but not as much. When I log into one of my Amcrest camera's via web interface, on the bottem left hand corner of my browser is shows it's trying to connect to some 54.x.x.x IP. I did a whois on the IP the other night but can't remember what it was.

I don't totally trust the "cloud" either. But I do think it is better than "those" companies that own all their own stuff. Now as for cloud storage I don't stick anything on them that has passwords, banking information, etc... I am now just using Google drive for pictures, music, not secret docs, and so on. For one drive that is where I am backing up my cams clips now. If someone wants to hack that cloud and watch my sheds/yard/porches for me that would be fine. lol

emailrob

n3wb
Reaction score
I will (once its all up and running) likely be syncing to CrashPlan rather than my Google Drive. I have it already installed on my NAS for Photo and file backup, and have 300 gig there already without issue (mainly photos and personal videos). Mostly I worry about the time it'll take to upload as I'll be doing direct to disc writing which will give large file sizes.

I'll have to see whether having a process for converting these videos to something smaller before upload, or indeed just convert event (motion) based videos?

Warsaws

Young grasshopper
Reaction score

do you allow your cameras to connect to the internet?

dustyz

n3wb
Reaction score
I'm really new to Blue Iris, but I also use Google Drive to dump stills to the cloud. I ran into the same crash problem, and use a scheduled script to restart Google Drive daily. I know that isn't a permanent fix, but it does ok in a pinch. (The following is for a 64-bit OS, you'll need to change the Program Files directory for 32.)

taskkill /f /im googledrivesync.exe
ping 1.1.1.1 -n 1 -w 2000 > nul
start "" "C:\Program Files (x86)\Google\Drive\googledrivesync.exe"
exit

Put that in a bat file, then set up a schedule task in Windows to run the script daily, hourly, or whatever.

Good luck. Let us know if you find a long term solution.