Google Nest Device Access API now available

DDD1

n3wb
Reaction score
Hi,

It's now finally possible to get the camera stream from Nest cameras via Googles new API access (Device Access | Google Developers)
It doesn't work for me, I don't know if its me or if BI has problems getting an RTSPS stream (secure RTSP) .
Anyone had any luck with this?

BR
D

pmcross

Pulling my weight
Reaction score
This sounds promising. I’m still reading up on this, but it sounds like we’ll be able to pull doorbell chime events in a home automation application, like Home Assistant. Also are you trying to pull the live stream from the cloud or from the cameras local IP?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

DDD1

n3wb
Reaction score
I seems like we will be able to get the most out of the camera (from googles servers) but not put anything back (aswer doorbell and so on):

CameraEventImageThis trait belongs to any device that supports generation of images from events. GenerateImage
CameraImageThis trait belongs to any device that supports taking images.
CameraLiveStreamThis trait belongs to any device that supports live streaming. GenerateRtspStream
ExtendRtspStream
StopRtspStream
CameraMotionThis trait belongs to any device that supports motion detection events. Motion
CameraPersonThis trait belongs to any device that supports person detection events. Person
CameraSoundThis trait belongs to any device that supports sound detection events. Sound
DoorbellChimeThis trait belongs to any device that supports a doorbell chime and related press events. Chime
InfoThis trait belongs to any device for device-related information.

But aside from all the tokens that has to be renewed all the time, the stream you get is an RTSPS-stream and I cant get that to work. Not even VLC will display anything.

TheLaw

n3wb
Reaction score
Has anyone figured out how to pull this stream into Blue Iris? Home Assistant has an integration that can, but HA does not handle streams well at all.

DarkHelmet

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
Get Started | Device Access | Google Developers walks you through pretty much everything. its not a simple "heres the URL" process. you have to create an account, authorize devices, create an API "project," etc. after skimming it, it seems like the access token expires, so your stream would go down at some point and youd have to get a new token. but not 100% on that. im probably just gonna stick with using the public cam url since thats working fine. that info is available elsewhere.

DDD1

n3wb
Reaction score
Even if you get everything running, you're still stuck with an secure RTSP stream that almost nothing can play.

TheLaw

n3wb
Reaction score
Have had this working without issue and integrated with Home Assistant (Integration using Device Console has been available for months). Just not able to get it working in BI, with Device Console.

DDD1

n3wb
Reaction score
Home Assistant is the only software where this has been added, as far as I know.