Google Fiber - WAN Remote Access Problems

thejbgc

n3wb
Reaction score
Hi,

I recently setup a blue iris server with many IP cams for a storage unit here in Utah. This business has google fiber which is great speed and pretty easy router management but I'm struggling to get it to connect remotely. I've set up the static DCHP, port forwarding, etc as I usually do but nothing seems to work. I've called google and they say they have no problems with anyone else trying to connect to servers remotely with proper setup. I've attached screenshots, maybe I'm a big dummy and missing something obvious but I cannot connect on mobile app or web remotely.

Has anyone else had trouble with Google Fiber?

Attachments

cainrand

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
Probably have to set up port forward in Googles box to your box.
Use your own router - Fiber Help

"Any externally facing network configurations (such as port forwarding and firewalls) need to be configured on both the Fiber Network Box and on your own router."

Last edited:

bp2008

Staff member
Reaction score
Those configurations look right to me, but you should probably disable UPnP (Universal Plug and Play -- I see it there in one of the screenshots) just in case something is using it to steal port 8080 out from under you like was happening with your other system we dealt with via PM. May need to reboot the router after disabling UPnP if it is anything like the last one.

thejbgc

n3wb
Reaction score
cainrand; Thank you for the reply. I only actually use Google's box, I do not use a personal router as it is all hooked up to google's provided router. I connect to it by 192.168.1.1 or fiber.google.com account.

bp2008; Thanks once again! I made sure to disable UPnP, reset the box, changed it all to port 81 instead of 8080 as well as disabled windows firewall and still nothing... I used canyouseeme.org and it won't show port 81 even though it is being forwarded...

fenderman

Staff member
Reaction score
Side note, you can change the cameras event colors on the cameras so they each appear independently on the timeline...sometimes lower ports are blocked..try using 8584...
Best practice is to use vpn...

tangent

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
Best practice is to use vpn...
Everyone should set up a VPN server for remote access, but port forwarding is an even bigger problem with a super fast connection. The botnets love super fast nodes for ddos and if malware gets in they can exfil you data dangerously fast.

Last edited: