Google Wifi a Router for Use with IP Cameras?

camb

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
My expensive Nighthawk router has turned out to be a dud for my home use. I wanted to try Google Wifi.

Has anyone had experience with Google Wifi as a router for IP cameras? With only one port, I will be attaching a POE switch to it. I assume port forwarding will be easy?

fenderman

Staff member
Reaction score
My expensive Nighthawk router has turned out to be a dud for my home use. I wanted to try Google Wifi.

Has anyone had experience with Google Wifi as a router for IP cameras? With only one port, I will be attaching a POE switch to it. I assume port forwarding will be easy?
you dont want to port forward cameras...setup a vpn
if you are having issues and want simplicity look at some of the home mesh networks out there that seem to provide good coverage...

tangent

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
IP cameras work MUCH better on wired ethernet than wifi. More than 1-2 wifi cams is hard to pull off successfully.

Reaction score
Asus RT-AC68U (also known as T-Mobile TM-AC1900). Excellent signal coverage and highly reliable when using Merlin, AsusWRT, DD-WRT, Tomato, or any other third-party firmware.

Camit

Pulling my weight
Reaction score
I would not go with google sorry, you should try Ubiquiti

Also if you already have your main network setup and your looking to add a second network to it, check this it's a amazing router and cheap

Ubiquiti EdgeRouter X Advanced Gigabit Ethernet Routers ER-X 256MB Storage 5 Gigabit RJ45 ports Amazon.com: Ubiquiti EdgeRouter X Advanced Gigabit Ethernet Routers ER-X 256MB Storage 5 Gigabit RJ45 ports: Computers & Accessories

Also POE switch here

TP-Link 8-Port Fast Ethernet PoE Desktop Switch with 4-PoE Ports (TL-SF1008P) Amazon.com: TP-Link 8-Port Fast Ethernet PoE Desktop Switch with 4-PoE Ports (TL-SF1008P): Electronics

As an Amazon Associate IPCamTalk earns from qualifying purchases.